COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
The Unknown League

The maiden, anonymous and beautiful, made her way down the dark corridor. The night had started like any other; the Duke of the land, with his progeny, close council members, closest friends, and his wife, held their monthly overview meeting in which they discussed everything from politics to the economy to religion. This period was always laced with times of laughter and conversation, sometimes deviating to the point that the atmosphere seemed no different than that of the town tavern, with mead abounding in both situations. These meetings were always held in the same room, by the same people, with the same security, the same handmaiden, and ever the same drinks. Though the handmaiden never felt abused or neglected by the lord of the house, she also never felt very noticed. This, over time, had left her vulnerable to the recruiting wiles of a league unknown in the lands except to its members. The duke had done a fine job of ruling, more or less, but it would seem that he could try, every now and again, to garner the respect and friendship of more than just his closest circles. But the night had come, the night she was told would likely happen. She would be called upon to execute her duty, to fill her role, to upset the balance of powers and make way for change. She knew that if she failed in her mission, or was caught, she would be executed or banished, but she felt a call that superseded that of her duke or of her liege, the King.

These thoughts and others rang through her head as she solemnly and quietly paced her way towards her goal. Because she had walked these passages many times before she knew the quickest routes, the most likely guard positioning’s, and the squeaky spots; and she did her best to ensure the success of her task. As she crept around one of the final corners she caught sight of a light. An unexpected guard! She must hurry! Glancing this way and that she decided the only thing she could do would be to hide in plain sight and hope he wasn’t looking to closely. As she receded to the outermost corner of the bend, she did her best to shrink into its recesses, hoping that the god of fate and destiny, and the god of chance and luck (two of the many gods worshipped the aforementioned league) would avert the eyes of her would-be captor and allow her to reach her goal. As the moments passed like days, breath in-breath out, the guard moved on without hesitation, and her resolve strengthened. She now knew without a doubt that she was blessed and directed of the gods! Now she could see her destination, free and clear. As cautiously as ever she moved to the hidden door in the side of the estate and quietly opened it. Although she had not been told who she might meet at that door she was not surprised to see the stable-boy, another often nameless member of staff, waiting on the other side.

As the stable-boy looked her up and down she wondered what would happen next, she had not been told what to do after opening the door and would have guessed that the boy would have further instructions for her. But the boy seemed dumbfounded, gazing upon her beauty like an owl, wide-eyed and speechless. As his stare made another pass over her face, he finally noticed the look of anxiety she had donned at her ignorance of the next move and his seeming absentminded glaring. Luckily this seemed to snap him back to action and he beckoned her to take hold of one of three sacks she hadn’t previously noticed sitting beside him. Then, he entered the passageway, the other two sacks in tow, and whispered one word. “Armory.”

“Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe.” -Alfonso X, King of Castile

2/1/2017 8:57:06 PM #1

Reserved

“Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe.” -Alfonso X, King of Castile

2/1/2017 8:57:16 PM #2

Reserved

2/1/2017 8:57:23 PM #3

Reserved