COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
For my beliefs

Is there anyway we can encourage players to play motivated by their beliefs? I know its what the devs want but if its possible would be nice to think of things we can do ourselves to at least add some complexity. I think the game feels so much stronger if people are playing to accomplish a purpose other than "be the best". It would be fun to build up some big red herring, maybe something hilarious or maybe something dramatic.

I don't know what we would do but hey we've got time

2/17/2017 4:43:57 PM #1

Not sure what you mean by "beliefs" or "accomplishing a purpose" here.

If you're talking about in-game religions, you won't be alone in playing a follower of the various theologies. Largely that will just be through roleplay, but its been hinted there might be a few in-game mechanics as well.

2/17/2017 5:17:15 PM #2

Posted By Vucar at 10:43 AM - Fri Feb 17 2017

Not sure what you mean by "beliefs" or "accomplishing a purpose" here.

If you're talking about in-game religions, you won't be alone in playing a follower of the various theologies. Largely that will just be through roleplay, but its been hinted there might be a few in-game mechanics as well.

We know the "religious statues" available will grant bonuses to the settlement but what those bonuses are sbs has been very cagey on.

2/17/2017 5:28:09 PM #3

?

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

2/17/2017 6:33:34 PM #4

It sounds to me like he was asking about players following a storyline or Role Play more than the grind to be the best and obtain the best equipment. Personally I 'feel' CoE will be different than your normal mmo out there. Where there will be full PvP all the time, PvP will not be a normal thing in life. Sure while moving from town to town can be quite dangerous and will be something to consider, the normal player may be able to walk from town to town without being killed. And without PvP in the cities (due to guards and the laws) crafters won't have to worry about it either which will leave plenty of time to make your own story and mark in the world.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

2/17/2017 7:35:07 PM #5

Posted By Sullen at 1:33 PM - Fri Feb 17 2017

It sounds to me like he was asking about players following a storyline or Role Play more than the grind to be the best and obtain the best equipment. Personally I 'feel' CoE will be different than your normal mmo out there. Where there will be full PvP all the time, PvP will not be a normal thing in life. Sure while moving from town to town can be quite dangerous and will be something to consider, the normal player may be able to walk from town to town without being killed. And without PvP in the cities (due to guards and the laws) crafters won't have to worry about it either which will leave plenty of time to make your own story and mark in the world.

Cities usually have a higher crime rate than suburbs though. They have more guards but they also have more robbing value. And if it's anything like real life you will only have a ~10% chance to get caught for robbery using the FBI and local records. Like the police department for my states cities are like double and triple our suburbs but we still have more crime and less arrest to crime ratio or clearance ration as it's sometimes called.

Last time I checked the percentage for 2013 for clearance was only 6% for robbery including armed. So 1/20 robberies went unsolved for that year and probably won't be.

But back to my point, since cities will have higher value targets, if they use the irl ~10% for robbery then you could make way more money per arrest being a master thief in a city.

Tbh a crafter's safest bet is probably non-corrupt small towns where everyone knows everyone. Makes it much harder to commit a crime when a new comer comes to town and everyone knows he is new and suddenly someone's goats have gone missing after weeks of no crime.

As for the OP, I hope there is enough religious content and gameplay for making a cult or church be worth more than rp. Maybe visions and communing with an entity during sleep / meditation. Idk.

I don't know anymore.

2/17/2017 7:59:43 PM #6

Religion is going to play a big part of the story from the snippets we've seen, so I think you absolutely will be able to. At least when it comes to influencing the proper in-game religions, if you make a custom cult then I think that'll be more for roleplay than anything else.

2/17/2017 8:32:22 PM #7

Well if you read up on the soul borne engine. You'll see I think it does exactly what your asking about.

While you don't decide what tasks it gives you to complete.

it gives you tasks based on your affinity (good\evil), and talents, and the choices you have done so far. For instance did you choose to join XYZ kingdom when they were winning the war, or did you stick thru the bloody end? (not confirmed this is exactly what they mean by your decision, this last bit is my interpretation of the wiki)

WIKI states in regards to the soulboune engine: ": In Chronicles of Elyria the story evolves depending on the actions taken by the players. The engine will also control the distribution of Talents to those who may become integral to the story. The Soulborn Engine will also present players with choices and scenarios based upon their affinity and decisions."

you can choose to do these tasks or not.

Either way has consequences to the over all story of the world as well as to potentially yourself.

the point being you will have dynamic tasks assigned to you beyond become the best at XYZ or other personal goals you have set for yourself.

2/17/2017 9:09:55 PM #8

Flamezz is absolutely correct in saying that cities tend to have more crime than rural areas (aside from violence against the person and sexual offences where the difference (while there) is not high enough for commentary). This is probably going to be the same in CoE for a myriad of reasons.

Taking burglary (the offense that has the greatest difference) the reason for the disparity should be obvious - there are more houses in towns in a denser pattern - making it easier for offenders to commit offences. The same will be true in CoE there will be more houses per acre in a town or city than in a village - this gives potential burglars a wide choice of targets and allows them to steal for longer without running out of potential targets. Urban citizens tend to be richer than rural citizens since cities are generally a concentration of wealth, this means that there are more high-value items for our would-be thieves to steal.

As a corollary to this one of the major bonuses for the criminal in urban areas is the anonymity that a population of thousands provides, however, the largest cities in Elyria only have about 300 people in them, while this does allow for some anonymity, there is much less ability to 'blend with the crowd' than there would be in a real town. This lack of population numbers also makes CoE populations likely to be more policed. The Met has roughly one copper for every 300 people, this is considered around average (my force is much, much smaller). If the large town of 300 has two watchmen well it's more policed than London, if the town has ten watchmen it's hugely over policed. This over-policing will probably end up having a positive impact on the crime rate.

Coming Soon(tm)

2/18/2017 1:35:27 PM #9

Well i guess an example of what I mean is in the other copy of this thread (phone double posted).

I hope Soulbound can make weird family dynamic stories perhaps like the way greek myths and tragedies tend to go

2/22/2017 9:35:51 AM #10

Posted By chipla at 10:09 PM - Fri Feb 17 2017

As a corollary to this one of the major bonuses for the criminal in urban areas is the anonymity that a population of thousands provides, however, the largest cities in Elyria only have about 300 people in them, while this does allow for some anonymity, there is much less ability to 'blend with the crowd' than there would be in a real town. This lack of population numbers also makes CoE populations likely to be more policed. The Met has roughly one copper for every 300 people, this is considered around average (my force is much, much smaller). If the large town of 300 has two watchmen well it's more policed than London, if the town has ten watchmen it's hugely over policed. This over-policing will probably end up having a positive impact on the crime rate.

However, these guards will not have any professional training, nor will they be very dedicated to their jobs. What if these players just decide to pursue another hobby for a few days? NPC guards wouldn't have these issues, but I doubt how capable the AI would be in this regard.

Alt text