COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Lore Story: The Planes of Nirath

Hey guys, thought I'd do some creative writing and what better game to give me inspiration than COE. This story follows some background lore regarding Androctonus (a town within Nirath), as two travellers discuss the myths surrounding the land...

[note:1 I spelt the name of the story wrong, believe it or not this isn't a story on aeroplanes xD]

If you enjoy the story feel free to ask for stuff regarding your own settlements, and feel free to follow me on Twitter @Neeto_Makar.

During one night on the planes of Nirath two travellers set camp, tired from their journey across the course sands and rocky outcroppings. They sat amongst sparse shrubbery, huddled around a fire which heated both themselves and their drinks. Before they slept they shared stories, as many nomads do, about the kingdom itself. Nirath sits atop land filled with history, of battles hard fought and friendships strengthened, leading to a myriad of myths concerning the secrets hidden within the sun-baked earth.

An older woman native to the land lounged comfortably by the flames, staring towards the horizon as she spoke ‘They say that decades ago, there were ancient creatures who roamed these lands, with many legs and skin like iron’ She paused to drink, breathing in the steam that came from the hot liquid within her small wooden mug. She looked across the fire to her acquaintance, a young man around 20 sharpening his sword; he grinned to himself as he stared at the steel, his eyes reflecting the cinders that blew past his face.

‘I’m a bit old for bedtime stories, especially ones that play upon a child’s imagination rather than actual history’. He smiled towards her before refocusing towards his weapon. She curiously looked back at him, entertained by his brash reply. ‘And I suppose you were here all those years ago, able to witness the non-existence of these creatures?’ His smile widened, he was happy to pass the time in silence, but he supposed banter at her stories expense was more fun. ‘I was witness to as much as you or anyone else, absolutely nothing. All I know is that if they were real, they would be walking around us right now in all their primordial glory!’.

‘True, they are all but gone today. No one knows how or why of course, but many believe they act as guardians over the many settlements who call these sands home’. The passion in this women’s words struck a chord with the young traveller. He wasn’t particularly religious himself, believing that other’s fortune came from blood, sweat and tears rather than divine intervention. Despite his youth, he had seen his share of sights; belief as strong as stone is rarely baseless. ‘Okay fine. Let’s suppose that not only were these guardians here, but that they look over the people. To what end? Why would these things care about some farmer’s plight?’

Now both travellers had each other’s attention, the women’s drink had turned cold and the young man’s sword had become dirty from its time on the ground. ‘The people have their own ways of honouring them, some toil the hard ground in the belief that their efforts to bring life to this place brings fortune. Others harden themselves to be as rigid and daunting as the beasts themselves, training tirelessly in combat. Whatever the people are doing seems to be working, I believe we had a good harvest this year despite the harsh sun.’

The young man still had his doubts. He could understand the common man finding faith in such stories; life was hard for those who work their own land, especially in this place whose sun hammers down on the scorching land. ‘There is certainly no denying the toughness of the people here’ He chuckled. ‘But surely these thoughts are limited to the farmers and crafters here, I reckon those born to wealth lack your devotion’.

‘Wrong again’ she smirked, happy now she had dented his stubbornness against their tales. ‘The settlement Androctonus claims to be built above the bones of such creatures, with some of its community believing they help keep the animals strong and the crops plentiful’. This showed a crack in his armour, for a second a look of shock erupted from his face before being quickly covered.

Content with the results, the Women yawned ‘Well then, with that I need to sleep. We all can’t have the energy of you youngsters.’ She stood up slowly, taking one last look over her surroundings before returning to her shelter. Meanwhile the young man stayed stuck to his position, looking at the ground around him. Was he convinced? No, but something had certainly changed. He picked up his sword and placed it amongst his other possessions. Returning to the fire he looked towards the horizon, taking in the land as best he could considering the darkness the surrounded him. Finally, he poured what remained of his drink into the fire, the flames subsided and smoke whispered past his face in its journey towards the stars.

3/5/2017 9:59:42 PM #1

Excellent story and really well written, I'd love to read more.

Alias of the Leader of the guild, The Hidden Eye. Our goal is to find and expose fraud and lies that harm the people of Elyria. We are not tied to any Kingdom, as we only serve the universal truth. Find out more about us on Discord: https://discord.gg/hvUvyEp

3/7/2017 9:32:24 AM #2

An interesting tale. I hope it's the first entry in a book of Nirathian lore. :)

Alt text

3/7/2017 12:48:30 PM #3

Nicely written. You should write more ;)

3/27/2017 5:50:52 AM #4

You know how to have a good start middle and end without having it too long or too short, good job.

Alt text - can be left blank

5/15/2017 7:40:29 PM #5

great story, ready for more

"Roses are red, violets are blue; sometimes it don't be like that, sometimes it just do" -the G.O.A.T.

friend code-B0945E