COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Question: Why did you join Chronicles of Elyria

Out of sheer curiosity I wanted to know what drives others into this epic game.

3/16/2017 9:56:56 PM #16

I was searching for sandbox MMO with player driven economy, but in everything I found, the only real end-game purpose was PVP which, alone, gets boring fast. Also, in many games, the multiplayer element is boring, since you only use others to form parties to complete the standard quests/dungeons.

Sure, CoE has many interesting features, but the truly unique feature in CoE that piqued my interest is the player-driven story that is being developed in these 10 years. Other players drastically affect your own story, not just forming raiding parties. It kinda feels like playing these non-lineal RPG games like Witcher and Skyrim, with the difference that it is MMO and there aren't just multiple choices/endings: There are endless possible choices/endings.

Region: Europe

3/16/2017 11:28:26 PM #17

The link to the game's kickstarter was my Mother's Day gift from my son. He knew that it would be something I would like. I had gotten frustrated with my only other MMO I have ever played as there was no consequences for actions. Death means something on this game.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

3/17/2017 12:16:17 AM #18

I'd had this silly little scenario I would play out in my head while trying to fall asleep where I was role playing in a family that was living off the land, protecting their crops and creating our own experiences and personal stories. It was really fun to think about and would help me get relaxed before sleeping but I never thought it would actually exist, then I found CoE through a random post on Reddit and realized that this was as close as I was going to get to a game that I've wanted to play for years upon years. I fell in love with all of the concepts and goals of CoE, thus getting really into the community and its development, and have supported the game ever since :)

3/17/2017 1:46:05 AM #19

I stumbled upon this game through an ad on Facebook, actually. It showcased the aging and dying mechanic in an MMO, and I was intrigued by the concept -- I mean, what kind of MMO has permadeath?

So, I checked out the game.. skimmed a bit through the forums.. joined the community around Valentine's Day last year and made my very first post here, on a little thread created by Souzou that posed two unique creatures from Elyria together and asked the community: which would win?

A few days later I discovered the IRC link, and Maygus shared with me a client called IRCCloud that made the chat channel look infinitely better -- so I started hanging out and that's where I met Caspian.

I've participated in the beta tests for many MMORPGs over the years, and the level of interaction between the devs and the community were mindblowing, to me. It wasn't really something I'd experienced before, so being able to converse with the CEO of the company developing this beautiful MMO was kind of surreal.

So, I came for the mechanics that weren't really done in an MMO -- aging and permadeath, a world where your actions had consequences and your existence left behind ripples -- and I stayed around for the community and the team creating this game.

3/17/2017 1:58:14 AM #20

To avenge a friend.

Raymond Reddington. Criminal and Business Investor.

Dearest Darling. I'm coming for you.

3/17/2017 2:06:17 AM #21

I've always wanted to be a merchant in MMOs, and would try something along that lines in other games, but it never felt right. The market systems never had true shortages or surplus, the games never changed the speed or resources needed to create something. Always stagnant, and thus felt fake after a few months. CoE seems to want to change that philosophy, and I'm looking forward to it breaking the norm.

3/17/2017 2:59:25 AM #22

The world has the potential to be an ideal work of fiction: both macro and micro stories, along with perfectly portrayed human characters (because they are human). Also, truth tends to be stranger than fiction, so when the lines blur what happens? How could I miss out on this?

3/17/2017 6:45:55 AM #23

I first heard about CoE nearly a year before the Kickstarter. There were far fewer details then, but what made me keep tabs on it was Caspian was essentially proposing an MMO with more simulation-style game play in an interesting setting.

3/17/2017 7:34:07 AM #24

I have only played a scant few games online. I started with UO, then WOW, Star Trek Online, and finally Star Wars:TOR. I hate quests and of these few games I loved UO the most (I still have an Ultima Online Forever account I play from time to time).

Someone recently told me about some other UO 'like' game and in the course of checking it out I ran across CoE. OMG (can I say that?) If what I've read about CoE is delivered this is like UO on (insert highly illegal stimulant drug here). I only hope when it is fully developed I have the time to play it.

My favorite aspect of UO or for pretty much any game is the economy (buying and selling). Since I dabble in it in real life (slow) I get immediate or near immediate gratification doing the same in a game. CoE looks to be a good equivalent to real life and as such will be a good escape.

Houses. Another aspect of UO I loved.

CoE death system. What a great concept.

The vastness of the world and the spectacular landscapes. I will have to buy a new computer to fully enjoy all the game features.

3/17/2017 9:24:00 AM #25

Basically, after I watched SAO, Log Horizon and Overlord I was sorely disappointed that there weren't any games that came anywhere near that in terms of immersion and player freedom. Then, someone shared the kickstarter on Quora. I read up a bit and immediately got caught up in the hype.

Alt text

3/17/2017 10:14:09 AM #26

Chip, he is habitually the reason I Kickstart games.

It also tickled my fancy with the suggestion of being the sort of game were player run organisations are important to the game without all the spread sheets and "second job" status that comes with stuff like EVE.

Be benevolent, never benign.

3/17/2017 10:16:29 AM #27

i want just a game where i can make my story even if is for a short time on that world :P

sono un tipo che ama gioca tranquilamente

3/17/2017 4:59:55 PM #28

Ever since I played classic Runescape over a decade ago I've been on the look out for a game in which I could be an artisan with a small shop and have engaging gameplay and interaction with other players in a non-combat role. I've also searched for a game that prioritized storytelling, building relationships between players, and meaningful player choices with lasting consequences. This is the first I've seen. I have very high hopes for this game. In the end I chose to back the game because even if it ends up having flaws, it's the first MMO I've seen that appears to have a plan for game mechanics that will foster the play style I've been looking for. I'm excited about this game and want to see more games like it.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/17/2017 11:17:26 PM #29

The epic game is epic.

Count Lofi of Skaaney, friend code 8766AA

3/18/2017 12:06:39 AM #30

I absolutely love the idea of playing a soul rather than a character, as well as a game where the players are part of the story to such a degree.