COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
About monsters

I haven't seen this post so i will ask:

Do monsters also age with time?

How do monsters apear in Elyria, do they spawn or reproduce?

If monsters reproduce, can over hunt eliminate them all?

On the contrary, can the little hunting of these produce a monster wave capable of erasing a town or city?

I'll be happy to hear what you guys think about this.

3/6/2017 3:34:30 PM #1

I like that. CoE monsters that spawn in certain settings should need that environment to spawn, and if they're under hunted then they can become a massive threat. Or alternatively, they could be captured and breeded and sold to people so they could get easy experience killing monsters as a business.

The devs can always make world events that cause more monsters to be spawned as necessary but lacking that, it should be the same as the rest of the world with extinction and habitat being real important questions.

3/6/2017 4:02:55 PM #2

The Devs have mentioned in the past that animals (And I'd imagine by extension, monsters) will not spawn or respawn the same way they do in other games. They will have to reproduce like real creatures in order to repopulate, and over hunting CAN cause extinction of creatures if they are not managed properly.

I'd think that if they stick with that idea, there will be cases where creatures do go extinct, and the resources they'd usually give would become rare until they are used up. On the same side of the coin, over population of other creatures may also be a thing, and maybe they could over run a settlement or something.

I suppose we'll find out more as development goes on, but I think the basic premise they talked about in the past is interesting!

3/6/2017 4:15:50 PM #3

It has been mentioned that animals will age and die implying that you will need to keep buying/breeding mounts and pets lifetime after lifetime . While it would be nice to keep the same horse or pet for generations it is not going to happen. With that said, I would assume monsters will age just like the animals. They will be born, age, and die, the circle of life.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

3/7/2017 9:22:59 AM #4

Posted By Sullen at 5:15 PM - Mon Mar 06 2017

It has been mentioned that animals will age and die implying that you will need to keep buying/breeding mounts and pets lifetime after lifetime . While it would be nice to keep the same horse or pet for generations it is not going to happen. With that said, I would assume monsters will age just like the animals. They will be born, age, and die, the circle of life.

Well, there's the Phoenix pet for an exception. But indeed, those who don't find others with the same pet and breed them are going to be disappointed in their next life.

Alt text

3/7/2017 11:50:01 PM #5

I can see the devs having to add a mechanism in to the game to either force span some monsters when their numbers get below a certain level or have them increase in difficulty as there numbers decrease otherwise well eventually end up with a game with no monsters to fight.

3/8/2017 4:06:56 AM #6

Posted By Heatmiser at 5:50 PM - Tue Mar 07 2017

I can see the devs having to add a mechanism in to the game to either force span some monsters when their numbers get below a certain level or have them increase in difficulty as there numbers decrease otherwise well eventually end up with a game with no monsters to fight.

People are the real monsters in CoE...

3/8/2017 8:47:48 AM #7

Posted By Heatmiser at 12:50 AM - Wed Mar 08 2017

Extinction of species is a confirmed game mechanism. If enough people decide a certain animal needs to be exterminated, they can just keep hunting them until there's only a few or none at all left. The devs aren't just going to fix it if we screw up the ecosystem. But I doubt we'll end up with 'no monsters to fight'. If one species goes extinct, others will flourish, which might lead to overpopulation.

Alt text

4/24/2017 5:50:41 PM #8

Never underestimate the need and greed of a gamer.

People will hunt an animal for mats to grind skills or sell for profit. As the supply drops the price will increase and people will go out of their way to find more. If the last living animal will make a fortune it will be killed without a seconds thought.

UDL

4/24/2017 6:40:59 PM #9

For the purpose of this topic we all probably agree that a trison and a canis rabit are animals, not monsters, right? I do recall Caspian saying somewhere that since CoE is a low/mid fantasy setting it features no globlins, ogres, griffins, giants and so on. And that the animals can be hunted untill extinction, dealing with the eco disasters in the game will be just another storyline for the comunity.

As for monsters like vampires, liches, werewolves and so on, i hope that they, if any, they are all "minor boss" or stronger.

I'm particularly curious about what the people of chimera tier will create.

4/28/2017 9:06:19 AM #10

Posted By Selique at 02:02 AM - Tue Mar 07 2017

They will have to reproduce like real creatures in order to repopulate,

Does that mean there will be a virtual discovery channel? If so, I would volunteer to be the David Attenborough of COE.

Jamais Arrière

5/2/2017 7:12:21 AM #11

Posted By Arlie at 05:06 AM - Fri Apr 28 2017

Posted By Selique at 02:02 AM - Tue Mar 07 2017

They will have to reproduce like real creatures in order to repopulate,

Does that mean there will be a virtual discovery channel? If so, I would volunteer to be the David Attenborough of COE.

I saw a guild that was thinking of making a zoo, but idk if that is possible...

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

5/5/2017 9:45:11 AM #12

Hopefully they at least decide to go with subspecies. IF you've seen the Ursaphant it's extremely hairy. With that in mind there could also be a significantly less hairy smaller variant in say the semi-arid or savanna areas. Thereby reducing the chance of total extinction. It also has the side effect of keeping them as resources around, but only more expensive...

5/15/2017 12:55:17 PM #13

Posted By Personman00 at 05:45 AM - Fri May 05 2017

Hopefully they at least decide to go with subspecies. IF you've seen the Ursaphant it's extremely hairy. With that in mind there could also be a significantly less hairy smaller variant in say the semi-arid or savanna areas. Thereby reducing the chance of total extinction. It also has the side effect of keeping them as resources around, but only more expensive...

I'm hoping that the animals in the game will have a somewhat high degree of intelligence to make things a little more interesting when it comes to over hunting.

For example, if Domino Foxes were being over hunted, a group of them may migrate to a different biome, where they can possibly be an invasive species.

And concerning true monsters(daemons,serpentaurs,krakens, etc...), I believe they should age much slower than average creatures, due to them being supernatural in nature. I also think that monster extinction won't be much of a problem,since they may be extremely hard to kill, so the only time you would actually need to kill one, it would be because it's causing a major problem for farmers, merchant, etc..