COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
How to properly address Royalty and Aristocracy when speaking to them.

For the most part:

Most of us Happen to live in the US of A. So by living in a non-monarchical system, we generally have no clue how to properly address anyone of any rank. So we tend to come off as just, "making it up as we go" and pretending to be "proper", and by doing so we unintentionally make a fool of ourselves.

So how am I supposed to address someone of rank?

It's quite simple actually and with this quick little guide I have thrown together with the help of a wikihow article, you will have it down in no time.

Title, Form of Address, & Introductions:

Royalty

Title: King/Queen

Form of Address: Your Majesty

Introduce As: His/Her Majesty the King/Queen

In conversation:

If you are addressed by royalty, your first response should always end with the long form of respectful address. For example, if the Queen asks you "How are you enjoying the Kingdom?" you could respond, "It's wonderful, Your Majesty." For all other members of the royal family besides the King/Queen, your first response should use "Your Royal Highness" instead.

Use short forms of address for the rest of the conversation.

All female members of the Royal Family, including the Queen, should be addressed as "Ma'am", with a short "a" as in "jam". Address all male members as "Sir".

• If you mention a royal family member in the third person, always use a full title (such as "The Prince of Wales") or "His/Her Royal Highness". Referring to someone by name ("Prince Philip" ) may be considered rude.

• Note that the correct title for the Queen is "Her Majesty the Queen". Avoid "Queen of England", as that is just one of many titles that refer to a specific country.

Title: Prince/Princess

Form of Address: Your Royal Highness

Introduce As: His/Her Royal Highness, the Prince/Princess of...

In conversation:

Refer to the section above with respect to their title.

Nobility

Title: Duke/Duchess

Form of Address: Your Grace

Introduce As: His/Her Grace, the Duke/Duchess of...

In conversation: Address dukes and duchesses by title.

These belong to the highest grade of peerage. Address them as "Duke" or "Duchess". After the initial greeting, you may address them the same way or as "Your Grace".

• As with any title, you do not need to include the location ("Duke of Mayfair") unless it is necessary to avoid confusion.

• If you are making a formal introduction, say "His/Her Grace the Duke/Duchess" followed by the rest of the title.

Lower Nobility & Aristocracy

Title: Counts/Countess, Baron/Baroness & Mayors

Form of Address: Men: Lord (Last Name), Women: Lady (Last Name)

Introduce As: (By appropriate title)

For example:

• Mayor Kuthedk
  • Baron Leonhart
  • Count Revel
  • Viscount Wodehouse

In conversation: Refer to all lower ranks by Lord and Lady.

In conversation and verbal introductions, avoid reference to all other titles besides Duke or Duchess. Use "Lord" and "Lady" instead, followed by the last name. The following titles are only used in formal or legal correspondence:

• Marchioness and Marquis (Noble Title)
  • Countess and Earl/Count (Noble Title)
  • Viscountess and Viscount (Noble Title)
  • Baroness/Baron & Mayor
Address the peer's children by courtesy titles.

This can get slightly complicated, so look up the exact scenario below:

• Address the son of a duke or marquess as "Lord" followed by the first name.

• Address to the daughter of a duke, marquess, or count as "Lady" followed by the first name.

• If you will be meeting a peer's heir apparent (generally the eldest son), look up his title. He will often use a secondary title of his father's, which is always of a lower rank.

• In all other cases, the child has no special title. ("The Hon." is used only in writing.)

Title: Baronet/Knight & Dame

Form of Address: Sir (First Name) & Dame (First Name)

Introduce As:

Sir (First Name, Last Name), Wife: Lady (Last Name)

Dame (First Name, Last Name)

In conversation: When speaking with baronets and knights.

Use the following guide when talking to someone who holds these non-noble distinctions:

• Baronet or Knight: "Sir" followed by the first name

• Baronetess and Dame: "Dame" followed by the first name

• Wife of a baronet or knight: "Lady" followed by the first name

• Husband of a baronetess or dame: no special title

Tips & Warnings:

• The person's own expressed preference about how they would like to be addressed overrides the general rules.

• If you are caught unprepared, it's probably better to admit ignorance rather than "winging it." If possible, ask a protocol officer or another un-ranked or lower-ranked person.

• This article deals specifically with meeting British peers and royalty. Aristocracies in other countries may have different etiquette, and (unlike the British) may punish you for failing to observe the correct codes of behavior. So always ask what it is in your Kingdom/ Monarchy.

1/17/2017 4:14:40 AM #16

Posted By Bazak at 9:58 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

probably would have been better to put this into the RP forum then, general is not the best place for this. as the assumption most would have (without you mentioning and making it clear in your first paragraph)

Lol these quotes are getting out of hand, mind if I just trim it down? So in hindsight this in RP might have been a better place, However I feel that if we can at least get this discussion going as it has been. We can actually come up with a much better system (or systems) that better fits CoE and isn't a direct rip from only one place on earth such as this guide.

1/17/2017 4:18:36 AM #17

Posted By kuthedk at 11:14 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Posted By Bazak at 9:58 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

probably would have been better to put this into the RP forum then, general is not the best place for this. as the assumption most would have (without you mentioning and making it clear in your first paragraph)

Lol these quotes are getting out of hand, mind if I just trim it down? So in hindsight this in RP might have been a better place, However I feel that if we can at least get this discussion going as it has been. We can actually come up with a much better system (or systems) that better fits CoE and isn't a direct rip from only one place on earth such as this guide.

hehe, ya good idea trimming it. however i do think asking a mod to move it to RP would be a good idea, you will get the people who actually care to RP in there, the people most likely to contribute to this conversation as well.

rather than people like me who intend to do exactly what we do IRL.

1/17/2017 6:47:05 AM #18

Despite what anyone says, I think this post was very informative and maybe some kingdoms will take note of this. I know myself I was wondering how a countess was going to be addressed though I'm sure each kingdom in Elyria will have their own way of things such as Vornair calling their counts thanes and dukes as Jarls instead for example. Every kingdom has their own "theme" to it.

1/17/2017 6:55:31 AM #19

Honestly I don't give a damn how people address me. They can call me anything they like as long as they are prepared to work with me in a mutually beneficial way.

This being the internet and everything I'm sure I'll be called all kinds of nasty names at some point by one group or another.

I think people who want to be addressed in the "correct" manner have confidence issues. Does it really mean that much to you if someone calls you "Your Grace" in a computer game? If so you need to get a life.

1/17/2017 7:19:34 AM #20

This topic kicks off an interesting discussion. Let me try to turn up the heat a bit to get this rolling because we will have to discuss this anyway at some point in the future.

First a disclaimer: I am no big RPer. I was when I was younger but the older I grew and the less time I had the less I cared about RP. I non the less try to respect everybodys RP and I think RPers add a lot of flavor to a mmo world.

Now that we got this out of the way: non the less I think if you walk up to the guy with the crown and his ten fully armed bodyguards and adress him with: "yo dude! Whazup? I need to talk to ya, Dawg!" you shouldn't be surprised if the guards beat you down and leave you in the streets to the care of whoever thinks he or she should take care of you. If you are surprised about that I see no way to help you. And if you are coming to the forum to complain about the incident I assure you I will be among the first people to laugh at you.

After all this is a low fantasy midage game with a hierarchy that gets enforced by the game mechanic. We all knew that before we bought in.

1/17/2017 7:19:34 AM #21

Posted By Cromulent at 01:55 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

Honestly I don't give a damn how people address me. They can call me anything they like as long as they are prepared to work with me in a mutually beneficial way.

This being the internet and everything I'm sure I'll be called all kinds of nasty names at some point by one group or another.

I think people who want to be addressed in the "correct" manner have confidence issues. Does it really mean that much to you if someone calls you "Your Grace" in a computer game? If so you need to get a life.

This being a role playing game, you really shouldn't be surprised if people want to role play. It makes things more interesting.

Referral Code: 912EC9

1/17/2017 7:22:06 AM #22

Posted By Orisoll at 08:19 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

This being a role playing game, you really shouldn't be surprised when people role play.

Indeed. You don't have to respect the player. You don't even have to respect the character he or she is playing. But you should try to respect the role the character represents.

1/17/2017 7:23:57 AM #23

Posted By Orisoll at 07:19 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

This being a role playing game, you really shouldn't be surprised when people role play.

I respect people who role play but it doesn't stop me from thinking it is a little bit silly though.

Here let me try role playing:

"How dare you address a Duke peasant?!"

1/17/2017 7:44:20 AM #24

Posted By Cromulent at 08:23 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

I respect people who role play but it doesn't stop me from thinking it is a little bit silly though.

Hehe a worthy try. Well of course you are right. You bought the game and you are entitled to play the game the way you want. But you aren't entitled to enforce your game play on others. What happens if you cross the path of a character that has a game play that is the direct opposit of yours? What you call silly is maybe important to others.

1/17/2017 7:54:40 AM #25

Posted By Atogrim at 07:44 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

Hehe a worthy try. Well of course you are right. You bought the game and you are entitled to play the game the way you want. But you aren't entitled to enforce your game play on others. What happens if you cross the path of a character that has a game play that is the direct opposit of yours? What you call silly is maybe important to others.

If I meet a role player I'll try and play with them respectfully but I won't do anything I consider silly. I won't grovel in front of a king for instance and I won't expect those underneath me to grovel before me either. As I said I'm quite happy for people to call me anything they want. If they want to call me "Your Grace" then that is all well and good but the difference between role players and non-role players is that I won't force them to address me in any specific manner.

I'll just play the game in a normal, polite and friendly manner. Hopefully that'll please both role players and non-role players alike. Being respectful does not mean you have to do what ever people want you to do.

I'm just looking to make friends while I play :).

1/17/2017 7:58:01 AM #26

Yee Peasant Scum, bow before thine Lord and grovel. :) But in all seriousness, thanks for the post. Beyond that I was always under the impression that "your grace" is usually used for monarchs and your Lord for dukes and nobles but I could be wrong.

Sworn Count of Arkadia. Treasure of the Bank of Arkadia

House words: Arkadia Invictus

1/17/2017 8:46:13 AM #27

Posted By Cromulent at 08:54 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

Posted By Atogrim at 07:44 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

If I meet a role player I'll try and play with them respectfully but I won't do anything I consider silly. I won't grovel in front of a king for instance and I won't expect those underneath me to grovel before me either. As I said I'm quite happy for people to call me anything they want. If they want to call me "Your Grace" then that is all well and good but the difference between role players and non-role players is that I won't force them to address me in any specific manner.

I'll just play the game in a normal, polite and friendly manner. Hopefully that'll please both role players and non-role players alike. Being respectful does not mean you have to do what ever people want you to do.

I'm just looking to make friends while I play :).

Don't get me wrong, i absolutley agree with you approach. I am willing to play along as long as the RPing King can deal with the fact that "your majesty" i pretty much all RP he will get from me on 355 of 365 days a year. But we are both non RPrs to some degree. I really would like to get the input from a RPing person. Because you and i might agree that this is the middle ground, but what about them ;-)?

On a side not: Dukes and Counts didn't grovel ;-) Especially in the western parts of midage europe Dukes declared themselves Grand Dukes if the King sucked too much. By that they became royalty and tried to legitimate their sedition ;-)

1/17/2017 8:53:56 AM #28

Great guide for adressing rl nobility.

But it's my hope that any self-respecting Kingdom will have their preferred style of etiquette drawn up before launch.

Count Lofi of Skaaney, friend code 8766AA

1/17/2017 5:50:30 PM #29

Posted By Lofi at 02:53 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

Great guide for adressing rl nobility.

But it's my hope that any self-respecting Kingdom will have their preferred style of etiquette drawn up before launch.

That's pretty much why I started this. In many kingdoms, there doesn't seem to be a preferred style of etiquette. As someone else in this post suggested. We and or kings/queens themselves should put forward a suggested style of etiquette that we could try to adopt here in CoE.

1/17/2017 6:24:12 PM #30

I just wanted to thank the original poster for putting this together. Such great information to have for role play!

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!