COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
How to properly address Royalty and Aristocracy when speaking to them.

For the most part:

Most of us Happen to live in the US of A. So by living in a non-monarchical system, we generally have no clue how to properly address anyone of any rank. So we tend to come off as just, "making it up as we go" and pretending to be "proper", and by doing so we unintentionally make a fool of ourselves.

So how am I supposed to address someone of rank?

It's quite simple actually and with this quick little guide I have thrown together with the help of a wikihow article, you will have it down in no time.

Title, Form of Address, & Introductions:

Royalty

Title: King/Queen

Form of Address: Your Majesty

Introduce As: His/Her Majesty the King/Queen

In conversation:

If you are addressed by royalty, your first response should always end with the long form of respectful address. For example, if the Queen asks you "How are you enjoying the Kingdom?" you could respond, "It's wonderful, Your Majesty." For all other members of the royal family besides the King/Queen, your first response should use "Your Royal Highness" instead.

Use short forms of address for the rest of the conversation.

All female members of the Royal Family, including the Queen, should be addressed as "Ma'am", with a short "a" as in "jam". Address all male members as "Sir".

• If you mention a royal family member in the third person, always use a full title (such as "The Prince of Wales") or "His/Her Royal Highness". Referring to someone by name ("Prince Philip" ) may be considered rude.

• Note that the correct title for the Queen is "Her Majesty the Queen". Avoid "Queen of England", as that is just one of many titles that refer to a specific country.

Title: Prince/Princess

Form of Address: Your Royal Highness

Introduce As: His/Her Royal Highness, the Prince/Princess of...

In conversation:

Refer to the section above with respect to their title.

Nobility

Title: Duke/Duchess

Form of Address: Your Grace

Introduce As: His/Her Grace, the Duke/Duchess of...

In conversation: Address dukes and duchesses by title.

These belong to the highest grade of peerage. Address them as "Duke" or "Duchess". After the initial greeting, you may address them the same way or as "Your Grace".

• As with any title, you do not need to include the location ("Duke of Mayfair") unless it is necessary to avoid confusion.

• If you are making a formal introduction, say "His/Her Grace the Duke/Duchess" followed by the rest of the title.

Lower Nobility & Aristocracy

Title: Counts/Countess, Baron/Baroness & Mayors

Form of Address: Men: Lord (Last Name), Women: Lady (Last Name)

Introduce As: (By appropriate title)

For example:

• Mayor Kuthedk
  • Baron Leonhart
  • Count Revel
  • Viscount Wodehouse

In conversation: Refer to all lower ranks by Lord and Lady.

In conversation and verbal introductions, avoid reference to all other titles besides Duke or Duchess. Use "Lord" and "Lady" instead, followed by the last name. The following titles are only used in formal or legal correspondence:

• Marchioness and Marquis (Noble Title)
  • Countess and Earl/Count (Noble Title)
  • Viscountess and Viscount (Noble Title)
  • Baroness/Baron & Mayor
Address the peer's children by courtesy titles.

This can get slightly complicated, so look up the exact scenario below:

• Address the son of a duke or marquess as "Lord" followed by the first name.

• Address to the daughter of a duke, marquess, or count as "Lady" followed by the first name.

• If you will be meeting a peer's heir apparent (generally the eldest son), look up his title. He will often use a secondary title of his father's, which is always of a lower rank.

• In all other cases, the child has no special title. ("The Hon." is used only in writing.)

Title: Baronet/Knight & Dame

Form of Address: Sir (First Name) & Dame (First Name)

Introduce As:

Sir (First Name, Last Name), Wife: Lady (Last Name)

Dame (First Name, Last Name)

In conversation: When speaking with baronets and knights.

Use the following guide when talking to someone who holds these non-noble distinctions:

• Baronet or Knight: "Sir" followed by the first name

• Baronetess and Dame: "Dame" followed by the first name

• Wife of a baronet or knight: "Lady" followed by the first name

• Husband of a baronetess or dame: no special title

Tips & Warnings:

• The person's own expressed preference about how they would like to be addressed overrides the general rules.

• If you are caught unprepared, it's probably better to admit ignorance rather than "winging it." If possible, ask a protocol officer or another un-ranked or lower-ranked person.

• This article deals specifically with meeting British peers and royalty. Aristocracies in other countries may have different etiquette, and (unlike the British) may punish you for failing to observe the correct codes of behavior. So always ask what it is in your Kingdom/ Monarchy.

1/16/2017 11:07:54 PM #1

You! You stole my idea! ;-) That's what you get for being lazy kids!

Just two things. The king is 'Sire' and not 'Sir'. A small but important difference.

And you missed out on the grand Duke. Though I agree that the title has a somewhat.... Troubled history in Central Europe the grand Duke is part of the royalty and by that a royal highness.

1/16/2017 11:08:18 PM #2

This is nicely written, and is good information, not sure if it a general discussion thread though or if it would be better served in the roleplaying forum.

1/16/2017 11:15:22 PM #3

more edits to come... I stupidly forgot to reserve the first comment as well...

1/16/2017 11:20:22 PM #4

This is all based on modern usage, and neglects to acknowledge that different cultures of Europe had different ways of doing things. For example, a Spanish Duke is called Your Excellency, not Your Grace.

As important as it is to acknowledge the historical workings of these titles, it's also important to acknowledge that there is no established wrong way to do things in the cultures of Elyria. If you, as a duke or king, chose to adopt systems closely matching conventions established in Earth's history, that will certainly heighten the immersion for some. But let's not pin anyone down creatively or culturally by calling them fools, shall we?

1/16/2017 11:22:15 PM #5

depending on the kingdom there was also a form of introduction for counts, and earls, for a duke you would use duke wich is ''please welcome, his grace, the duke of ...'' for a count count you would use ''please welcome, the right honorable, the count of ...''

1/16/2017 11:25:44 PM #6

Posted By Bombastus at 12:20 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

This is all based on modern usage, and neglects to acknowledge that different cultures of Europe had different ways of doing things. For example, a Spanish Duke is called Your Excellency, not Your Grace.

As important as it is to acknowledge the historical workings of these titles, it's also important to acknowledge that there is no established wrong way to do things in the cultures of Elyria. If you, as a duke or king, chose to adopt systems closely matching conventions established in Earth's history, that will certainly heighten the immersion for some. But let's not pin anyone down creatively or culturally by calling them fools, shall we?

That comment had to come. Just see it as historical context for people who care and want to use it for their RP. Of course you are right, he is referring to the modern British titles. There are loads of different titles and ways to address them in Central Europe and England alone. And than we still didn't take into account the Eastern or Western parts of Europe. Or Asia. Or India. Or the time of midage we are talking about. But why pretend it's rocket science? It's a nice PA.

1/16/2017 11:28:08 PM #7

Posted By Bombastus at 5:20 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Yes as I see where you're coming from, I have added a tips and warnings section at the bottom to add that this is mostly based off of the British Monarchy system and although I did say "making a fool of ourselves." It has never been my intention to say that people who mess this up are fools. I saw it more or less as a figure of speech as to say, "Man, they just really have no idea what they are doing." and I myself am guilty of this as you have pointed out there are several different Monarchical systems out there each with a different preference.

1/17/2017 2:02:26 AM #8

You went from Duke to Baron, but Count was a pledge tier as well.

Also known as AvA in Discord.

1/17/2017 2:16:38 AM #9

I Should point out a lot of people who are not interested in RP will refuse to speak this way, and others will refuse to do so on principle. for instance if i know a king has earned himself down out of the level of respect deserved by your average person, i will address him as such, regardless of the consequences. if he has done a good job i will address him as i address everyone else who has done a good job at what is arguably a very very difficult job, with a great amount of respect, but in the manner that i show such respect, and not any other.

1/17/2017 2:37:27 AM #10

Posted By Bazak at 6:16 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

I Should point out a lot of people who are not interested in RP will refuse to speak this way, and others will refuse to do so on principle. for instance if i know a king has earned himself down out of the level of respect deserved by your average person, i will address him as such, regardless of the consequences. if he has done a good job i will address him as i address everyone else who has done a good job at what is arguably a very very difficult job, with a great amount of respect, but in the manner that i show such respect, and not any other.

I think this is an important distinction to make. On the one hand there's playing the role of nobility in a game and on the other is actual nobility who required respect as a matter of life and death and the preservation of government. Forms of address will vary accordingly.

1/17/2017 3:06:35 AM #11

Posted By cjmarsh at 9:37 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

I think this is an important distinction to make. On the one hand there's playing the role of nobility in a game and on the other is actual nobility who required respect as a matter of life and death and the preservation of government. Forms of address will vary accordingly.

Indeed, i think the smart rulers will not seek to impose a specific form of address to those with titles. though considering this is just a game, and death does not have the same consequences, i don't think severe enough disrespect being punished would be bad.

if i run into a king somehow and start spewing vile invectives at him and slandering his name with lies, a quick trial to make a point that slandering people is not nice and a punishment (fitting the crime), would not be out of place i think. but then again most of the things i would consider severe disrespect would be considered minor crimes anyways so......

either way trying to enforce forms of address for royalty, nobility and aristocracy, is probably a bad idea if you want people to be happy with your ruling them.

1/17/2017 3:22:59 AM #12

I would be more interested in what you would suggest we use for addressing the titles in CoE than the british monarchy. For example, I would never use Ma'am when talking about my "in-game" Queen.

I would also make a distinguish between the aristocracy and the nobility, so "Your Majesty/Sovereign/Royal Highness/Eminence" might be used for the King/Queen, and highness just generally for the royal family, "Lord/Sire/(Grace If higher ranked noble aren't present)" for dukes and Lord/lady for Counts. And then for the aristocracy "Sir" or something like that.

Though I agree with Bombastus, maybe mention that you're basing it off the modern british monarchy, still a nice list though.

1/17/2017 3:36:16 AM #13

Posted By AvariciaMoon at 8:02 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Yes that is true, However they also fall into the category of Lord's and Lady's.

Posted By Bazak at 9:06 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Indeed, i think the smart rulers will not seek to impose a specific form of address to those with titles. though considering this is just a game, and death does not have the same consequences, i don't think severe enough disrespect being punished would be bad.

if i run into a king somehow and start spewing vile invectives at him and slandering his name with lies, a quick trial to make a point that slandering people is not nice and a punishment (fitting the crime), would not be out of place i think. but then again most of the things i would consider severe disrespect would be considered minor crimes anyways so......

either way trying to enforce forms of address for royalty, nobility and aristocracy, is probably a bad idea if you want people to be happy with your ruling them.

not really trying to enforce anything just inform. I know several people (including myself before typing this article up) that just have no clue any proper way of addressing their superiors. Again it all depends on how much stalk you want to put into rp and if this is not something you are interested in doing, its not something you have to do so long as it doesn't somehow cost you within your kingdom and others to just ignore this.

1/17/2017 3:47:59 AM #14

Posted By Liva at 9:22 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

I would be more interested in what you would suggest we use for addressing the titles in CoE than the british monarchy. For example, I would never use Ma'am when talking about my "in-game" Queen.

I would also make a distinguish between the aristocracy and the nobility, so "Your Majesty/Sovereign/Royal Highness/Eminence" might be used for the King/Queen, and highness just generally for the royal family, "Lord/Sire/(Grace If higher ranked noble aren't present)" for dukes and Lord/lady for Counts. And then for the aristocracy "Sir" or something like that.

Though I agree with Bombastus, maybe mention that you're basing it off the modern british monarchy, still a nice list though.

I think the idea of creating a new addressing system is almost something we as a whole should come up with. I think I got the ball started with this post and would gladly go about creating a new system but, I would strongly urge others to make proposals as well.

1/17/2017 3:58:48 AM #15

Posted By kuthedk at 10:36 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Posted By AvariciaMoon at 8:02 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Yes that is true, However they also fall into the category of Lord's and Lady's.

Posted By Bazak at 9:06 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

not really trying to enforce anything just inform. I know several people (including myself before typing this article up) that just have no clue any proper way of addressing their superiors. Again it all depends on how much stalk you want to put into rp and if this is not something you are interested in doing, its not something you have to do so long as it doesn't somehow cost you within your kingdom and others to just ignore this.

probably would have been better to put this into the RP forum then, general is not the best place for this. as the assumption most would have (without you mentioning and making it clear in your first paragraph)