COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The Five Kingdom Limit

Mistakes have been made. Sorry.

3/17/2017 4:37:11 PM #1

it's now 6 kingdoms per starting continent per this comment:

from Caspian's DJ #19 dated Feb 23rd 2017

personally i think that your advice telling people to disregard limits put in by the devs is reckless, especially given the sums of money involved

your original OP, now amended, clearly suggested that:

3/17/2017 4:43:45 PM #2

Posted By Dleatherus at 10:37 AM - Fri Mar 17 2017

personally i think that your advice telling people to disregard limits put in by the devs is reckless, especially given the sums of money involved

Quite the opposite, being reckless would be making another post saying "death to layaway, this server is full". People are using the limit as a way to pick on people, forcing them to either pay up or pull out. Not to mention the possibility of a kingdom being driven to a less populated server with unplayable ping because they have nowhere else to go.

3/17/2017 4:52:05 PM #3

they have always made that clear

this image:

is from Forging a Legacy dated dec 15 2016

am curious what you suggest as an alternative if there end up being 27 paid off kings and only 24 king slots available since i presume you won't be the one reimbursing folks who might pay off their layaway and not end up with a kingdom?

I stand by my earlier statement that you telling people to ignore limits set in place by the devs is reckless given the sums of money involved

3/17/2017 4:54:06 PM #4

I don't have much to add because I have no intention of pledging as a king however that said...

SBS has mentioned that if certain tiers are full on a server you will NOT be able to claim your tier on that server. You will need to move to another one or they would work with you in some other way.

I have never seen anything to lead me to believe they would up their limits.

Edit: said much better above. Even with purdy pictures. So carry on!

3/17/2017 4:59:00 PM #5

Posted By Yorick at 09:43 AM - Fri Mar 17 2017

Posted By Dleatherus at 10:37 AM - Fri Mar 17 2017

Quite the opposite, being reckless would be making another post saying "death to layaway, this server is full". People are using the limit as a way to pick on people, forcing them to either pay up or pull out. Not to mention the possibility of a kingdom being driven to a less populated server with unplayable ping because they have nowhere else to go.

I am in agreement with Dleatherus -- disregarding limits on something that has the price tag of a decent used car is rather irresponsible.

edit: removed a portion of this post since the initial post was edited (making part of this post irrelevant.)

3/17/2017 5:06:25 PM #6

Posted By Dleatherus at 10:52 AM - Fri Mar 17 2017

this image:

am curious what you suggest as an alternative if there end up being 27 paid off kings and only 24 king slots available since i presume you won't be the one reimbursing folks who might pay off their layaway and not end up with a kingdom?

This post was made at a time when there were substantially less kings, and they didn't anticipate many more coming out of the woodwork. They could handle missing out on a couple kings, but now they're losing at least one per server, and won't see any more.

3/17/2017 5:15:18 PM #7

Posted By Yorick at 12:06 PM - Fri Mar 17 2017

this image:

This post was made at a time when there were substantially less kings, and they didn't anticipate many more coming out of the woodwork. They could handle missing out on a couple kings, but now they're losing at least one per server, and won't see any more.

Your assuming those people wont just buy a dukedom and a bunch of ep, or more than one duchy.

your assuming they will choose not to donate because they can't be king.

while sure some might take that approach,

I would think most that are willing to drop 10K on the game are so interested that they will just spend the 10K in other ways. either by buying multitple dukedoms or a metric shit ton of EP (5K=62,500 ep).

3/17/2017 5:21:31 PM #8

Posted By Blankwindow at 11:15 AM - Fri Mar 17 2017

this image:

Your assuming those people wont just buy a dukedom and a bunch of ep, or more than one duchy.

I would think most that are willing to drop 10K on the game are so interested that they will just spend the 10K in other ways. either by buying multitple dukedoms or a metric shit ton of EP (5K=62,500 ep).

I added a list to the OP of all the kings. None of them want to be dukes with a lot of EP, but if this limit is enforced on them, one has no choice but to.

3/17/2017 5:25:08 PM #9

Posted By Yorick at 12:21 PM - Fri Mar 17 2017

this image:

I added a list to the OP of all the kings. None of them want to be dukes with a lot of EP, but if this limit is enforced on them, one has no choice but to.

Just because they didn't want it, doesn't mean they wont settle for it.

your assuming these people willing to drop 10K on a game are all or nothing people.

Sure some might be, but I imagine most want this game to succeed badly enough that they will settle.

and if they've paid that much, they have access to the private dev forums and can communicate their thoughts on the topic directly with the devs.

3/17/2017 5:27:33 PM #10

Posted By Blankwindow at 11:25 AM - Fri Mar 17 2017

Posted By Yorick at 12:21 PM - Fri Mar 17 2017

this image:

Just because they didn't want it, doesn't mean they wont settle for it.

your assuming these people willing to drop 10K on a game are all or nothing people.

Sure some might be, but I imagine most want this game to succeed badly enough that they will settle.

and if they've paid that much, they have access to the private dev forums and can communicate their thoughts on the topic directly with the devs.

I can't think of a single person who'd be happy giving up the advertised dominion over a vast land in exchange for subservience to someone else.

3/17/2017 5:30:49 PM #11

The thing is, there must be a limit drawn somewhere. The starting landmass is a fixed size. If we don't want kingdoms that are smaller than X people or acres then the map size determines how many kingdoms there can be.

3/17/2017 5:31:08 PM #12

Posted By Yorick at 10:06 AM - Fri Mar 17 2017

mmm - i took it that the post was made 3 months ago when there were less kings in anticipation of exactly this moment in time

that there is an issue i fully agree with

i just don't believe saying 'hey everybody, ignore what the devs are saying and spend $10,000 regardless because i think they are wrong' is the way to go about it

problems i see:

if we say end up with say 9 kings on NA-E then what happens? - does each king end up with substantially less land than kings on other servers? (which trickles down meaning each duchy is considerable smaller, each county is considerably smaller meaning it can't support as many characters which in turns mean even trying to build a couple of towns within a county might be difficult, let alone a city etc - aren't you in effect punishing ALL of those players to accommodate a couple of individuals to whom the situation was made explicitly clear MONTHS ago?

do you open up another NA-E server to accommodate 3 individuals, and ignore the fact that you would then need to have another 100,000 players to populate that server (something they have said they would consider if the general population of players justified it)

do you open up another starting continent on NA-E with 6 kingdoms on each, which in essence means finding more players to populate each starting continent as per the scenario above

3/17/2017 5:33:12 PM #13

Just stop OP.

3/17/2017 5:35:38 PM #14

Posted By Dleatherus at 11:31 AM - Fri Mar 17 2017

Posted By Yorick at 10:06 AM - Fri Mar 17 2017

mmm - i took it that the post was made 3 months ago when there were less kings in anticipation of exactly this moment in time

that there is an issue i fully agree with

i just don't believe saying 'hey everybody, ignore what the devs are saying and spend $10,000 regardless because i think they are wrong' isn't the way to go about it

problems i see:

if we say end up with say 9 kings on NA-E then what happens? - does each king end up with substantially less land than kings on other servers?

do you open up another NA-E server to accommodate 3 individuals, and ignore the fact that you would then need to have another 100,000 players to populate that server (something they have said they would consider if the general population of players justified it)

do you open up another starting continent on NA-E with 6 kingdoms on each, which in essence means finding more players to populate each starting continent as per the scenario above

The devs have already said that the NA servers will be physically larger than the APAC one, meaning they either expand the server to accommodate for more, or open up an NA-Central to lighten the load on the other two. Both options seem more cost effective than turning down a hypothetical $30,000 from this scenario.

3/17/2017 5:40:41 PM #15

The more Kingdoms there are on a server, the smaller the number of dutchies and counties will be available per kingdom, or if the same numbers are kept those dutchies and counties will end up being massively smaller, so much smaller that most of the counties wont have any towns in them because it would be impossible to have more towns for all the extra counties there would be because the server population itself will have a limit. The number limits are important to bring balance to a server. You cannot just have as many Kingdoms as you want without compromising the number of dutchies and counties available to each Kingdom and this would bring a massive problem when come exposition time hundreds of people are all trying to join the kingdom they want because it'd turn out there wasn't enough spaces per Kingdom.