COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
SpatialOS only works with Unity.

At present, there is no support in SpatialOS 9.0.0 or the upcoming 10.0.0 for UE4.

A proof of concept project existed for 8.0.0, but no further development is ongoing for that and it was not updated to 9.0.0.

I'm curious as to which avenue (Entirely backend c++?) CoE will pursue to adapt SpatialOS to work with UE4.

1/16/2017 8:17:29 PM #16

Posted By Morbis at 2:02 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

For those who don't want to go digging; Rhynedahll is a developer of a project that is also using SpatialOS and Unreal. He has been active on the Improbable forums, and has had encounters with the SpatialOS developers that makes him question their current commitment to the Unreal engine.

This has been exacerbated by the fact that SpatialOS 10, the most recent design branch, is focused almost entirely (from my layman eyes) on improving support for Unity, with no mention of Unreal.

Given that Chronicles of Elyria is probably the most visible SpatialOS project that plans to use Unreal, he is here seeing if he can get a response from SBS about whether or not they have an inside line on what's going on.

So he does have some reason to question the current status quo assumptions about SpatialOS and Unreal.

All correct (or very close) save for the fact that we are not currently using SpatialOS in our porject as this is not currently possible.

And it should be stated that our project is not only not in the same league with CoE, it's not even in the same universe.

1/16/2017 8:22:36 PM #17

Posted By Rhynedahll at 9:08 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

SpatialOS does not now work with Unreal and Improbable does not state when such integration will exist.

"Coming Soon" is a open ended phrase that includes any point in the future. It does not mean within a week, or a month or even a year.

I don't believe that I have said that SpatialOS will never ("isn't going to) work with Unreal, but if you perceive that I have, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Improbable has not at this point given any time frame for Unreal integration.

There exists no experimental branch or sample project that the average person can access at this time to use the current version of SpatialOS with Unreal.

I think most of us understand where you are coming from.

The only thing that was slightly putting me off was that you claimed there was "no further development" for UE4 which I could not (and still can't) find a source for. (Might be me overlooking something though, I'll admit)

I also think it is right to question whether UE4 support will happen in timely fashion. So it is available in time for CoE or not. But Caspian claimed in the Dec 29th Blog that they start with the integration this month so I think if they make any progress it will take a few weeks before we know whether it actually works out that way or not.

1/16/2017 8:25:00 PM #18

Posted By Mordakai at 2:08 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

For those who don't want to go digging; Rhynedahll is a developer of a project that is also using SpatialOS and Unreal. He has been active on the Improbable forums, and has had encounters with the SpatialOS developers that makes him question their current commitment to the Unreal engine.

This has been exacerbated by the fact that SpatialOS 10, the most recent design branch, is focused almost entirely (from my layman eyes) on improving support for Unity, with no mention of Unreal.

Given that Chronicles of Elyria is probably the most visible SpatialOS project that plans to use Unreal, he is here seeing if he can get a response from SBS about whether or not they have an inside line on what's going on.

So he does have some reason to question the current status quo assumptions about SpatialOS and Unreal.

Funny I was curious about something along these lines seeing he has only 4 posts here, all of which in this very forum.. As a first post it usually isn't along these lines.. Welcome to CoE I hope we are the first to set the standards of future gaming, pledge some to help us grow, thanks for the visit. I hope your stay is a long one!

As an avid MMORPGer, I have been following CoE since I first learned of it, somewhere around the time of the Kickstarter. I have refrained from getting too excited about its potential because I have been waiting for actual gameplay footage.

CoE is one of three upcoming games on my radar and I will continue watching its progress with anticipation.

1/16/2017 8:50:38 PM #19

Posted By Rhynedahll at 9:17 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

All correct (or very close) save for the fact that we are not currently using SpatialOS in our porject as this is not currently possible.

And it should be stated that our project is not only not in the same league with CoE, it's not even in the same universe.

Dude, why don't you just message Caspian and ask him?

1/16/2017 9:20:37 PM #20

As far as I know, SBS uses UE4 for the visual part only. So they don't need any support from SpatialOS for all the other stuff. Basically, the physics can be done by whatever engine - so they can choose one which works fine with SpatialOS. Same goes for AI and what not. SpatialOS will simulate the world and then send the "metadata", like "player xyz just jumped from position A to B, to UE4. Which then is display.

So it's really possible that SBS uses UE4 together with SpatialOS since they don't require 100% integration of UE4 features.

But I might be wrong.

Friend Code: A1A1E8

1/16/2017 10:02:32 PM #21

From a company perspective, keep in mind that contracts between different studios often come with their own non-disclosure agreements. If we don't hear anything from Caspian on this topic right away, don't take it to mean they aren't being transparent but rather honoring an agreement they may have made.

For me, it's enough to know that both companies know their capabilities and know what they want out of each of their technologies. They seem to have come to an agreement that they can get it done. Let us give them some room to get things taken care of. As a financial contributor to the project, I'm okay with the direction so far and don't feel that the company has to let us peek behind the curtain every time someone has a "concern."

1/17/2017 4:22:36 AM #22

They posted back in October that support for UE4 had been added in an experimental capacity. Read about it here:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/13006/Mission-Improbable

1/17/2017 4:23:50 AM #23

1/19/2017 10:54:18 PM #24

Improbable has just announced that they are shooting for a March 2017 launch of an experimental UE4 SDK.

Thanks to everyone that commented here.