COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Stronghold or Outpost?

Hi Guys and Girls,

some one told me that Barons only get now a Outpost and not a Stronghold. When i pledged ther was writen that i can choose between a Stronghold or a city. :) What is know right?

Best wishes Sunny

http://www.elyria.de/forum/gildenhalle/161-der-orden-the-call?limitstart=0

2/24/2017 7:51:33 AM #1

I think you have been mislead.

2/24/2017 9:16:06 AM #2

Mayors and barons get cities, no matter what, the difference between being a mayor and a baron depends on the contract you make with your liege lord. baronies are militant strongholds that require funding... mayors are just civil members

2/24/2017 2:37:04 PM #3

Thanks DrTank. You actually just helped clear up a question between mayor/baron.

2/24/2017 4:59:46 PM #4

I have not heard of any changes so as far as I know a Mayor gets a town and a Baron gets a village/stronghold. I do not know how much fortification will be present when you receive your property but I am almost certain it should be fairly well established, unless you try to fortify a village from the bottom up. Another major distinction is that mayors receive funds for operations though a portion of the taxes collected where as a Baron is supported (full or in part) by the Duke by the way of a contract for land protection.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

2/24/2017 5:08:45 PM #5

Posted By DrTank09 at 09:16 AM - Fri Feb 24 2017

Mayors and barons get cities, no matter what

Barons don't get cities they get a military counterpart and I'm of the impression that Mayors get Towns and not Cities. Cities go to Counts and Capitols to Dukes, or something like that anyway.

2/24/2017 7:04:09 PM #6

at settlement selection all nobles and aristocrates will get a settlement to manage, the size of it will only depend on what you select from what is available.

at settlement selection there will be no barons, only mayors.

Then at some point not totally clear yet, either during KoE or at exposition the duke will come to the mayor and talk with him to sign a baron contract.

That contract will grant the mayor some funding to build and maintain some troops and defensive buildings.

It is understood that that focus will slow or limit the civilian growth of the baron but, the base settlement was a civilian one and will keep be one at least partly and that part will still grow if managed well.

On top of that nothing prevent a mayor to build and maintain on his own funding troops and defensive buildings.

2/26/2017 8:05:52 AM #7

Yeah, what Markof said above, is also my understanding of it. I would presume that during the 'actual' dance of dynasties period following land selection, contracts will be issued with the transition of a settlement from 'civilian' to 'military' taking place during the actual building phase of exposition so that those 'towns' are built up into 'strongholds' before the bulk of players hit the game at launch.

2/26/2017 10:00:55 AM #8

Thanks for clarifying Soulspark. I should have said settlements instead of cities.

2/26/2017 10:14:41 AM #9

Right, to put this straight, the Kickstarter tier specifically states "Choose your town/stronghold" under the Baron tier.

I don't recall seeing anything that indicates you would freely be able to decide how much funding your receive from your duke to support troops. Indeed this would seem a little unfair to the Duke if all his Barons arranged themselves on the interior of his Duchy and took all his funding.

Nowhere refers to a City. In regards to "stronghold", there's nothing more detailed on there. In terms of size, we can refer to the wiki: http://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Settlements. The equivalent of a town, according to the wiki is in fact a Keep, not a stronghold or Outpost. This may well be a side effect of re-naming the settlement tiers. A Keep sounds a little more in keeping with a Town in terms of development, but they may have subsequently renamed them again. Regardless of what they call it, "A rose by any other name is still a rose". It will be a military installation of some manner, supporting troops for the local area.

Nothing on the kickstarter tiers indicates how many soldiers you would command, how much funding you would receive or anything else. Some counties may not have significant numbers of troops, so the scale of military settlements may not be as large as towns. This is all under development and subject to balancing.

What you can safely assume at this stage is that the options for selection will be fair and balanced, and will represent the backing level and any reasonable expectation. You will have an overview on selection, enabling you to tell what the local population is, and more more information about your chosen settlement type, so you're not going to be making decisions in the dark.

It's reasonable to expect that from the outset, there will be "outposts" around, fielding troops. Those that are well run will no doubt grow. It may well be that we're going to be the option to choose to run such an installation during selection. This would ensure that those who depserately want to be a Baron can be exactly that, without pushing too many commitments on the Duke.