COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Dynasty formation before launch

As we all know the Dance of dynasties is hopefully going to be quite a lot of fun. Everyone with the Bloodline pledge or higher gets to pick their own custom surnames, and quite a few have already started forming their dynasties' historiy, coat of arms, names etc. Some have even started multiplying!

Now I have a few question relating to this that I haven't found proper answers for.

1) Will dynasties formed at this point be possible to exist in-game after launch? Example: We're a group of about 10 people who wish to be part of the same dynasty and have the same surname and coat of arms in-game. Three of us are counts, three are mayor/barons and the rest are regular players. Will it be possible for us to start off as cousins for example, and all using the same surname and CoA as the head of our house (me)?

2) If there'll be no dynasty formations before launch, will be be able to all simply pick the same surname when choosing our "custom surname" as promised in the pledge description (and then not having any of the family pers)?

3) Are the surnames we get to pick unique? Meaning if someone else happens to choose our preferred surname before us, we have to make up a different name? If yes, will it be game-wide unique or only server-wide?

House Storm

2/7/2017 10:41:36 AM #1

I may be wrong but i believe there will be no unique surnames. As in if my surname is Smith someone else can also choose Smith but be a part of a different Dynasty. just like our world many people share a surname but have no relation.

2/7/2017 11:01:38 AM #2

Posted By SirGalahad at 04:41 AM - Tue Feb 07 2017

I may be wrong but i believe there will be no unique surnames. As in if my surname is Smith someone else can also choose Smith but be a part of a different Dynasty. just like our world many people share a surname but have no relation.

Custom surnames (the ones you get from Bloodline+ tiers) definitely are unique. In fact, they must be. If it's your turn to choose your family name and somebody else has already used the name you wanted, you can't choose it. For those who aren't members of noble houses, though, you're correct. There could be multiple Smith families in the world, or even in the same kingdom or city. The last time I heard Caspian talk about this, that's what he said, anyway.

As for the original question, my information on this isn't as fresh, but I do remember it being said at some point that, in order to be in the same family in-game, you had to actually be related through in-game mechanics. That is, you couldn't simply say "I want to be in this person's family" and have that be true, without either marrying into the family or being a child of existing dynasty members. It's been a while since I've heard any conversation on the matter, but as far as I'm aware that's still the case.

2/7/2017 11:07:18 AM #3

Posted By Imshada at 12:01 PM - Tue Feb 07 2017

As for the original question, my information on this isn't as fresh, but I do remember it being said at some point that, in order to be in the same family in-game, you had to actually be related through in-game mechanics. That is, you couldn't simply say "I want to be in this person's family" and have that be true, without either marrying into the family or being a child of existing dynasty members. It's been a while since I've heard any conversation on the matter, but as far as I'm aware that's still the case.

So for us all to be related we basically have to wait a whole year, I must get lots of kids, and when we all finally perma-die we can be one family? Sounds tiersom...

House Storm

2/7/2017 12:07:39 PM #4

Posted By Thor at 12:07 PM - Tue Feb 07 2017

So for us all to be related we basically have to wait a whole year, I must get lots of kids, and when we all finally perma-die we can be one family? Sounds tiersom...

Not totally exact.

it will indeed be hard for the titled characters to be part of the same family, but not impossible as it is probable that some NPC counts be parents of a duke and some duke of the king at generation, so there is a chance that a title character is related to an other titled character.

For the non titled characters, they will be able to use one of the family code of a titled character.

When choosing your land you'll also choose your family, doing so will lock direct family members, parents, spouse/husband, children, and will reveal the extended family members code. As titled players will choose first they will uncover those code before the untitled one time to choose and as such can give them thoise codes.

But, YES, that mean you'll need to search for a family that has the good number of characters available and some of you might have to use what's available and not what they would have hoped.

2/7/2017 12:31:10 PM #5

Posted By Thor at 05:07 AM - Tue Feb 07 2017

They don't have to be your children, they just have to be children in your family. You'll have other NPC members of your family: parents, cousins, perhaps siblings. Once you "take control" of the family and apply your name to it, you can open the family up to randoms or set it to private and give out the code to your friends who you want to link families with.

The only caveat to this (and it's a big one) is that, if people choose to join your family instead of establishing/taking control of their own, that will preclude them from claiming any titles that aren't owned by the character they're starting as. So, if you're a king, and your friend is starting as your sister or whatever, she'd be a princess, but couldn't turn around and say "I pledged Count so now this character is a countess, too." It's basically either-or. You can tag-team on with somebody else's family, or you can choose the ruling family of the realm you want. You can't do both.

2/7/2017 4:47:42 PM #6

Posted By Imshada at 07:31 AM - Tue Feb 07 2017

They don't have to be your children, they just have to be children in your family. You'll have other NPC members of your family: parents, cousins, perhaps siblings. Once you "take control" of the family and apply your name to it, you can open the family up to randoms or set it to private and give out the code to your friends who you want to link families with.

The only caveat to this (and it's a big one) is that, if people choose to join your family instead of establishing/taking control of their own, that will preclude them from claiming any titles that aren't owned by the character they're starting as. So, if you're a king, and your friend is starting as your sister or whatever, she'd be a princess, but couldn't turn around and say "I pledged Count so now this character is a countess, too." It's basically either-or. You can tag-team on with somebody else's family, or you can choose the ruling family of the realm you want. You can't do both.

Sounds correct to me. You'd need to enter this dynasty via marriage if you're a titled noble that isn't already in the family as an NPC- you're your own dynasty at that point.

NA-W "Angelica"

2/8/2017 6:34:02 PM #7

I'm not entirely up-to-date on everything, but wouldn't it be possible to develop a large family during KoE if you have a title?

Alt text