COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
independent societies

Im not sure if its covered anywhere but is it possible to have a settlement/town/barony etc and not be part of a kindgom?

2/17/2017 10:07:51 AM #1

Not at launch. There is research in this game and that includes researching government types so perhaps in the future such things will be possible. Even then a lone town is going to be at a serious disadvantage as they do not have the support. So even as things develop I think it will be far more likely to see your town become part of a republic, oligarchy or theocracy rather than purely independent. Just like in our own world towns going it alone are rather unheard of, they are part of a larger country with its own ruling ideals.

Also as a Barony is made and paid for by a Duke there is no way to have one outside a kingdom even with research though there might be alternatives.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

2/17/2017 10:46:39 AM #2

To start with I am unclear on how guilds, associations, and schools will be affiliated, if they will be linked to individual cities or allowed across the world. It might be an option to group up for a common cause, if that's what you are seeking. Maintaining independence in that way.

Strawhat 3 post down, in this thread below, summed them up as well as we know them. Info

For land independence specifically. There have been several city states in the real world with varying degrees of independence. Maybe it'll be a tech you can research for to offer degrees of independence as time goes on. (setting laws, taxes etc). Or maybe kings will be able to set this type of thing from the get go. Though if you do have a huge population and a very successful city, your king would be wise to make you a duke and take your council.

City State

*Though as pointed out well in this forum thread on the subject, which i've only just spotted, they involve the surrounding land, not just one city. City State Forum Thread

Friend Code: 699036

2/17/2017 1:36:16 PM #3

I've queried this in the past. Not currently sure if it'll be possible or not. There are multiple hurdles to overcome here. Firstly, security. You'd need a diplomatic peace keeper role with all neighboring kingdoms. You'd need sufficient troops, potentially sourced by each neighbor to enforce that security.

To gain independance or operate in that manner, you'd need the backing if the local ruler you start under too.

All in all a very tricky position, but as long as the mechanics are there, there's always long term potential for some very interesting places.

Elyria is shaping up to be a land of great potential and opportunity. As long as that remains, the world will be an interesting and varied place.

2/17/2017 2:52:46 PM #4

Well i don't think its necessarily too dangerous, even if arent part of a kingdom can still be allied to it.
Most countries dont expect to fight all their neighbors themselves, they ally with 1 or multiple other nations to deter any conflicts. If this kind of thing existed would be ample opportunity to exchange resources for security. It will happen anyway but the stance of an ally rather than a vassal would be a little different in the way you negotiate Eg. You wouldn't enforce taxes.

Id also be interested to see if there would be things like mercenary havens. I assume the devs don't even know yet. Though they have said anyone can build buildings/settlements anywhere if they have the resources. Which makes me wonder alot about how it works.

2/18/2017 5:07:02 AM #5

At launch, all known territory will belong to a kingdom.

You can find this and much more info from their recently-held Q&A on settlements on their YouTube channel.