COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
For Honor Combat

I've just spent the weekend playing the For Honor Open Beta, and I have to say, the duelling system in it is really good. It's a modified dark souls combat engine (apparently) so if CoE can make combat half as fun as it is in For Honor then I'll be a happy camper!

2/12/2017 6:15:35 PM #1

Please no arcadey lock-on combat like that game please .

2/13/2017 12:07:25 AM #2

Posted By Grapefruitkush at 1:15 PM - Sun Feb 12 2017

Please no arcadey lock-on combat like that game please .

They've already stated there wont be aby tab target/lock-on capabilities, pure skill based action combat without a dedicated/pre-built skill system (you have to learn to swing/slash, then you can add moves on top the better you get).

2/13/2017 12:36:40 PM #3

I would prefer a combat system with more depth.

For the most part, for all the moves and tools available in For Honor, it was quite simple to learn and master. The height of skill is learning how to parry and feint (and then using feints to bait out parries), and that is something people were able to accomplish in the short time the beta was open. After that, it is an advanced game of Rock Paper Scissors.

I much prefer games such as Chivalry, Dark Souls, and Mount & Blade which accomplish far more depth with far fewer moves. For example, on its surface, Dark Souls 3 has a very similar amount of moves to For Honor (Guard, Kick, Light Attack, Heavy Attack, Weapon Art, Roll, Parry, Backstep/Backstab) with certain weapons having different combos and various magic spells you can cast. On the surface, you would think it has similar depth to For Honor, yet its combat is much harder to master as it is in the application of such moves that it shines. Learning to master combat in Dark Souls can take hundreds and hundreds of hours. This can be due to the fact that alot of the moves and combos in Dark Souls have many different applications, some of which are incredibly difficult to pull off (such as the Backstep + Backstab combo), while every move in For Honor has a rather obvious purpose and is easy to pull off.

For example, learning to parry in For Honor takes about a day and when done you can basically parry every single hit. Learning to parry in Dark Souls takes tons and tons of practice, and even then you need to read your opponents perfectly to parry them.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

2/13/2017 4:05:19 PM #4

I 100% agree with Apaukolypse. Mount & Blade and Chivalry have HANDS DOWN the best combat ever created. It has depth, it requires skill, it requires practice.

I honestly will be very disappointed if CoE includes lame, arcade-y combat. It would make no sense to me when prior games provide such a perfect model for what works.

Warband to me is the penultimate. It has layers of depth and is one of the few games where the sword combat is both brutal and believable. Port the mechanics and you'll have made a brilliant decision.

2/13/2017 5:52:38 PM #5

I actively despise For Honor and it's campy overdramatic fighting. Useless twirling, unrealistic combos, and just generally broken weaponry being nothing at all like their real world counterparts. M&B would be good base for the combat. It's simplistic yet complex enough to actually see a skill difference better than repetitive combos or mashing hotbar rotations.

2/13/2017 5:54:37 PM #6

I was kind of hoping they would go for a 4-directional block/attack system like M&B/Chivalry, but its not gonna happen. Looks like they are going for a more Dark Souls-esque system based more on movement and positioning, which is fine, but I don't think it works as well in a higher latency, larger scale setting.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

2/13/2017 8:05:52 PM #7

Posted By Hrethgar at 11:05 AM - Mon Feb 13 2017

It has layers of depth and is one of the few games where the sword combat is both brutal and believable.

I'd have to disagree... Movement and attacks are separate from one another with the split animations looking laughable.

Posted By Yorick at 12:52 PM - Mon Feb 13 2017

I actively despise For Honor and it's campy overdramatic fighting.

It has to be. If it was too realistic you wouldn't be able to make a fair game for everyone else. Could you hit all the buttons for this combo on the Mount and Blade system?

And can you perform take downs in Mount and Blade?

These look more closely to For Honor theatrical combat than it does the floaty split animation of Mount and Blade.

2/14/2017 4:12:00 PM #8

Mount and blade duels. - You can pull off twirls and spins jumps etc, if you are, very, very good.

Mount and B Duels

Though Movie Battle 2 Duels was a great dueling experience.

Movie Battles 2 Duels

But M and B was very good :D, I must admit however I mostly stuck to a shield or a bow heh.

Friend Code: 699036

2/14/2017 5:02:02 PM #9

The combat from those videos looks so like clunky and static >.<.

I don't know anymore.

2/15/2017 12:54:47 AM #10

I'd just like to say that for honer is essentially a 3D fighting game and because of this it has the most enjoyable sword combat i've played

edit:i think i need to reword that. it has the most fun sword combat

howdy... I'm Arrowit

2/15/2017 1:42:49 AM #11

Have you guys played chivalry, the combat is terrible, it is all about drag and spinning around and essentially beating the system.

And mount and blade is very very basic in terms of 4 different areas to swing and defend.

Personally I think that for honor's combat is fun but wouldn't work in such a large scale.

You also have to remember that it won't just be fights against humanoids we will have to face and out of all of the systems mentioned, a dark souls-esque one with maybe slightly more viable archery seems best.

Rant over

2/15/2017 7:55:25 AM #12

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 5:02 PM - Tue Feb 14 2017

The combat from those videos looks so like clunky and static >.<.

Combat is clunky and static :D ever been in a sparring match? Martial arts fight? In a sword fight its about deflection of force, timing.

Most combat is block counter, or just attack, and then you get experience adding an extra step but that's about it. All the twirling etc is useless in a real fight.

I guess it comes down to realism and player control, or showmanship and automation. Neither of which is wrong, you can try to add player control and showmanship together but that means animation breaks mid way and such like.

2/15/2017 8:05:49 AM #13

Here are several real life mock medieval brawls with weapons vs plate armor, where teams beat the heck into each other, because axes don't usually cut plate :p

Medieval Brawl

Real life viking demonstration, shows you why you can't turn around.

Viking Demonstration

Skallgrim, the go to guy for laymens descriptions into swordfighting (and many other weapons)

Skallgrim

2/15/2017 8:09:15 AM #14

Posted By Jouten at 1:05 PM - Mon Feb 13 2017

Posted By Hrethgar at 11:05 AM - Mon Feb 13 2017

It has layers of depth and is one of the few games where the sword combat is both brutal and believable.

I'd have to disagree... Movement and attacks are separate from one another with the split animations looking laughable.

Posted By Yorick at 12:52 PM - Mon Feb 13 2017

I actively despise For Honor and it's campy overdramatic fighting.

It has to be. If it was too realistic you wouldn't be able to make a fair game for everyone else. Could you hit all the buttons for this combo on the Mount and Blade system?

And can you perform take downs in Mount and Blade?

These look more closely to For Honor theatrical combat than it does the floaty split animation of Mount and Blade.

No game can give you 100% full control over how you direct your swings, blocks, and thrusts. M&B at least accepts this limitation and breaks it down into a manageable 4 directions, covering both swings and thrusts. For Honor just lets you mash a dumbed down version of that which it tries to cover up behind some flashier animations and hopes you fall for it and it's poor attempt at being a medieval 3d street fighter. I'd rather have the ugly functionality of M&B than I would the unnecessary eye candy that is For Honor.

For Honor only feels rewarding because they made the weapon attacks feel ridiculously weighty and make the lesser npcs incredibly weak so you feel good about yourself when you kill them.

2/15/2017 8:18:10 AM #15

None of those gifs are good demonstrations of sword fights. They are good at their sport, but its not a fight. That's the difference.

The bottom one they are both dead after the first move. This is a novice sword fighter. Attack first. Rather than defend. Its a sport, they are good at it, but in a real fight they'd both be dead. - This is not desirable :D In a real fight you'd have a lot more caution.

In the top one, they are probably both dead too. Though the left guy might have killed the right one first, he's certainly bleeding badly from those slashes. Going to say that final one wouldn't have landed on his head, if it did, he's dead too.

Here's skallgrim again talking about for honor, better than I could, debunking sterotypes.

Skallgrim take 2