COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Fountain of Youth

The idea may have been suggested before, but I was thinking how it would be cool if there were some sort of "fountain of youth" mechanic ingame.

The premise is that as your character ages, there could be a rare and difficult way to actually make your character younger and restore some of those lost years and delay permadeath and reincarnation.

This could take one (or more) of many different forms off the top of my head.

A literal fountain of youth, discoverable in the world but very hard to find and guarded by a "big baddie". This could be very cool because if discovered it would be coveted and fought over endlessly. It could add a lot to the story if it became a strategic fixture.

It could be a potion which restores a few years of life, but with very rare ingredients and a formula that would be difficult to crack.

A rare relic or magical object.

A different plane of existence accessible by those born with the talent of planeswalking, but it would be a plane that was difficult to find and dangerous to stay in for long.

This concept could also come with drawbacks. You could restore some years of your life, but at the cost of your soul no longer being transferrable to an heir. Or maybe a lesser cost of it weakening the bonuses your soul would pass on. Maybe your attributes are diminished or capped, and the cap gets lower each time you use the fountain function.

What other ideas do you have for this concept, or do you hate it so much you need to curse me out? Let me know!

3/13/2017 6:21:26 PM #1

Bathing in the blood of a hundred innocents. It also does wonders for your complexion.

3/13/2017 6:33:33 PM #2

Such abominations to the laws of life and death set by Sanguinis deserve to be destroyed or buried forever.

3/13/2017 6:38:46 PM #3

Posted By Vucar at 2:33 PM - Mon Mar 13 2017

Such abominations to the laws of life and death set by Sanguinis deserve to be destroyed or buried forever.

Wasn't really looking for a RP response but hey, you just gave an example of it adding to the story.

3/13/2017 6:43:51 PM #4

Too much work, just research on dermatology and inject yourself on collagen

viola you're a beauty queen

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

3/13/2017 6:44:53 PM #5

Posted By Vucar at 11:33 AM - Mon Mar 13 2017

this is not the place to roleplay or to do floor play

3/13/2017 6:52:58 PM #6

Posted By Dredcor at 2:21 PM - Mon Mar 13 2017

Bathing in the blood of a hundred innocents. It also does wonders for your complexion.

They could make you pull a Captain Blackbeard and you have to drain the lifeforce of your own heir (Pirates of the Caribbean 4). Or you have to gather the blood of 100 victims like you're saying lol. Would definitely put the challenge into it.

3/13/2017 7:02:43 PM #7

I am totally against any relic that grants immediate ever lasting life. I believe that something like that needs to be granted to a Lich or the light version, perhaps a Arch Angel that has worked for that goal over several lifetimes. With that said, I Am for a relic that 'slows' the aging process, say by half however if the item is lost or is destroyed life passes as twice the rate if not faster. Anything that spans multiple lifetimes is out for me unless it is the extreme version of the character (example Lich). So if you want to slow aging down by half and have it double your life span I am ok with but anything longer than that doesn't seem it is beneficial to the devs or their business model.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

3/13/2017 7:08:34 PM #8

Posted By Sullen at 3:02 PM - Mon Mar 13 2017

I am totally against any relic that grants immediate ever lasting life. I believe that something like that needs to be granted to a Lich or the light version, perhaps a Arch Angel that has worked for that goal over several lifetimes. With that said, I Am for a relic that 'slows' the aging process, say by half however if the item is lost or is destroyed life passes as twice the rate if not faster. Anything that spans multiple lifetimes is out for me unless it is the extreme version of the character (example Lich). So if you want to slow aging down by half and have it double your life span I am ok with but anything longer than that doesn't seem it is beneficial to the devs or their business model.

Very true, and I think that a system like this has to be very limited because of the business model. It would have to add value to the game in a non-monetary sense like they discuss with awarding story points and such.

I definitely do not support any items or locations that offer immediate eternal life, so much as a mechanic where using a relic adds ten years to your life and then it is consumed, or make the mechanic come with a punishment that escalates with each use. So you could become 10 years younger, but suffer a penalty. Then you could use it again and gain another ten years, but suffer a greater penalty. Same thing with a fountain mechanic, you go into the fountain and lose half of your years...but doing so again requires a high price.

No youth mechanic should be an eternal life mechanic unless you manage to hold onto it and are willing to keep paying some hefty penalty.

4/4/2017 2:11:07 AM #9

I support this!

It would be interesting if this "immortality" was like a curse. Not in the game sense, but a curse to us as players.

For example, in order to gain more years, or youth, etc., we have to play more/do something nearly impossible in game, or the effects will wear off.

Like we can only keep these perks if we clock so many hours per day. Or we have to travel to the opposite end of the map, or locate another extremely rare mineral, or relic. Or we have to find Waldo, or something. And if we don't accomplish this mission by the time the promised "immortal game-years" have worn off, we'll immediately die.

I also like the idea of immortality only being available to magic users, otherwise I'm sure many people will sacrifice their real time to acquire this idea of immortality

Astronomer. Sailor. Desert Admirer. And the only Waerd supporter in CoE?

4/4/2017 7:43:58 AM #10

Dorian Gray?...

4/4/2017 8:55:08 AM #11

I think this is a great idea. Make it tough to find, impossible to move, dangerous to reach (as in on a precarious mountain top/in a jagged island in rough seas), and make its location as tactically indefencible as possible so that it's tough for a kingdom to hold it without throwing lots of resources at it.

4/4/2017 10:49:15 AM #12

Something interesting to consider is that in this game we have two ways of measuring lifespan - age, and spirit. Something that decreases your age, so that you could continue fighting and adventuring with the bonuses of youth could do so at the cost of some of your spirit.

Shieldwall Strong!

4/4/2017 11:33:23 AM #13

Maybe if you kill and canibalize other PCs you could extend your life like that.

But ofc, then you would get in trouble with a law, and if cought you would lose what you gained.

4/5/2017 6:46:11 AM #14

That sounds interesting and I like a lot of the ideas on this board. It reminds me a little of that one movie 'Tangled' where it could be obtained from another or from a special rarely spawning ingredient, or with a twist like what the other person above said, cannibalism. Which would be dangerous to do but 'worth it' depending on your values.

Live Life To The Mediocre.

4/17/2017 10:21:01 AM #15

I'm with Sullen and Adriac1993, I support this if it's a one off find this relic an take 20 years off your appearance and actual age.

This will give those adventurers something to aim for in later life to extend their outdoor days. Also gives the opportunity to further your skills more than would be possible in a normal lifetime.

I'd support multiple ways (a single PC can only do one) to stave off 5-20 years through different quests suited to different play styles.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.