COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Can NPC's be Talented?

I understand limiting NPC's to above the age threshold of 52 or completely locking out an NPC from players in order to give the NPC the talent, but is there a chance that certain NPCs might be able to use very special sets of Talents to enhance player experience?

If the short answer is no and there never will be, read no further.

If the answer is maybe, I thought up of two very distinct abilities that might be great for an NPC only talent set.

1: Fortune Telling- NPC's with this ability are able to see paths of destiny or latent talents of those they are telling fortunes for.
The NPC is able to read the possible outcomes or plot hooks a PC is currently under the influence or capable of having and relays a very small tidbit of information cryptically to the PC. If a plot hook is murdering a specific NPC, then the "bones read" or "gods whisper" to the NPC and they relay the message "Blood stains your hands" or "wrought iron meets red iron".

2:Soul Sight: The NPC is capable of seeing the degree of lightness and darkness tinging a soul. Honestly when I thought of this, I was thinking of this guy...

http://giphy.com/gifs/reaction-adam-sandler-little-nicky-rB54WleXLXyfu

This may be a plot hook trigger if it leads the NPC to offer you to join their religious organization or simply attacks you because they are the crazy beggar on the street.

2/8/2017 2:48:18 PM #1

We don't really know but I think its safe to assume some key NPC's might have the same effects as talents. I would say at least in terms of magic there are probably some pretty famous NPC magic users in the world, I seriously doubt the only magic users in the game will all be players. The whole point is that we are not special in this world, just people born into it and doing our best to survive and make our way through it.

2/8/2017 6:35:29 PM #2

It's been mentioned before. Remember Anara Starsong? She's a prominent NPC and she has supernatural abilities.

Anara Starsong

Alt text

2/12/2017 9:51:55 PM #3

I really like the idea of a fortune telling NPC that tells you your future and it becomes in a sense self-fulfilling, or maybe by speaking to them you "unlock" a hidden objective.

For example the fortune teller says "I see a mission that takes you to a western land, sand flying around you...and something...dangerous...closer than you think". You might think it sounds really interesting and so you search throughout every land west of the fortune teller but can't find such a mission even when completing every one you come across in those areas. You rescue a kinapped husband and help a merchant with a broken leg get home. You decide to stop trying and go to other ares instead, since the fortune teller seems to just had made it all up in order to get some coins.

A long time after, while helping that same merchant you met with a caravan, you travel through a land far north-east, you look at a map which you bought cheep at the local market, since you never been in this land before and you thought it's better to have a map than having no map. You notice however that the compass-symbol is actually printed the wrong way so it looks like you are actually in a land far nort-west. Suddenly someone scream and you see people pointing towards the horizon, you look to the horizon and see an approaching sandstorm or at least something that looks like a sandstorm. You realise that the fortune-teller was not wrong at all, it was this coming moment which the fortune-teller was talking about all along. While you are getting ready one word passes through your mind as the sand approaches swifter and swifter: "Finally".

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” /Neil Gaiman

"Be good. That way you can inspire others to be good too. If not anything else, you have been good and that is one more person than it would have been without you." (My own)

2/13/2017 1:06:22 AM #4

Honestly the good and evil thing wouldnt be that bad unless it was used in the court system you know, like what if it just devolved into that like "is this man good or evil" "he has darkness in his soul" and that makes it harder to have a fair court system that you can b.s your way through you know

2/13/2017 4:42:11 AM #5

Actually I think a theocracy that used the good evil thing for all their court preceding's would be pretty epic in the sense of shit I would want to destroy.