COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Inactive towns

So far has their been any information on how inactive characters would be managed?

I assume children can't die so how could a settlement ever die, would the structures be destroyed and then there would be children just wandering the wilderness? If 50 people live in a town and become inactive, will it be destined to become a ghost town with property unable to be purchased or maintained? If I was a king and I had 10 magical relics and I became inactive would it become impossible for a new king to exist and all story elements tied to the character would be lost?

2/15/2017 5:30:34 AM #1

If you go inactive, you go into opc mode. As an opc you can still die off, pushing the story onwards without you. Only negative side is now you won't be around to play as an heir so the bloodline dies off.

2/15/2017 5:31:16 AM #2

If the NPCs cannot make a living in the town their AI would likely have them seek a living elsewhere, sort of the reverse of how a successful town will attract NPCs.

What PCs do in or with a failing town is another story.

Three aberrations that have plagued gamers from the beginning: The Lag Monster, the Mistell Maven and the Typo-Daemon. Their actions have to led to laughter, anger and tears since the beginning of the Internet.

2/15/2017 6:57:57 AM #3

Well, if a all town goes inactive, it will turn into an NPC town, at least after 2 or 3 weeks when the children become NPCs.

Now if you have a town full of PCs without any children or NPC , then after some time the OPC characters will die, the buildings will crumble and the land will go abandoned.

For the king it is the same, if you go inactive, you'll turn OPC, depending on your script and organisation you'll get overthrown fast or you will stay in power till you die, a vacuum of power will then happen because there will be no heir and a new king will rise from the chaos.

2/15/2017 7:11:44 AM #4

That is amazing.

2/15/2017 10:11:34 AM #5

By the way: Characters always stay in the game world.

So if you as a player log off, your character will still be in the game as a Offline Player Character (OPC).

It will be possible to setup scripts (similar to scripts for NPCs) so that your OPC can do things and react on things while you're offline (for example (concepts here): He can react on greetings, he can react on danger (attack or run away...), he can sell things in your store).

Duke of Dugh Kahldur

2/15/2017 10:34:01 AM #6

I foresee offline scripts that involve standing in a guarded or fortified space, i.e the castle, while working if possible being the most popular.

I can imagine a clever ruler renting out space in the castle for offline players who can afford it. If you can gain a blacksmithing room inside a guarded castle and have your guy smelt ores for example while offline, you've a great advantage.

Though of course if players can set NPC guard scripts for their offline versions you might have a relatively safe inner city for people to reside in while offline, so a secure tavern room or fortified villa might be preferable. Perhaps a clever bank might offer a live in vault for the night! - This is making me question my initial thought of residing in a border settlement, at least while asleep.

Finally imho killing an offline player could be set to suffer more spirit loss than online. Or at least carry a higher player set bounty, I hope for sterner penalties from Kingdom law in the Kingdom I reside in. Because I don't know about you, but dying in pvp i'm used to, its fairer in many respects, dying offline is akin to someone murdering me in my sleep.

Friend Code: 699036

2/15/2017 12:14:53 PM #7

[...] there would be children just wandering the wilderness?

Children age and have desires like other NPCs/Animals. They will wander until they die or find a place to stay.

If 50 people live in a town and become inactive, will it be destined to become a ghost town with property unable to be purchased or maintained?

You can overtake land through Adverse Possession. If the owner did not visit the land for more than 4 weeks, you can go to your Counts Land Management Table, select the abandoned land and click "Adverse Possession". If the owner does not visit the land within the next 4 weeks (note: 2 months in total), the land becomes yours.

If I [...] became inactive would [..] (items) tied to the character [..] be lost?

You dont have an inventory like in normal games. You store your items in bags and other container. You can even "store" it by dropping it on the floor (the item will never despawn). Furthermore, anything can be stolen from you. There is no 100% way to keep your items safe, at most 99%.

If I was a king and [...] became inactive would it become impossible for a new king to exist [...] ?

Your character does never leave the world, except after permadeath. If you log out, your character becomes an OPC (Offline Player Character). This OPC is using the same AI as NPCs to keep playing. The AI is nothing more than Scripts, which you can code and share (SBS will provide some scripts, too).

2/15/2017 3:21:02 PM #8

Posted By Karrade at 04:34 AM - Wed Feb 15 2017

I foresee offline scripts that involve standing in a guarded or fortified space, i.e the castle, while working if possible being the most popular.

I can imagine a clever ruler renting out space in the castle for offline players who can afford it. If you can gain a blacksmithing room inside a guarded castle and have your guy smelt ores for example while offline, you've a great advantage.

Though of course if players can set NPC guard scripts for their offline versions you might have a relatively safe inner city for people to reside in while offline, so a secure tavern room or fortified villa might be preferable. Perhaps a clever bank might offer a live in vault for the night! - This is making me question my initial thought of residing in a border settlement, at least while asleep.

Finally imho killing an offline player could be set to suffer more spirit loss than online. Or at least carry a higher player set bounty, I hope for sterner penalties from Kingdom law in the Kingdom I reside in. Because I don't know about you, but dying in pvp i'm used to, its fairer in many respects, dying offline is akin to someone murdering me in my sleep.

Shouldn't make any difference if your offline or not for the penalty. The person should not really know if its you or a OPC. That would be like saying if someone killed me while I went to the restroom they should be banned.

2/15/2017 4:55:56 PM #9

Posted By randys22 at 3:21 PM - Wed Feb 15 2017

Posted By Karrade at 04:34 AM - Wed Feb 15 2017

Shouldn't make any difference if your offline or not for the penalty. The person should not really know if its you or a OPC. That would be like saying if someone killed me while I went to the restroom they should be banned.

Not banned, fined :D I see your point about not being able to distinguish them at a glance. Good point. Once you are fighting, I find it hard to believe i'll really not know the difference between an AI script and a player, unless the scripts really are that good.

It'll pay to have a decent script if you are walking about too, that has a decent amount of actions a player would take. Stopping, pausing, not always walking orderly in one direction. - Going to be a real world skill for thieves to spot AI controlled characters too.

Friend Code: 699036

2/16/2017 3:40:08 PM #10

Oh ok this makes sense, I heard the term OPC but didnt understand what it meant.

Well Im from Aus, I may actually have more chance when there is a script looking after me lol