COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Higher Title vs traveling

In a recent thread somebody mentioned becoming a bard besides being a baron. Be it passion/wanderlust or business

Now my question is, how will the settlement function after the boss (mayor baron king) leaves ? How long can he be away ? How far can he go ? What happens in the settlement meanwhile ?

2/10/2017 8:36:02 AM #1

In the jounals they stated that settlements would take X hours per week to manage. If you abandone it, who does that work? If you're a property owner, someone from your family needs to visit it to avoid it becoming abandoned. Additionally, in your absence, who is going to manage your settlement, let buildings, plan new developments, collect tax, manage resources etc?

If the answer to any of the above is no one, you'd likely risk losing the rank if purely via abandonment.

Nobles and Barons may not be the best choice for adventurers. Partly because of their commitments, and partly because of their fame and impact of death.

For that reason it may be worthwhile having an alt for risky adventures out in the wild ;)

Think about it ;)

2/10/2017 9:22:07 AM #2

You could do like what my order is intending to do. Join a caravan of travelers and allow the stationary branch of administration act as a blind trust.

2/10/2017 9:39:52 AM #3

Posted By Oracle at 04:36 AM - Fri Feb 10 2017

In the jounals they stated that settlements would take X hours per week to manage. If you abandone it, who does that work? If you're a property owner, someone from your family needs to visit it to avoid it becoming abandoned. Additionally, in your absence, who is going to manage your settlement, let buildings, plan new developments, collect tax, manage resources etc?

If the answer to any of the above is no one, you'd likely risk losing the rank if purely via abandonment.

Nobles and Barons may not be the best choice for adventurers. Partly because of their commitments, and partly because of their fame and impact of death.

For that reason it may be worthwhile having an alt for risky adventures out in the wild ;)

Think about it ;)

Having more fame can impact you greatly upon death, but it also impacts story points. Remember this game promotes " higher risk, higher reward" in all that you can do.

2/10/2017 3:48:52 PM #4

Posted By VividEcho at 09:39 AM - Fri Feb 10 2017

Think about it ;)

Having more fame can impact you greatly upon death, but it also impacts story points. Remember this game promotes " higher risk, higher reward" in all that you can do.

I think he was referencing the death multiplier, it will be much more expensive for nobles to die as we lose 8x the game time from it.

But to answer OP you can always delegate responsibilities and nominate someone to act as a protector of your demesne while you're away. Just make sure it's someone you trust. :)

2/10/2017 4:01:12 PM #5

How long can he be away?

Every player that owns land / a house etc. has to visit all his stuff at least once every 28 RL days, or someone else can claim it. Also there is upkeep to pay, you want miss that either.

2/10/2017 4:04:09 PM #6

Posted By Zunjin at 4:01 PM - Fri Feb 10 2017

How long can he be away?

Every player that owns land / a house etc. has to visit all his stuff at least once every 28 RL days, or someone else can claim it. Also there is upkeep to pay, you want miss that either.

Family can also visit it too IIRC, so have your close mates/family as family in game and if one of you needs to take a break for whatever reason you should be fine. :)

2/10/2017 6:15:18 PM #7

Something to add regarding story points.

Most likely nobles will have to venture out to some degree. In the DJ where these were brought up they state ...

• [...] you just sit in your keep all day, drinking wine and eating mutton. When you're assassinated, you'd want to use your Story Points to take over your heir... but you can't. You lack sufficient Story Points to do so, and best you can do is take a demotion.*

Now does that mean the count didn't rule his lands while he's in his keep or does it imply playing it safe staying in protected grounds doesn't earn SP?

No idea but to me it seems like SBS wants nobility and up to have to go out and do stuff to earn points not just sit in the keep issuing orders (even if that is all that's needed on the low end to satisfy the "ruling" time required) or crafting but to actually go out where it's not safe and do "stuff" to earn SP.

So being a bard or warrior may very well be required to keep your title.

2/10/2017 6:31:09 PM #8

you can hire people to do part of the maintenance of your title IE traveling to properties, managing the LMT, and probably other functions the devs just haven't mentioned yet but then if you aren't physically there nothing prevents your employees to build up themselves to be able to coup you while your away and can't even defend your title

2/10/2017 7:40:08 PM #9

I really hope as a Baron I won't have to be stuck in my keep all day long...I know I plan on at least venturing out.

A Bard sounds like fun too, people wouldn't even realize who you were if you were in disguise. A great way to see how the people feel about you. :)

2/23/2017 10:57:48 AM #10

Posted By Barghest at 11:48 AM - Fri Feb 10 2017

Posted By VividEcho at 09:39 AM - Fri Feb 10 2017

Think about it ;)

I think he was referencing the death multiplier, it will be much more expensive for nobles to die as we lose 8x the game time from it.

But to answer OP you can always delegate responsibilities and nominate someone to act as a protector of your demesne while you're away. Just make sure it's someone you trust. :) I know, I was talking about death multiplier too. If your fame rank is high, death multiplier goes up but your story point gain multiplies as well.

2/23/2017 11:42:36 AM #11

as a mayor i will have a hunting party, a few of my trusted clan members will go game hunting to provide food and furs for the town, this will be more than enough adventure for me. i may also need to make trips to the city to attend meetings or festivities. but hunting and exploring is best not done alone as a mayor/baron. you will want people there who will take a blade for you. (also why i chose to use bows, less chance of injury from long distances). cheers.

2/23/2017 1:56:36 PM #12

Posted By Malais at 7:15 PM - Fri Feb 10 2017

Most likely nobles will have to venture out to some degree. In the DJ where these were brought up they state ...

• [...] you just sit in your keep all day, drinking wine and eating mutton. When you're assassinated, you'd want to use your Story Points to take over your heir... but you can't. You lack sufficient Story Points to do so, and best you can do is take a demotion.*

Now does that mean the count didn't rule his lands while he's in his keep or does it imply playing it safe staying in protected grounds doesn't earn SP?

I think it implies what it says, he literally doesn't do anything, he doesn't collect taxes, doesn't go out and talk to people, just sits in his keep doing absolutely nothing. If you do your job (as an aristocrat/noble) you should earn enough story points to continue, if you don't do your job (like the person in the example, where he just makes other people do his job) you won't earn enough story points.

No idea but to me it seems like SBS wants nobility and up to have to go out and do stuff to earn points not just sit in the keep issuing orders (even if that is all that's needed on the low end to satisfy the "ruling" time required) or crafting but to actually go out where it's not safe and do "stuff" to earn SP.

This would seem like the stupidest idea if that was true. Here's my reasoning:

• People who pick nobility/aristocratic titles want to play that distinct kind of gameplay (The Dance of Dynasties etc.) Forcing those people, who chose the nobility titles because they liked the gameplay it had to offer, and make them play a hugely distinctly other way just to continue play the playstyle they want to is a no-brainer for me.

If you're a noble, you like the things nobility does, you go around and you manage your settlement/county/duchy/kingdom well, you should 100% be able to continue over into your child, not needing to go on adventures or pick up arms etc. Because that's not the playstyle they signed up for.

2/23/2017 3:35:06 PM #13

Posted By Buffbc at 2:40 PM - Fri Feb 10 2017

I really hope as a Baron I won't have to be stuck in my keep all day long...I know I plan on at least venturing out.

A Bard sounds like fun too, people wouldn't even realize who you were if you were in disguise. A great way to see how the people feel about you. :)

The lower nobility you are the less time you need to spend ruling. Barons would most likely have very little maintenance to do weekly. Like an hour or less per week.

2/23/2017 3:43:37 PM #14

Can I be a noble adventurer? Or for example: Can I be more noble than a Duke yet still just work as a farmer

2/23/2017 3:47:16 PM #15

Posted By Liva at 9:56 PM - Thu Feb 23 2017

Posted By Malais at 7:15 PM - Fri Feb 10 2017

I think it implies what it says, he literally doesn't do anything, he doesn't collect taxes, doesn't go out and talk to people, just sits in his keep doing absolutely nothing. If you do your job (as an aristocrat/noble) you should earn enough story points to continue, if you don't do your job (like the person in the example, where he just makes other people do his job) you won't earn enough story points.

This would seem like the stupidest idea if that was true. Here's my reasoning:

• People who pick nobility/aristocratic titles want to play that distinct kind of gameplay (The Dance of Dynasties etc.) Forcing those people, who chose the nobility titles because they liked the gameplay it had to offer, and make them play a hugely distinctly other way just to continue play the playstyle they want to is a no-brainer for me.

If you're a noble, you like the things nobility does, you go around and you manage your settlement/county/duchy/kingdom well, you should 100% be able to continue over into your child, not needing to go on adventures or pick up arms etc. Because that's not the playstyle they signed up for.

I agree with this, though I imagine being something like an ambassador would make some sense. (though definitely has some risk)