COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Lessons Learned the Hard Way.
Lessons Learned the Hard Way in Creating Various Academic Factions.
By Amicus Mourchaux.

From the Horizon Exploratory Guild to Whiterose Capital, I have led and aided in many great endeavors. Sadly, many of said endeavors faltered one way or another. If you are starting out in the world and wish to start an academic guild, heed my advice. It may save you a lot of trouble.

Make sure the noble you're establishment is dealing with understands and supports your vision. Have it written down and "signed" so a noble doesn't change his/her plans for the academy on you down the road. If it's the royalty itself, there's not much you can do about that.

I just got back from a self imposed Elyrian exile. A few months had gone by from that point. I started Agravaine Academy with a friend and there were miscommunications concerning the goals of the school with one of the nobles involved.

The vision of myself and my friend was a trade academy centered on the study and advancement of mystical persons, places, and things. On an upper level though, it was meant to be a safe haven for those burdened by anti-mystic machinations.

To cut the story short, this vision was not shared properly, which led to me and the count thinking two different goals for months. At that point of revelation there was so much drama swirling around everything that I pretty much just handed the keys to the count and said good luck.

Work on what you know you can commit to.

Do not build up something thinking that it will be occupied by another person later down the road, but not too far down the road where it's too late. Necessity is key. Build upon necessity and interest. That's what all of this *should be about. A bunch of crazy people, working their entire Elyrian life for a specific whatever. Find these people, but don't bet on them before you meet them. DO find them and build up your vision by including it with those you meet.

Don't spread the division of labor too thin.

You want to find a balance. If you trust one whole area to just one person, this one whole area isn't being looked over when their offline. You want a decent amount of people working on the same thing, so when one person is out for a month, there's Timmy working on healing salves.

Don't name an organization based on where the organization is currently located in.

Just don't. Name it something else. Be creative. Use a word generator. Use "Magic Rainbow Midgets in the Sky Academy". Just don't use the location you are in. Say you and a count have a falling out and you need to move your guild elsewhere. Well, you jumped the gun with the name and now there's this whole thing about changing ownerships, changing names, and editing forums all over the place.

Don't start something in a barony, county, duchy, until you have spent some time there and know the actual motives of the baron, count, or duke to the best of your capabilities.

The very first guild a friend of mine and I created got bombarded almost immediately by this one rule. Lets just say the Dance of Dynasties was well into motion a year before now.

Yeah, just understand that the people you partner up with have their own agendas. Some are good, others not so much. If they are often not honest, try to impose restrictions on your interactions with other decent standing factions, or just try to put you in a corner, get out of there.

Keep pushing forward.

The level of difficulty in this area differs according to the server you want to be on.

There is an elitism in academia, which is gather by the amount of time and people you have in an academic organization. Some have been here for a decent amount of time, so naturally there are a lot of people there. Which is great. Fantastic for them. Well done and all that, but this does cause an issue for new and existing academic / research groups.

Why stay and fight for this new guild that is struggling to gain interest and members when I can just go to this pre-existing guild and not worry about that other one? What you have to understand is that this is fair. Making people struggle to make your vision complete is not your vision. But, on the flip side, it's not fully fair because when someone posts something about wanting to join an academic guild, about three people from the same elite are going to post a reply within the hour. A tad hard to compete when you're just one lass with a sign, standing outside a shack you bought with IP.

Something similar to this happened to Agravaine. Due to "intolerance of the subject matter", many in the academy left the kingdom altogether. Then the median of new members just dropped and the academy withered into nothing. It especially turned into nothing when it became nothing more than a handful of tents and a kitten. Note: Cute Kittens don't solve everything.

But to my point, I probably should have stayed in Agravaine and just punched someone in the face to deal with that matter. I don't regret leaving, seeing where I am now. However, I should have listened to my own advice, punched back, and sank with the ship. THEN have a good reason to leave.

If an academic/research pursuit is something you want to lead instead of follow, do it. And take boxing lessons, because you're going to have to do a lot of punching to get your way. Respectively, of course.

Be Special.

Specialize and focus on a specific subject. Don't try to cover everything. Try to go for something that intrigues you, no matter how uncertain it is. For me, it's magick. That's my thing. For you, it might be underwater basket weaving. Go for it.

And that's that. If you are starting an academic guild or plan to, I hope this helps in some way. I kinda wish I knew all of this before the ride. Hopefully, some of you may put it to good use.

- Shmuck

3/7/2017 9:21:32 AM #1

Great post. I'm sure this could help quite a few aspiring leaders.

Alt text

3/7/2017 9:46:02 AM #2

I'd like to make an additional comment, be open to restructuring. While one individual's ideas may be rather grand, asking for and heading constructive criticism, or ideas. My idea for a civic service order started off as civil engineering. The more that I spoke with people asking me to reaffirm my plans and the logic behind them, the more I came to realize that engineering was too narrow of a scope to be capable of bearing fruit without a number of other organizations to support me.

Considering this, I restructured the organization to have a quantity over quality approach towards making the kingdom better. Rather than focusing on large scale structures, I could invest resources into small scale structures to build up the kingdom's infrastructure and my personal skills. Once I applied this approach to other positions and skills, I realized that a civil service order was what the final vision would be, and since then my membership and support has grown.

Any organization in this game, especially early game, is going to be a collective vision, flexibility is going to be a key factor of any lasting project as members will change, both in quantity and quality.

3/7/2017 10:02:37 AM #3

Well, I have something else in mind when it comes to advice

Wait until you get into the game or at least know the full scope of what the game encompasses so you don't waste your own time.

And how did you learn this the "hard" way when you haven't even lost anything?

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

3/7/2017 10:17:04 AM #4

And just to ask

Why is it that your advice is useless as well?

How would a "contract" with a noble assured your idea? If he up and booted your idea (and you?) how would a meaningless contract deter him? Is it simply word-play and a further waste of time?

" but this does cause an issue for new and existing academic / research groups."

No, it actually doesn't. Because one: your R&D group has no specific goal which therefore means there's no competition between your group and the one next to it. And that at this point every R&D group knows about the same as everyone else around them. It's like adding a grain of sand onto the desert, no variation between that grain of sand (your "academic" group) and the ones next to it

"Specialize and focus on a specific subject."

Well, that's pretty obvious. There are incentives to a Ph.D. degree for a reason. No one wants a one trick pony, unless that trick can only be done by said pony and makes money

Just wondering but are you majoring in finance or micro-economics and do you go to college/university?

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

3/7/2017 10:34:24 AM #5

If i may add a few words.....

Remember that the world is large and settlements, even large ones, are small and far between.

Remember that large re-organisation of the generated world will take time and planning, wishing to build a great centre of learning or trading or whatever, that will attract to it a large number of characters that are not native to the settlement will be a huge task implaying lots of cooperation with local autorities of the settlement and county.

Building a big school in a city or capital will not give students/teachers and other personel a place to live, will not make and work new fields to feed them and so on....

Elyria is a world of logistic, include that in your vision. People can only be members of one school, if the logistic to get to the big shiny school is to hard there will be room for others in other places, do not get afraid of large groups as their size will be as much a strength as a default, history prooved time and again that growing too much tend to get you hunted by the kings and nobles you used to work with, think about the jesuit, the templars to name only those two.

To start a guild or a school you will have to sign an organisation charter with the count, at least one, if your project do not include politics, like an aristocrate or noble , your relation with your hosting count will only be thru the charter, i'd say advertise your project but do not make binding agreements prior to settlement selection.

A count might be totally cool with the idea of hosting the kingdom grand university when he's thinking about his county as a 400+ population area and do not have a problem to see the installation of a 40 +member school in his big 200 pop city, but if domain selection is less favorable and he end up with a 150 pop county he might not be as happy to see one of the two towns of his county be populated by a school, bumping that school straight from a nice asset to a real contender and threat to his title.....