COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Anyone else think of CoE when watching WestWorld?

I have NO idea why, but watching WW makes me think of Chronicles of Elyria. Anyone else have this feeling, and can you help me understand why?

alt text

1/17/2017 7:24:57 AM #1

Westworld is awesome. There's much in common. You have a world seemingly built for us, untamed bit full of possibilities. You have a large population of AIs. You have the undertones of mystery and exploration and a deeper storyline behind it.

You also have the driving force - mans own nature and questions to be answered about that nature.

1/17/2017 7:26:59 AM #2

both are psychological adventures. you play how you want to play. though westworld is a theme park its main attraction is freedom. freedom to be anyone you want. that is the similarity i see. only difference being that the players will be the ones driving narratives.

1/17/2017 7:29:27 AM #3

At least with CoE there isn't any risk of the AIs going on a RL murdering rampage.

Imgur Imgur

1/17/2017 7:35:11 AM #4

Posted By Oracle at 01:24 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

Westworld is awesome. There's much in common. You have a world seemingly built for us, untamed bit full of possibilities. You have a large population of AIs. You have the undertones of mystery and exploration and a deeper storyline behind it.

You also have the driving force - mans own nature and questions to be answered about that nature.

I'm quite interested on the NPC's in CoE now. How lifelike will they be/will they be able to learn/adapt? That would be great.

alt text

1/17/2017 7:38:34 AM #5

Posted By Sharielane at 07:29 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

At least with CoE there isn't any risk of the AIs going on a RL murdering rampage.

We can't be sure of that yet. That depends on our actions lol. If a king pops up and hikes taxes to 50% or more then begins to evict residents and cause mass unrest, the npcs could rise to overthrow him, and all the humans siding with him could be facing the fallout too :)

So you see all the possibilities are there.

1/17/2017 7:43:24 AM #6

Posted By Adman of Alderash at 07:35 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

Posted By Oracle at 01:24 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

I'm quite interested on the NPC's in CoE now. How lifelike will they be/will they be able to learn/adapt? That would be great.

Agreed. AI/NPCs will be a significant part of CoE at the outset and the factor that decides how good the gameplay is before full population, and the appeal of staying if any people leave. Offline players too potentially need that same AI.

It's one of the hardest bits to get right. If players were promoted to fill all the key noble and mayoral roles, you'd only need basic AI for population rather than wider diplomacy I guess, but it's no small task.

Who knows how the game will branch out too. We might see options for small "private" servers later on perhaps anything from 2 counties to a Duchy depending on sub costs.

The sky is the limit with this game.

1/17/2017 8:10:10 AM #7

regarding the AI being to adapt, the devs will be taking the best of our custom scripts and incorporating them into the NPCs. so yes they will be learning adapting and growing as we do.

i look forward to it

1/21/2017 8:47:23 AM #8

Posted By Oracle at 5:38 PM - Tue Jan 17 2017

We can't be sure of that yet. That depends on our actions lol. If a king pops up and hikes taxes to 50% or more then begins to evict residents and cause mass unrest, the npcs could rise to overthrow him, and all the humans siding with him could be facing the fallout too :)

Yes, but they won't be able to step out of the internet and go on a REAL LIFE murdering rampage.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of rampages in-game.

Imgur Imgur

1/21/2017 9:07:20 AM #9

Posted By Sharielane at 08:47 AM - Sat Jan 21 2017

Posted By Oracle at 5:38 PM - Tue Jan 17 2017

Yes, but they won't be able to step out of the internet and go on a REAL LIFE murdering rampage.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of rampages in-game.

Hopefully not :)

I'm conscious there's going to be warfare, but I'm not the type to hold grudges. I wouldn't feel happy about destroying people's hard work unnecessarily. I prefer to think of wars causing as little collateral damage as possible.

I want Elyria to hold strong appeal long into the future, not get turned into Ark and have a handful of trolls all that remains of the player base.

1/21/2017 3:18:03 PM #10

Yeah, i had the same feeling. And, as probably many people here, i'm eager to see how good the AI will be implemented into the game. And how many personal narratives will pop up due to interactions with the AI, how people will be atached to them.