COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Not my land!

Fellow Elyrians,

I am probably going to buy as much land as possible when the game comes out but i also want to travel. I was wondering if my family members could visit my lands while I'm gone so I won't lose the land.

Does anyone know if I can do that?

10165D

2/21/2017 3:31:59 AM #1

Depends on relationship with your family (which will probably be low at start of game) and if you have houses etc. They probably won't just sit still on empty space.

Also if you have alot of land i would assume your a mayor or something? It probably won't be defended if you just buy it and leave

2/21/2017 4:44:07 AM #2

What about players in my family

10165D

2/21/2017 3:18:57 PM #3

If i remember right it was said your family members can visit and keep your land "yours" so you don't lose it while you travel.

It was in one of the official posts, but don't remember which one now.

The land being legally yours does not ensure that your house will not be broken into and stuff plundered if not defended though (I am not sure how breaking in will work, someone else might have that answer).

2/21/2017 3:43:02 PM #4

I checked the journal that talks about land claiming and it looks like in order to take land that you don't want to buy, it must first be abandoned, "Abandoned land is land which has not been visited by owners or family members in the last 28 real-life days." and even then, the person would have to keep something on the land and defend it for 28 more days in order to keep the land. If the local governing authority doesn't like this (because technically it's their land if it's abandoned), then they can fight the person and destroy what's on the property.

Dev Journal on Land and Kingdom Management

2/22/2017 6:04:43 PM #5

Posted By Reikan at 10:31 PM - Mon Feb 20 2017

Depends on relationship with your family (which will probably be low at start of game) and if you have houses etc. They probably won't just sit still on empty space.

Also if you have alot of land i would assume your a mayor or something? It probably won't be defended if you just buy it and leave

You don't have to be a Mayor if you own the most land in a settlement, you just need enough land to consider yourself a Town and whoever confronts the Count/ess first gets the title of Mayor. However having more land gives you more voting power within your settlement.

As far as your question OP, yes you can delegate or give your family permission to assume control of your properties, giving them the ability to move, take, and place items as they see fit. I don't recall if them visiting keeps the 1 month (IRL time) timer from ticking down. Though I don't see why you would want to be out of a town for months at a time IRL, even if you are an adventurer/traveler you should still be able to make time to handle your estates and other business in your town especially if you pay any taxes, otherwise I'm sure the Mayor/Baron, or Count would have to do something about it.

2/22/2017 6:22:03 PM #6

Isn't land ownership taxed? wouldn't it in theory cost a lot to own a lot of land? also depending who the count is will determine how expensive it is to purchase in the first place. On the other note, I heard that it can be fairly easy to break into property through smashing a window or picking a lock but I also read somewhere that you could put a hole in the wall of the house if you stand there hitting the same spot for 10 minutes straight lol. 10 minutes is a lot of time but if you make a hole in a wall it'll be worth it lol. So if you own a load of land and build a home and then swan off you're gonna need to get someone to look after it.

2/22/2017 7:22:50 PM #7

Posted By SoulSpark at 12:22 PM - Wed Feb 22 2017

Isn't land ownership taxed? wouldn't it in theory cost a lot to own a lot of land? also depending who the count is will determine how expensive it is to purchase in the first place. On the other note, I heard that it can be fairly easy to break into property through smashing a window or picking a lock but I also read somewhere that you could put a hole in the wall of the house if you stand there hitting the same spot for 10 minutes straight lol. 10 minutes is a lot of time but if you make a hole in a wall it'll be worth it lol. So if you own a load of land and build a home and then swan off you're gonna need to get someone to look after it.

That's for a hole maybe the size of your hand, not one to walk in and out of. You'd need to sit there and swing for hours unless you had a siege machine. But your stamina and your tools will fail before you reach the mark of several hours. I'd imagine you would not be able to swing a tool for more than a few minutes before needing to stop and rest and maybe eat/drink. And sharpen your tools. The window smashing or lock picking route would be the way to go.

2/22/2017 7:41:31 PM #8

Posted By Kaynadin at 1:22 PM - Wed Feb 22 2017

Posted By SoulSpark at 12:22 PM - Wed Feb 22 2017

That's for a hole maybe the size of your hand, not one to walk in and out of. You'd need to sit there and swing for hours unless you had a siege machine. But your stamina and your tools will fail before you reach the mark of several hours. I'd imagine you would not be able to swing a tool for more than a few minutes before needing to stop and rest and maybe eat/drink. And sharpen your tools. The window smashing or lock picking route would be the way to go.

That depends on the type of material used in construction, the thickness of the wall, , the physical characteristics of the players toon, and the tool at hand.

if the house is made of thatch, a child with an axe could cut thru that in a very small number of swings.

While if it is made out of stone, it would probably take more than one adult person who are physically very strong. hours with a pick axe to make a person size hole.

same thing with wood. Depending what wood the house is made out of (how hard it is) , how thick the wall is (is it made from quarter in sheets or 4 in thick planks?)and what material your axe is made out of. Along with your characters level of strength, Would determine how long it takes to make a man sizes hole.

a child can go thru a single sheet of cheap quarter inch pine plywood in seconds with a basic axe in hand.

While if that same house was made out of this games equivalent to the ironwood tree (Australia) Especially if it was made out of planks vs boards or sheets.

Even with the best tool, It would likely take more than one person a while to make a man sizes hole.

Again this is all my theory based on what I have read in the DJs and Wiki.

EDIT: on the stone it still also depends on the material in thickness. Are we talking hollow cinder blocks, or 3ft square blocks mortared together. Is it a soft stone like sandstone, or is it something harder like granite?

So again, it is possible. but all depends on the variables of that specific situation.

though unless the house is made of something extremely easy to break like thatch. You'll probably be better off breaking a window or picking a lock.

2/22/2017 7:53:41 PM #9

why would you be gone so long ? how rare will mounts be ?

2/22/2017 8:16:38 PM #10

Posted By blazze at 1:53 PM - Wed Feb 22 2017

why would you be gone so long ? how rare will mounts be ?

The starting continent is going to be 256km x 128km . Assuming they use a walk speed of 1.5 m (note avg human walk speed according to google is 5m/hr, which would still be 51,200 hours) and that the entire 256km walk is flat. That would take 170,666 hours to walk. Not including stopping to sleep\eat

assuming they use 6.4m/hr for horse walk speed that would still take 40,000 hours for the horse to walk that same 256km. Not including stopping to sleep\eat

and that is assuming the world is flat. once you start adding in terrain that you have to go over or around. (rivers, mountains, chasms, ect) The time goes up and up.

if you decide to explore from one end of the continent to the other. Even on horseback it would still take more than 30 days.

2/22/2017 11:03:40 PM #11

Posted By SoulSpark at 1:22 PM - Wed Feb 22 2017

EP land is untaxable, so people who buy the EP plots will not be taxed by their Counts even if the Count's want to tax their land. They can however be taxed for roads and other infrastructure throughout their land or within the settlement they reside in.

2/23/2017 6:57:31 PM #12

if you have the cash to buy that much land, spend an extra $30 and make another account. leave one account at "home" to run the land management and travel abroad with the other.

2/23/2017 7:02:32 PM #13

Posted By Lunaus at 11:03 PM - Wed Feb 22 2017

EP land is untaxable, so people who buy the EP plots will not be taxed by their Counts even if the Count's want to tax their land. They can however be taxed for roads and other infrastructure throughout their land or within the settlement they reside in.

EP land? you can buy land via EP? didn't realise, think I'll buy myself a couple of dozen parcels then.

2/25/2017 9:34:13 PM #14

Posted By SoulSpark at 2:02 PM - Thu Feb 23 2017

Posted By Lunaus at 11:03 PM - Wed Feb 22 2017

EP land? you can buy land via EP? didn't realise, think I'll buy myself a couple of dozen parcels then.

Parcels are about the size of a village if I'm remembering the sizing correctly. I think they were similar in size as a Manor.