COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Parkour and Climbing

What about climbing ? Will the game have climbing mechanics ? like Assasins creed ? or something simpler ? with climbing tools ? ive already seen the sideflip animation, and some other acrobatics. it would be really cool tho to be able to learn it ingame

1/15/2017 3:24:48 PM #1

I've been a bit curious about this myself. I would imagine there will be some rudimentary system along those lines, but nothing as fancy as AC.

1/15/2017 5:34:13 PM #2

That was one of the biggest "selling points" of one of the first media videos released , a guy swinging on a horizontal pole and backflipping to the ground if I remember correctly .. this definitely needs to be put into game , wether it be before or after 1.0 release it should happen I hope !

1/15/2017 7:31:13 PM #3

I also remember the sideflip off of a building video. Havent heard much talk about it besides that clip and the princess bride sword fight video

1/15/2017 7:55:10 PM #4

As someone that spent hours in LOTRO jumping from building to building to attempt to get out of the map, I can see the pros and cons of allowing jumping!!!!!!!

But I hope there is some sort of jump / climb available.

Aiming to play on the EU server.

If you live by the sword you will die by the sword.

If you are a UK player based in the Southwest be good to hear from you - we need to form friends now.

3/7/2017 2:49:41 AM #5

I believe a jumping system similar to Black Desert would be fine. Parkour is all good but if it discourages them then leave it out.

"...When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." ~Chief Tecumseh

3/7/2017 4:42:14 AM #6

They've showed the sidewide jump off a building; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKi2re8etZU

a climbing up a wall animation (one of the DJs, couldn't find which one from a quick skim)

as well as jumping\spining on a horizontal pole (pretty sure same DJ as the wall climbing)

So far it all shown was by hand. Though the climbing video was still basically wireframe. So doesn't really show the system in use.

3/7/2017 9:14:56 PM #7

https://www.twitch.tv/chroniclesofelyria

live stream from pax shows jumping and climbing in the mines

3/7/2017 9:35:37 PM #8

I think that video answers the questions of "Will we have climbing?" lol.

3/7/2017 10:19:44 PM #9

Bit overdone in the Twitch video with the superhuman strength but obviously pre-alpha, looks great in general. Reminds me of Tomb Raider and if they refine it like that I'll be happy. Seems like it will be really hard to do though with such a dynamic world.

3/8/2017 4:58:33 AM #10

now we know, and knowing is half the battle.

3/9/2017 10:18:14 PM #11

For pre-alpha, the parkour is amazingly well done. It'll probably smooth out some and it looks like a lot of action and fun just in 'moving around', unlike most mmos.