COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Cross platform compatibility.

I was wondering if anyone has any educated guesses as to the possibility of there being future cross platform functionality. I am not asking what the devs have said, I am more or less just asking if anyone here has development experience that can provide feedback on the process of doing such a thing or whether or not it would even be worth it. IMO the primary community that would be interested in this type of game are PC gamers, but I'm a migrant PS4 gamer just for this game and would love the prospect of being a "founding" PS4 Elyrian.

For further clarification, I am not directly asking "is this a thing" or "will this be a thing" or even "have the devs said anything on this" this is just a general discussion on the topic, not a probing for data question.

“Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe.” -Alfonso X, King of Castile

3/9/2017 1:12:10 AM #1

Well unreal engine 4 can run on Xbox one and PS4.

so it isn't outside the realm of possibility.

but I haven't even seen them say or post even hint at it as something they were considering

but from a technical stand point, yes it is entirely feasible.

3/9/2017 6:24:27 AM #2

Caspian hasn't expressed any interest in cross platforming as of yet, but it's possible it could happen if the game is successful once it's been released, but I wouldn't hold my breath that it'll happen before 2020...

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

5/26/2017 12:46:01 PM #3

I myself am not a PC gamer. Seeing this game released on PS4 would no doubt be a dream come true.

5/26/2017 12:52:41 PM #4

I would think that porting it to Xbox would be easy. Especially if they make it compatible with the project scorpio release and higher. Project scorpio is just a Windows desktop skinned with an interface that works with a controller. And it should support a keyboard and mouse just fine if they want to require those.

5/26/2017 1:14:22 PM #5

I would rather they get the game out first before considering cross platforming. I remember when FFXIV screwed itself over trying to do cross platforming before the game was even really in a truly playable state and had to re-release.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/26/2017 2:17:01 PM #6

totally my guess but I doubt it

probably due to the average age of users of the different type's of platforms

of course there are adults who play console and teens who play PC, but I imagine that SBS is shooting for the PC crowd with this game

obviously though if they want a ten year game then grabbing some console market-share wouldn't be a bad idea because people do tend to get older as time goes by :)

5/26/2017 2:31:27 PM #7

And Scorpio seems to be trying to walk that line between pc and console, which is what makes me think it would be an easy addition. Maybe Microsoft even puts up some cash to make it an exclusive to the Scorpio system to try and push sales there instead of to the PS4 pro.

5/26/2017 2:52:21 PM #8

I can see why that feature may be desireable, but I'd rather have an up-to-date PC than a PS4 to play the game at release.

@Eurickdm You're right about the OS support, but also if funds will be sufficient, they want to include as many stretch goals as they can as they are features the devs like, too.

5/26/2017 4:13:27 PM #9

Wasn't suport for diferent operational systems a unreached stretchgoal? I doubt that the game will be cross platform.

5/26/2017 5:58:14 PM #10

Never cared for console.

Backer #733 "What do we tell the God of Death? not today... not today!"

5/26/2017 6:42:56 PM #11

Caspian has said that part of the reason for choosing Unreal was so that they could gain platform improvements as they are provided by Epic.

In general, that could mean providing Soulbound with additional export targets, etc - but that doesn't necessarily mean that all the code is portable. For example, while Unreal itself has decided to go down the Vulkan road for performance and cross-platform compatibility, if someone is depending on DX12 apis - those are going to be less portable.

5/26/2017 9:06:04 PM #12

I'd hanker a guess they are thinking about cross platform while writing this game. It's using SpatialOS which is a pretty neat back server platform and also what enables a small studio like this to make a game that can scale to 100's of k of concurrent users all without having to worry about hosting the game themselves and investing in their own hardware and data centre costs.

SpatialOS is designed to support cross platform and even different clients. Think of flying a plane on Xbox while your mate the other side of the world is your bomber using a top down view on an iPad.

This is what SpatialOS allows, all in a massive, persistent online world. Exciting times lie ahead.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/27/2017 4:00:42 AM #13

The stretch goals were to platform to Linux and Mac, so they are at least interested in that respect.

As for consoles, the studio would need permission from Sony/Microsoft in order to be allowed to use their platform, which I find hard to be done (unless they continue to push back release).

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

6/3/2017 5:44:40 PM #14

Hi Guys, It is stated that i am an Android user and looking forward for any good MMORPG.I want to know that will Chronicles of Elyria be compatible with Android? I would be thankful for answer.

6/4/2017 12:56:50 AM #15

Posted By Moeex at 10:44 AM - Sat Jun 03 2017

Hi Guys, It is stated that i am an Android user and looking forward for any good MMORPG.I want to know that will Chronicles of Elyria be compatible with Android? I would be thankful for answer.

No because Android doesn't even begin to support the hardware needed to run the game, neither does the iPad...

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.