COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
In Summation to the Discussion on Magick

More on the point though, the main reason behind these questions is, of course, to figure out answers. I kind of wish that we'd get the non-story specifics on magick, talents, and supernatural states (Vampires, liches, etc.). I think that's a main reason for a lot of other people also. That's why you have an increase in people asking about magick.

I'd hate it to be some kind of add-on that's just there to make the game appeal to buyers. Kinda heartless to say, typing that out, but it happens. You have an aging, perma-death game, but your work follows you through a soul (The steak), a player dependent game that is run by an engine that adapts to player input (the lobster tail beside the steak), and a hint of magick (the orchid on the plate). The orchid is pretty, but no one eats it.

I'm constantly told to flesh out or cut out. Honestly, and I can't believe I'm saying this... I probably drank too much rum tonight... I'd rather magick be cut from this game entirely if it's nothing more than what we know about it now. I don't want to be one of those people in game looking for something that isn't there, so... Dev Mates... Can you throw a little hope my way? Maybe some butter to go with that lobster tail? If not, I'm going to have to rework my plan here.

- Shmuck

3/2/2017 7:53:06 AM #1

I think you missed the point of CoE. This game does not have a steak, a lobster tail and an orchid for everyone. That would be the definition of a themepark MMORPG.

Also, dont expect the devs to give us a monsterwiki, that would ruin the adventure aspect of the game.

As for magic, just trust that the Devs do it the right way.

3/2/2017 8:37:08 AM #2

There's not really an increase in people asking about magic. These type of threads pop up periodically, like that tuft of hair that just won't stay down. :D Look for the purposes of playing CoE, just consider magic non-existent, if you happen to develop something special, a Talent, then yay! Great! But don't plan on it.

Like many great franchises, powerful mystical characters, might exist. Think Gandalf, Sauron or Bayaz. However, think of all the people that exist in the worlds these characters inhabit, how many do you reckon are mages? Not a lot. For these characters to have the required story impact, which SBS is aiming for, story, they need to be rare.

It's a rare thing to have a game aim for having actual player impact, but player impact requires some things to be rare. A fully destructible world, with fireball slinging mages in the thousands and zero RL accountability would lead to Elyria quickly becoming Karcion ;)

3/2/2017 8:50:53 AM #3

Magical relics are something different than talents(hence dont need talent for magic) so change your goals if magic really is so important to you.

Personally id be fine if they made it 1%. It takes enjoyment out of the game if instead of exploring and being curious and being rewarded for it, everyone is exactly the same as each other because everyone demanded the devs to make them strong rather than effort.