COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Collectively written story

I had a thought. Why not make a story? Not just any sort of story, but a sort of story where one begin writing, another continues the writing and so on and so forth. By doing so, we can create a collectively written story (hence the named for the subject). If it sounds interesting, feel free to start writing and let's see if we can get a good story going.

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” /Neil Gaiman

"Be good. That way you can inspire others to be good too. If not anything else, you have been good and that is one more person than it would have been without you." (My own)

3/3/2017 4:56:39 PM #1

I ran through the forest, jumping over bushes and dodging low-grown branches. I tried to look behind every few steps to see if I was still stalked. If I noticed even the smallest of moment behind me, it meant I was going to keep running. You will not… [I started thinking, while I was longing for air into my lungs]… catch me. You might be able to catch everyone else, but I will make sure you will not catch me as well. Deeper and deeper I ran into the forest, hoping my stalker would lose track of me. Suddenly I found...

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” /Neil Gaiman

"Be good. That way you can inspire others to be good too. If not anything else, you have been good and that is one more person than it would have been without you." (My own)

3/3/2017 7:39:32 PM #2

A cave. With no time to waste, I entered the dark hole in the rock. At first I ran on a shallow slope, but it quickly got steeper and before I could stop I was gliding down through the darkness at a steadily increasing speed. But soon, a faint glow became visible in the distance. Then, the slope suddenly ended and I was launched into a large, dimly lit cave. But before I could get a good look at my surroundings I hit the water and the air was forced out of my lungs as I started kicking and struggling. After a few seconds that seemed like an eternity my head broke through the surface and I gasped for air. Once I recovered a bit I looked around to see a large cylindrical cave with luminescent mushrooms growing on the roof. As I climbed on a nearby ledge, I noticed I was missing my...

Alt text

3/4/2017 12:51:21 AM #3

…ring, the ring that I got from my father three birthdays ago. I had never taken it off ever since I got it and I wasn’t about to just leave it. I thought it must be in the cave because I knew I still had it seconds before I found the cave. The mushrooms glow helped me spot the ring in the water. I remember thinking that it reflected the light quite beautifully. I got back into the water, this time I took a deep breath before going under water. I swam to the bottom where my ring was and put it in while still in the water. When I was about to go back up to the surface I noticed what seemed like a connection to another part of the cave. It was a faint glow at the other side of the connection, you couldn’t see the glow, or the connection itself either, when above the surface and I felt intrigued by it. If my stalker hadn’t already lost me, swimming through to the other cave should certainly make them lose me. I went up to the surface again and took a really deep breath before diving down once more and swimming through to the other part of the cave. In that other cave...

3/4/2017 5:23:46 AM #4

I found quite a sight. The cavern I ended up in was big, about the size of a barn. More glowing mushrooms illuminated the walls and ceiling, and I saw countless markings and symbols. The small lake I surfaced in was surrounded by a stone ledge, and I pulled myself out of the water. Inspecting a wall, the language was unfamiliar, but the writing was smooth and methodical. It wasn't written by an amateur. Peeling away from the wall I searched for a way out, and noticed a large crack in the wall, cutting through the hieroglyphs in a jagged scar. It looked big enough to fit through, and seemed to lead somewhere, so i carefully made my way in, avoiding jagged rocks and sharp points. I walked for no more than a minute when I...

(I hope someone makes the hieroglyphs important somehow later, and sorry I'm such a bad writer)

Good and evil are only perspectives. The world is gray, and made to have color by people. (Friend code A0C401)

3/19/2017 7:24:14 PM #5

…saw a small campfire. “Hello?” I called out thinking that the one making the campfire probably was not too far away. No response, no one seemed to be nearby.

I thought that I maybe I could dry off a little before anything else, I did not really want to explore further in a cold cave while having soaking wet clothes on. I sat down by the campfire and felt much warmer right away. Only a few seconds went by before I heard a voice behind me saying something. It sounded unlike any language I had heard before, ancient somehow. The voice woke me up and I was once again in my bed.

This was the second time this month that I had dreamt that dream. Although the last time I did not get that far, the first time I had awoken before I got to that second part of the cave. That voice… and those hieroglyphs… something seemed familiar about them. I knew in my heart that this dream was more than just a dream, it felt more real than many others had felt. Maybe this was one of those dreams that my mother told me about. She said that when she was younger she had dreamt quite a few such dreams. 'Truth dreams', my mother said they were called. The problem with them was that you did not know when they were coming true, if they ever did in your lifetime.

“Briana…”, my mother said while checking if I was awake, “…you have to hurry up if you don’t want to have to run all the way. I have made some porridge for you, and packed two apples for you in case you get hungry.”

I put on some clothes and ate the porridge with glee. My mother always were good at cooking, even porridge tasted good when she had made it. My father had just woken up as well, usually he and I would accompany each other on the way to town but not today. Today I had to be there early. I gave my mother and father a hug, a kiss and a wave before hurrying of to town with my dear old backpack with me. Today was not just any day, today was…

5/10/2017 7:14:14 PM #6

... the first day of my official apprenticeship! I am going to be the best scribe in all the land, I thought to myself while rushing down the road toward town. Just thinking about how the Baron and the Count would call on me, Briana Maarke, Daughter of a Baker, to write their contracts and design their laws made the rush to town seem like a gentle stroll in the woods.

I was so lost in my musings about my great future that, upon entering town, I almost missed...

Hope it helps...

6/1/2017 2:55:54 PM #7

...that one of the guardsmen waved me closer.

"Excuse me, miss", the guard said as I came closer.

"Yes?", I replied.

"Would you by any chance be heading to the docks?"

"Not really...", I said.

"Oh, very well then, nevermind", the guard said, with a troubled tone in his voice.

I know that if I don't at least ask, I would feel so bad the rest of the day.

"Why do you wonder?", I asked.

"Well, you see...", the guard started. "... I were to deliver this letter before my duties today, but I ran out of time, due to some...let's say personal matters. I actually got it a week ago, but it was made clear, that it shouldn't be delivered until today. I really can't leave my post today, so I need some help with the delivery."

I thought about it for a moment and decided I could try and squeeze it in. I had in fact been quicker to town than I thought, so if I hurried I could make the delivery before my apprenticeship were to start.

"I can try to deliver your letter", I said.

"That is very kind of you. I promise I'll repay you for it."

The guard gave me a quick smile before handing me a letter, with the name 'Tobias Prisk' written on it.

"Deliver it to 'Captain Prisk', the captain of the ship with blue sails. He is usally the loudest there, so he shouldn't be too hard to find. Thank you and good luck."

I hurried of towards the docks, hoping to find Captain Prisk quickly. There was basically two ways to the docks from the gate. One went through the marketplace and then past the inn, and the other went through the narrow winding streets of the eastern part of town.

I decided to take the one that went through...