COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
First post/likes and concerns

I love city management, micro management of resources, people, end products etc. I love building and designing, but sometimes I just wanna run into a group of peace loving hippies and cut their heads off. Be it beasts or dodecahydras with 12 heads or even furry bunnies (or furries) that identify as bunnies. I am almost ready to pull the plug on the mayor package, but just have a serious concern over the level of actual "action" within the game. I could spend hundreds of hours building a community and love every minute of it, but if there isn't an "outlet" for my more aggressive side, the game will be a total flop for me. I don't like singular duels, I prefer medium to large scale pvp or PVE etc. and I am just not seeing that happening in this game after the initial push of folks who don't know better who don't invest the time and think this is supposed to be like every other MMO out there (I see the irony in my post believe me, but I believe it possible to have both at least to some measurable degree). I know this isn't intended to be a pure "action mmo" and is catering more to the RP/city building crowd and I am fine with that as a "mainstay" but everyone needs a little action in their lives. SO there is my thoughts, what say ye!.

2/24/2017 10:57:30 PM #1

It's a true to life game as much as possible meaning there's nothing stopping you being aggressive and running into hippies and swinging your sword but you'll just become an outlaw and deal with the consequences and that's part of what the game is all about, players do things and the game reacts and that generates a story. If you wanna do all that but not be an outlaw then you have to work hard for it by climbing the corporate ladder so to speak and forging alliances and waging a war but even that will have consequences. It's all about cause and effect to produce player created storylines, so play however you want to and then deal with the results of your choices.

2/24/2017 11:02:38 PM #2

Depending on the kingdom you try to be a part of, you can probably be as peaceful or violent as you want. If you are a part of a kingdom that is actively warring against its neighbors, you'll see more large-scale battles than you will if the neighbors have signed a peace treaty.

Perhaps in addition to mayor, you want to moonlight as a member of a mercenary guild? There are options, just make sure you set yourself up for success - the game isn't going to automatically predict the game style everyone wants to play.

2/25/2017 1:08:44 AM #3

I think the idea is that there's some risk attached to getting involved in action, but you couldn't have risk if there wasn't any action to get involved in.

Would also be a waste of a nice combat system!

2/25/2017 2:05:23 AM #4

The difference between CoE and most MMOs is that there's stuff to kill, it just takes effort to get to it. Rather than an infinitely spawning mob in the exact same place that drops the exact same set of loot you have to track beasts, hunt them down, and hope they don't eat your face when you find them. According to the devs the duty of a mayor should only take up a matter of hours each week so that still leaves quite a bit of time for adventuring. You don't sound like the type to be shy of the higher death penalty but even so you could start up an adventuring alt just for this purpose. Dukes and Kings with 16x/32x penalties will certainly be doing that and I'm positive that there is plenty of action to find if that's your alt's one goal.

2/25/2017 2:13:33 AM #5

I kinda wish there was an immersion break for PvP Game modes like in other mmos. Where you would queue up for PvP and it would drop you in CTF, King of the Hill, Domination, etc and it would just pop ur OPC in CoE and take ur PC to an instance. No rep, no fame, just ooc combat that in no way shape or form affects the original game. Casual combat that all players be crafter, deviant or gatherer could enjoy. Sadly they wont >.<

I don't know anymore.

2/25/2017 3:42:15 AM #6

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 9:13 PM - Fri Feb 24 2017

I kinda wish there was an immersion break for PvP Game modes like in other mmos. Where you would queue up for PvP and it would drop you in CTF, King of the Hill, Domination, etc and it would just pop ur OPC in CoE and take ur PC to an instance. No rep, no fame, just ooc combat that in no way shape or form affects the original game. Casual combat that all players be crafter, deviant or gatherer could enjoy. Sadly they wont >.<

I like your thinking. :)

2/25/2017 3:45:11 AM #7

Posted By cjmarsh at 9:05 PM - Fri Feb 24 2017

The difference between CoE and most MMOs is that there's stuff to kill, it just takes effort to get to it. Rather than an infinitely spawning mob in the exact same place that drops the exact same set of loot you have to track beasts, hunt them down, and hope they don't eat your face when you find them. According to the devs the duty of a mayor should only take up a matter of hours each week so that still leaves quite a bit of time for adventuring. You don't sound like the type to be shy of the higher death penalty but even so you could start up an adventuring alt just for this purpose. Dukes and Kings with 16x/32x penalties will certainly be doing that and I'm positive that there is plenty of action to find if that's your alt's one goal.

I do care about the death penalty, and an alt/family member may be the answer to making an adventurer while I keep my mayor as a tradesman of some type. My concern is that here you will have 24 duchies and they will all have peace treaties for all eternity and except for a few "griefers" there will be little to no "adventure". Gonna keep on top of the game, figure I have a few months to decide and before I think about getting "active" in the community itself and playing the pregame.

2/25/2017 4:01:44 AM #8

Bear in mind that there are 24 Counties per Duchy (which is what I think you meant) but only 12 of those slots can be reserved by the Duke. So even if everything is sunshine and roses in the established kingdom there is still room for unknown players to come in and shake things up, or half a kingdom of NPCs to conquer. Either way there's going to be conflict right out of the gate and that doesn't even account for inter-kingdom politics once the dust settles.

2/25/2017 5:02:19 AM #9

Get a second basic account. Make that your murder alt.

Saves your progress and station as an upstanding mayor and community manager while providing an outlet for ultra-violence.

2/25/2017 5:13:13 AM #10

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 6:13 PM - Fri Feb 24 2017

and i'm 'thank god there won't'

if you want arena style combat that isn't tied to the entire 10 year storyline so be it

to me it would be totally against what SBS iis building, what the entire dance of dynasties is about, why some counties won't have much in terms of resources and others will be swimming with them

the whole premise is to encourage pvp - and try to think of PvP as not just sword vs sword - Caspian summed it up nicely in another thread where PvP in CoE includes dance of dynasties, political warfare, economic warfare and a number of other examples

i don't understand why people join a sandbox game in development and then want the devs to recreate farmville?

2/25/2017 7:57:38 AM #11

I feel like immersion break for PVP would take away alot of the game, like back then that was a thing, battle just cause your soldiers were bored as fuck and that's all they knew how to do, if you don't keep your soldiers busy and satisfied, they'll go mercs and when you really need them you'll have to hire them at a premium cause they are mercs now. I tell you don't worry or you'll have plenty fighting to do in your barony/county, or surrounding baronies/counties will, worst case scenario Private mercs group will have job for you.

2/25/2017 8:51:40 AM #12

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 1:13 PM - Sat Feb 25 2017

You have brought this up before and I don't get it personally. If I was really in the mood for some mass killing. I would log off and play a game where that was. Not just get annoyed that CoE doesn't have it.

2/25/2017 2:11:09 PM #13

Posted By Dleatherus at 12:13 AM - Sat Feb 25 2017

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 6:13 PM - Fri Feb 24 2017

and i'm 'thank god there won't'

if you want arena style combat that isn't tied to the entire 10 year storyline so be it

to me it would be totally against what SBS iis building, what the entire dance of dynasties is about, why some counties won't have much in terms of resources and others will be swimming with them

the whole premise is to encourage pvp - and try to think of PvP as not just sword vs sword - Caspian summed it up nicely in another thread where PvP in CoE includes dance of dynasties, political warfare, economic warfare and a number of other examples

i don't understand why people join a sandbox game in development and then want the devs to recreate farmville?

Because that is theoretical and the only basis for that is the "plan". You theoretically encourage PvP all you want, it doesn't mean the result is PvP. Unless CoE literally makes PvP the only option to get something I doubt soldiers in my counties or any county in a royal duchy will see much except for crims. Yeah 1 county attacking another in the royal duchy will last long.....great plan...... And lets be honest, being a guard is most likely going to be hella boring. Unless you can facilitate a steady crime rate yet control it from snowballing.

The basis of your -there will be PvP argument- is all theoretical with really nothing behind it. Your banking on the fact that 2 counts can't come to an agreement and even then your banking on the fact that a count can even fight another count without getting stomped into the mud.

Logically 1 v 24 isn't good odds. So starting a civil war just to 1 v 24 the counts is probably not your best move. So your entire basis is around something entirely up to the community unless again, SBS can make PvP the only viable option.

Posted By CountFrancisDrake at 02:57 AM - Sat Feb 25 2017

I feel like immersion break for PVP would take away alot of the game, like back then that was a thing, battle just cause your soldiers were bored as fuck and that's all they knew how to do, if you don't keep your soldiers busy and satisfied, they'll go mercs and when you really need them you'll have to hire them at a premium cause they are mercs now. I tell you don't worry or you'll have plenty fighting to do in your barony/county, or surrounding baronies/counties will, worst case scenario Private mercs group will have job for you.

So a settlement is punished by CoE because they aren't in a conflict? Seems legit. I don't see why that is something I wouldn't want taken away from the game. Why would anyone want their standing military devolve into mercs because they aren't in conflict. Makes 0 sense.

Posted By Gunnlang at 03:51 AM - Sat Feb 25 2017

You have brought this up before and I don't get it personally. If I was really in the mood for some mass killing. I would log off and play a game where that was. Not just get annoyed that CoE doesn't have it.

"mass killing"... blown up term and not accurate to a game mode like CTF lol.

Furthermore, idk about other counts but I would really rather someone capturing a flag than being a deviant or merc because they can't find PvP.

Some legacy group is coming into CoE. Huge Huge group with medals of honor from many many games where their groups/guilds sit in the top 10 for PvP. They want to do PvP but as guards/military units. What should happen if a group that demolishes entire server PvP in multiple MMOs would have nothing to do. Sure the single players could search for conflict but what of the counts and their followers that are stationary.

To me that isn't story. That's accelerated conflict caused by design focusing on immersion rather than the psychology of a PvP oriented player.

Again, the basis that there will be enough PvP is the theoretical assumption that PvP will be a viable means for county to county or duchy to duchy interaction.

If the assumption is wrong then what? Players like the OP would be more likely to do something deviant. "cutting the heads of 12 hippies" as I think he put it is generally frowned upon. Doing something deviant would probably naturally lead into more deviance like crafting a false identity to get away.

I just want to know logically in your guy's head what you expect a soldier with no conflict to do.

My options:

• Duels/Arena. Actually viable if they do it right. Dueling needs to have a high fame/rep spread, NPCs need to be able to recognize arenas and battles and watch/bet on them, tournament brackets and with a set reward in the form of a contract would be a bonus. People duel for glory. If this feeling isn't recreated than the arena will die out. Also, another problem is that an arena needs to be able to hold a steady population of online PCs. So if they can fill both those holes than this would extremely viable.

• Be a mercenary. Hired gun for anyone to rent now you lose power for your military, the public gains power against you and you have to pay for the formerly free soldiers services.

• Be a deviant. You lost a potential guard for a deviant. Clearly not a good trade.

• As more soldiers turn deviant, become a guard and spend your time tracking them down.

I don't know anymore.