COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TECHNICAL SUPPORT
pre-fill Friend Code in hyperlink

Is there a way to pre-fill a Friend Code in a hyperlink so the fcode field auto populates? Would love to disseminate invites this way.

1/16/2017 2:52:28 AM #1

I would like this as well.

1/16/2017 4:43:19 AM #2

Hey Bardas,

This is something we've long considered and appreciate the ease it would allow someone to get others to join the website using their friend code.

However, we're not convinced that's a good thing. There's a certain barrier to entry of having your friend enter a friend code in order to register that's nice to have. It discourages people from spraying links all over the internet hoping people will see it, register, and ultimately grant store credit.

I'm not saying that's what you'd do, but it becomes infinitely more possible.

We just need to make a calculated decision about whether such advertising and referrals really serve the purpose friend codes were designed to serve.

1/16/2017 7:15:43 AM #3

Posted By Caspian at 05:43 AM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Hey Bardas,

This is something we've long considered and appreciate the ease it would allow someone to get others to join the website using their friend code.

However, we're not convinced that's a good thing. There's a certain barrier to entry of having your friend enter a friend code in order to register that's nice to have. It discourages people from spraying links all over the internet hoping people will see it, register, and ultimately grant store credit.

I'm not saying that's what you'd do, but it becomes infinitely more possible.

We just need to make a calculated decision about whether such advertising and referrals really serve the purpose friend codes were designed to serve.

Though I understand your argument I would like to point out that this is pretty standard at the moment. Most mmos are doing it. At the moment I got a friend waiting on support to get his account deleted because he forgot to enter the code.

Yes, I told him to make a new account but he is pretty special about stuff like that ^^

1/16/2017 7:56:30 AM #4

He doesn't mean you shouldn't advertise. Its just not the purpose friend codes were intended for.

Personally I've sent out countless adverts but not linked my code.

Should do another wave some time soon.

1/18/2017 1:03:06 AM #5

Related to this, to be able to enter a friend code, after account creation, would be a blessing, mention the game to someone, they rush to look creating an account, mention friend code "Oh, I already created an account and pledged" well then..

I see little difference, using it at creation or after, they will still be entering one friend code.

1/18/2017 2:28:37 AM #6

Posted By Daelyn at 5:03 PM - Tue Jan 17 2017

Related to this, to be able to enter a friend code, after account creation, would be a blessing, mention the game to someone, they rush to look creating an account, mention friend code "Oh, I already created an account and pledged" well then..

I see little difference, using it at creation or after, they will still be entering one friend code.

There's a huge difference, and the system was abused heavily previously.

1/18/2017 7:26:00 PM #7

The thing i would actually like to see is what friends used your referral code, or give the friends who have registered to add in the referral code afterwords. I have had a few times now that friends registered only to realize after that they forgot to add the referral code.

1/18/2017 11:52:18 PM #8

instead of asking the support to delete the account or the option to add the code after registration, maybe you could ask the support to add the friend code to the other account

1/19/2017 7:56:17 AM #9

I think Friend Code in a hyperlink is excellent idea. I mean technically there is nothing stopping people from making pre-made messages and posting them everywhere. I think it comes down to convenience of users. Most users tend to forget about small staff like including "Friend Code". I would like to see Friend Code in a Hyperlink implemented as soon as possible.

1/19/2017 2:12:31 PM #10

can you not only use a friends code / referal code once per account anyway? why not simply leave the option to enter the friends code any time for an account.

1/19/2017 3:42:12 PM #11

See this post on why we no longer allow people to enter Friend Codes after-the-fact.

That's not coming back. It's costly to us, inaccurate, and allows people to use their referrals as a currency within the community. That wasn't the intended purpose of the friend codes.

Locking this thread. Not having URI's with a friend code isn't a bug or a "need for tech support." It's a feature request.

We've heard your request, we have our reasons for not doing it, and people +1'ing this thread isn't going to make it happen sooner.