COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Can we help create lore?

We know this game is going to epic, if not we wouldn't be chatting about it in the forums, however, being as this is a brand new game and a brand new universe where does the lore come from? One group of people creating off the influence of other universes? I wondered if we could add lore, but to some degree not loads. It would be great to add ancient tales or even laws of different towns and cities.

I for one have some cool ideas and I'm sure plenty do as well. Comment some interesting aspects that could be added into the game, perhaps the devs will see it and like some ideas!

3/11/2017 4:25:20 PM #1

Everything that happens within the pre-alpha experiences is part of the history and lore upon launch. You are playing your ancestors.

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.

3/11/2017 4:27:29 PM #2

In essence, we will be creating the majority of the game's lore during pre-alpha, exposition, and finally launch.

All of our actions across those things will result in changes to the world, and add to the history and past of everything.

3/11/2017 4:39:23 PM #3

The history and lore behind kingdoms, families, and heroes of the past are all created by the players during the KoE and MUD period. As for things like religions, you can make your own but it classifies as a cult, not a recognized religion.

3/12/2017 7:01:12 PM #4

Okay, okay, okay. I seem to half understand what everyone means. I understand that we make the story in pre-alpha but how? How do you make history, what do you need to do in pre-alpha to do that?

3/12/2017 7:19:37 PM #5

Posted By Robz2000 at 2:01 PM - Sun Mar 12 2017

Okay, okay, okay. I seem to half understand what everyone means. I understand that we make the story in pre-alpha but how? How do you make history, what do you need to do in pre-alpha to do that?

The alpha, beta, and expo experiences will be set in the past. So the city building, alliances, ect will effect the future that the game will release in. (I'm drawing a blank and to lazy to go searching, but I want to say expo is set 50 or 60 in game years before the date at which the game will actually release at)

Example, Let's just say the boars in your local region tend to be 3 foot long, 3 foot tall, 2 ft wide, and weigh about 200 pounds.

Due to a drought your town was not able to grow enough crops and there is a famine going on. This town is far out in the boonies, so the free food (err "relief food") from the count is few and far between.

Some PC character will call John Smith; goes and kills a large boar. Say 3.5 foot long, 3.5 foot tall, 2.25 ft wide, and 300 lbs of muscle. Big for the local region, but not a monster by any means.

saves the town for another day or two from starvation.

Fast forward 60 years of in game time to when the game releases. And the tale of John Smith and his boar has been told and retold so many times, and embellished that he is now a legend.

When the game releases, you go to the local tavern, and hear the tale of john smith. Only now, the boar was 10 feet long, 8 feet tall, 5 feet wide, weighed half a tonne, and had tusks as long as John's arm.

and instead of killing it with bow and arrow, now he wrestled it to the ground and strangled it with his bear sized hands.

and there, that is one possible way that players will create lore.

Also you will build and grow the skills of these characters, which will then effect how the town grows\changes over that 60 yr period.

So a pc focuses all of expo on prospecting, lives in a small hamlet, and finds a good source of iron. And starts a mine there.

Fast forward 60 yrs, and that hamlet has become a boom town, and the mine has expanded greatly,

ect ect

3/12/2017 7:29:58 PM #6

The pre-release stuff is great for setting up the recent history that leads to our situation at launch. But there has to be a lot more to it than that if it will be a rich and interesting world. I've seen that there's a creation story, but little to nothing of the world as we know it. Will be interesting to see what we get with tribes info, or it it will be exclusively down to players to fill the void.

3/13/2017 4:51:26 AM #7

Im always going to be up for making some lore I think the lore is something that actually benefits from speculation, like how caspian has been trying to say about people acting on "what they believe rather than what they know". If we know the answers and we have figured everything out there isnt really a story anymore. By making story we make the game more interesting for the other players that come into game,

3/13/2017 4:57:53 AM #8

The "mythos" of the game is something that Caspian has created. I believe it was once mentioned he has around 20 notebooks of legends and stories for Elyria.

We can create family lore and as mentioned before the pre-Alpha experience will help with that.

For me, I am waiting with bated breath to be able to read some of the lore Caspian has created.

3/13/2017 5:22:00 AM #9

I think it will be up to us testing the truth rather than waiting for it to be told to us.

3/13/2017 5:23:56 AM #10

When we actually play the game we will be creating the lore.

5/11/2017 4:17:22 PM #11

If you have stories that you want to post, you can always add them to the Fan Fiction portion of the forums. I know devs read some of them but don't know if they use any of them for anything.

If nothing else, someone else might see your story and be inspired to write their own.

Hope it helps...

5/11/2017 5:56:29 PM #12

Okay, the elyriaMUD will be part of creating the ancient history, the app (for those with certain paid off packages when its released, and not sure of tge lowest tier package, sorry) will help setup more recent history, though it will be more for land ownership stuff in the pregame. Alpha/Beta will have some lore building in it, but I think that will be more for those with dev building parts in their packages. And of course expo will be the last few decades before day 0 (launch day), but that will be more player based lore than server game based I think (ie the story behind the town built next to the base of the tallest mountain on the continent will be different on the NA-E server than it will on the NA-W server because two different grous of players settled in that town on each server.

Count Ruthgar Rugharin, County of Bragen Veld, Duchy - Conclave of Aritaur, Kingdom of Vornair.