COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Birth and Unique destiny..

Hi.

So i have a question for anyone that knows. It is said that when a character is born into Elyria world a set of unique quests are generated for him. And my question is: are those quests only for a time of that character life or are they bound to a soul? I mean when you die is destiny generated anew or it just continue?

2/19/2017 11:08:07 PM #1

Both. You have a set of stories that are created for you each lifetime, and each soul has a larger role to play in the overall story as well.

2/19/2017 11:13:41 PM #2

Posted By Caspian at 6:08 PM - Sun Feb 19 2017

Both. You have a set of stories that are created for you each lifetime, and each soul has a larger role to play in the overall story as well.

Will your playstyle be viable no matter what "destiny paths" you're currently on or taking. Like if someone is joining CoE to play a tavern owner, will he be able to or is there certain paths that push you off of certain jobs/trades. Like his destiny/astrology given traits make him for some reason unable to run a viable tavern.

I don't know anymore.

2/19/2017 11:57:53 PM #3

I'm extremely curious to know how this will come into play Ina meaningful way. Is this part of what will get evaluated in ElyriaMud?

2/20/2017 6:28:31 AM #4

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 3:57 PM - Sun Feb 19 2017

I'm extremely curious to know how this will come into play Ina meaningful way. Is this part of what will get evaluated in ElyriaMud?

i think that they will be testing most features out in the mud like the ideas behind talents and yes the quests, Tune into the QnA this Thursday at 6 pm Est They will be discussing the MUD

2/20/2017 9:21:03 AM #5

Posted By Caspian at 09:08 AM - Mon Feb 20 2017

Caspian, I have a further question on this topic: Will souls be able to change their story significance (their overarching destiny) if they're actively taking part in the story (or refusing to)? Will a soul's destiny change depending on the actions/outcome of each life, or will it be a semi-static entity to be taken or ignored as the player's actions dictate?

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

2/20/2017 3:41:44 PM #6

Thx for answers guys. Specially thx to Caspian since this was the first time in my gaming life that actual dev answered my question.

2/20/2017 4:32:04 PM #7

Will your playstyle be viable no matter what "destiny paths" you're currently on or taking. Like if someone is joining CoE to play a tavern owner, will he be able to or is there certain paths that push you off of certain jobs/trades.

A little of both. Sometimes opportunities will present themselves that you can participate in that won't significantly alter your play experience. Sometimes you're Bilbo Baggins and a wizard comes knocking at your door. It's your choice whether you follow your destiny, but a choice to move forward may change your character's story dramatically.

Like his destiny/astrology given traits make him for some reason unable to run a viable tavern.

Your destiny never dictates what professions you're capable of doing. Though it may impact how much free time you have to do it.

The destiny system is one that will be tested and iterated on throughout the lifetime of ElyriaMUD. It'll be inconsequential at first, but as we refine it you'll see more and more interesting stuff happening while you play.

Caspian, I have a further question on this topic: Will souls be able to change their story significance (their overarching destiny) if they're actively taking part in the story (or refusing to)?

Destiny isn't something that can be changed. But it is something that can be ignored.

Will a soul's destiny change depending on the actions/outcome of each life, or will it be a semi-static entity to be taken or ignored as the player's actions dictate?

Their story will change based on the choices they made, but a soul/character's destiny is fixed over their lifetime.

It's important to note that a "destiny" isn't so much a pre-determined path you'll follow. It's a hook in which we hang a plot on. The Soulborn Engine will be actively looking for characters/souls to participate in certain stories. Your destiny is like a unique signature that the engine can match against its needs.

Think of it kinda like being a type-cast actor. Every time you go for an interview, they want you to play one of a couple roles.

The Soulborn Engine is much the same. Your soul's unique destiny is fairly broad, but will see you pulled into the larger story in specific ways. This will follow you throughout the full 10 year story.

The individual story arcs that come with each lifetime are more tailored and specific, but have the same impact. Over the course of that lifetime, you'll find you're pulled into the story or cast into specific roles depending on your destiny.

When that happens you can choose whether or not to star in the role, and if so, how you want to play it out.

-Caspian

2/20/2017 4:39:41 PM #8

sounds great!

I don't know anymore.

2/21/2017 5:16:09 AM #9

Got it, thanks for the answer. I'd been thinking about story play under the assumption that following one's destiny would be required to contribute to the story, but on reflection, it doesn't make a lot of sense that way.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

2/21/2017 4:59:19 PM #10

Posted By Caspian at 4:32 PM - Mon Feb 20 2017

Will your playstyle be viable no matter what 'destiny paths' you're currently on or taking. Like if someone is joining CoE to play a tavern owner, will he be able to or is there certain paths that push you off of certain jobs/trades.

A little of both. Sometimes opportunities will present themselves that you can participate in that won't significantly alter your play experience. Sometimes you're Bilbo Baggins and a wizard comes knocking at your door. It's your choice whether you follow your destiny, but a choice to move forward may change your character's story dramatically.

Like his destiny/astrology given traits make him for some reason unable to run a viable tavern.

Your destiny never dictates what professions you're capable of doing. Though it may impact how much free time you have to do it.

The destiny system is one that will be tested and iterated on throughout the lifetime of ElyriaMUD. It'll be inconsequential at first, but as we refine it you'll see more and more interesting stuff happening while you play.

Caspian, I have a further question on this topic: Will souls be able to change their story significance (their overarching destiny) if they're actively taking part in the story (or refusing to)?

Destiny isn't something that can be changed. But it is something that can be ignored.

Will a soul's destiny change depending on the actions/outcome of each life, or will it be a semi-static entity to be taken or ignored as the player's actions dictate?

Their story will change based on the choices they made, but a soul/character's destiny is fixed over their lifetime.

It's important to note that a 'destiny' isn't so much a pre-determined path you'll follow. It's a hook in which we hang a plot on. The Soulborn Engine will be actively looking for characters/souls to participate in certain stories. Your destiny is like a unique signature that the engine can match against its needs.

Think of it kinda like being a type-cast actor. Every time you go for an interview, they want you to play one of a couple roles.

The Soulborn Engine is much the same. Your soul's unique destiny is fairly broad, but will see you pulled into the larger story in specific ways. This will follow you throughout the full 10 year story.

The individual story arcs that come with each lifetime are more tailored and specific, but have the same impact. Over the course of that lifetime, you'll find you're pulled into the story or cast into specific roles depending on your destiny.

When that happens you can choose whether or not to star in the role, and if so, how you want to play it out.

-Caspian

Sounds to me like a giant chessboard of the gods, full of pawns they can chose to use at any particular point.

A bit like the old old film Jason and the Argonaughts where you see Zeus and Hera playing chess and picking which pawns to play.