COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Disruption of the Community forums

Recently I have seen several conversations and threads that are a result of discord drama and personal feelings about other players. I am not sure if this is bothering anyone else in the community, but I know I am getting a little tired of seeing it every time I login. In my opinion, it makes our community as a whole appear to be very dramatic and unfriendly to newcomers.

I am asking as a personal favor, for it to please stop. If you feel the need to discuss your opinions, can it not be kept to your individual discord channels and communities? Because not all of us are interested in the drama and frankly it -is- very damaging to the community as a whole. This is not the place to wash your dirty laundry.

Thanks in Advance, Mystichaze.

3/23/2017 7:25:04 PM #46

Posted By Primus Dedumo at 1:14 PM - Thu Mar 23 2017

yeah, they have not met the eve community :p The truth is there are alot of people out there thinking that they will be able to live a nice quite life, yet have not realized that CoE has no safe zones. The idea that people have for the game and what it will be are so vastly different. Eve is a great model to a degree for CoE.

Interesting opinion. How do you know this. Without ever having seen or played the game or have seen how the kingdom structure and laws will carried out you lay down a blanket assumption that this game will end up being a lawless cut throat everyone for themselves MMO? As of right now no one can say with any certainty how the game will actually play out.

3/23/2017 7:32:50 PM #47

Posted By Primus Dedumo at 2:14 PM - Thu Mar 23 2017

yeah, they have not met the eve community :p The truth is there are alot of people out there thinking that they will be able to live a nice quite life, yet have not realized that CoE has no safe zones. The idea that people have for the game and what it will be are so vastly different. Eve is a great model to a degree for CoE.

And Muhrder nice to see a fellow goon on here :p

That is what happens when you play themepark MMOs and you forget that the sandbox doesn't cuddle your poor sensibilities anymore.

Sure folks will have a quiet life in certain times. But sandboxes are chock full of drama and salt and emotion. It's what invests folks into the games. They just don't get it.

They dunno hell until you're locked in a mumble channel with Xenuria and he's talking about god damn fucking shoes for 4 hours.

They'll learn. The hardway. It'll be fun.

And amen brotha. I think CoE would be a lovely place for EVE players to come. If Caspian and Co. delivers. This is a wonderful glorious box full of sand for us to romp in.

3/23/2017 7:33:32 PM #48

Posted By Hellglaser at 2:17 PM - Thu Mar 23 2017

i like turtles

I too like turtles.

3/23/2017 9:02:31 PM #49

Posted By Oxener at 12:21 PM - Thu Mar 23 2017

It is funny and true, there is no safe zone, there is no safety net in this game. if you want to live and keep what you have then you need to realize that the only way you are going to do that is to A. be an asshole yourself or B. have a large group to do it for you. and I am sorry OP it has already started, the people who are thinking about their groups are already building, welcome to day 1 of Forum PVP.

There actually are safety nets already confirmed. For example if you sit on top of my body and kill me over and over I will not continue to lose spirit. This is the very definition of a safety net.

I think the comparison between Eve and CoE is pretty flimsy. And I think players expecting that type of free reign are going to be severely disappointed. Not saying Goons won't cause headaches, but I doubt they'll get the power that they have in Eve. We'll see, but the devs actually want to eliminate griefing. Unlike CCP games.

Merchants Beware of Ashy Sails..

3/23/2017 9:36:35 PM #50

Seriously? Apparently, this is a losing battle because some have no idea how to have respect for others. Their sole purpose it to be as much of a dick as they can as they hide behind their monitor screens.

Unlike others, I am not going to sit here and debate what the game is going to be like, cause it not even playable yet. However, I am most certain there are many misconceptions in this thread about the game as well as the Dance.

On top of that this thread had absolutely nothing to do with the actual game, it had to do with having consideration for the rest of the community, sorry if that was too much to ask. I assumed I was dealing with a higher level of maturity. Wrong!

Well, folks, I am no longer in grade school, I won't play your games, and I can't be bullied. So with that, I am going to ask that this thread is locked because it is having the opposite effect of what I was hoping it would.

Have a good day.

3/24/2017 1:32:30 AM #51

This OP is something else. Literally whining about controversy on the forums and thinks that the solution is to create a whine thread.

"Well, folks, I am no longer in grade school"

Could have fooled me with your understanding of reality and the internet. Here is a thought grow some skin, don't read the threads that would trigger you, and move on.

3/24/2017 3:00:10 AM #52

Mystic haze, I love you, but you don't need to worry about this.

3/24/2017 3:15:14 AM #53

Posted By Vucar at 8:00 PM - Thu Mar 23 2017

Mystic haze, I love you, but you don't need to worry about this.

(Hugs) Thanks hun, I am not worried. I tried, I failed.. It's all good. As long as they are picking on me they are leaving someone else alone. heh

3/24/2017 4:29:25 AM #54

Hey Folks,

I wanted to address this thread as it reflects a new design journal I've been working on for a while titled, "The role we play in Role-Play."

Rather than spoil the details of my design journal, for now let me respond to Mystic and several of the other replies.

Posted By mystichaze at 11:10 AM - Wed Mar 22 2017

Recently I have seen several conversations and threads that are a result of discord drama and personal feelings about other players.

I think this is an important and valid observation. It's important to note because, while Discord is often played by people "in-character", the forums are currently "out-of-character", which can be ascertained by recognizing that what you see are players' user names, not character names. This is an important distinction as we move forward in the Dance.

Posted By mystichaze at 11:10 AM - Wed Mar 22 2017

I am asking as a personal favor, for it to please stop. If you feel the need to discuss your opinions, can it not be kept to your individual discord channels and communities?

The forums are a valid place to discuss peoples' opinions. However, do be mindful of the code of conduct.

Posted By mystichaze at 11:17 AM - Wed Mar 22 2017

Hehe.. One needs to be able to separate the game from real life interactions don't you think? My sig, of course, is meant for gameplay.

Yes. Absolutely. We're creating a game that is inherently, intentionally contentious. We are introducing inequalities and broaching difficult subjects like social classes, racism, and religious differences. These are being introduced into the game world as they are a source of conflict and do create dramatic situations.

However, the players need to be able to differentiate between what is "in-character" and what isn't. Stuff that is "in-character" shouldn't be taken "out-of-character" in a hostile manner. If something happened IC you're uncomfortable with, it's ok to discuss it. But we cannot interpret in-character stuff as a personal attack and then take that to the forums.

Posted By Yorick at 11:19 AM - Wed Mar 22 2017

What you don't realize however, is the game has already started. People are already forming their groups and relations to each other. The dance has begun whether you like it or not.

She wasn't discussing the Dance. She was discussing the personal attacks that are becoming more prevalent on the forums. The Dance isn't an excuse for making OOC digs at people, not violating the CoC.

Posted By mystichaze at 11:24 AM - Wed Mar 22 2017

I might decide to attack another County in-game, but that doesn't nessassarly mean I don't like the player out of game. It is a lot more fun in fact if you do get along with your rivals

She gets it. We're all here to have fun. For players to get the most out of the game, and the forums, they'll need to learn to Dance the Dance, and then step OOC to shake hands and have a laugh.

Posted By Alabast at 11:30 AM - Wed Mar 22 2017

This is what the Dance looks like; shitposting and propaganda wars.

This is what you signed up for when you pledged nobility. You might not of been aware of that fact, but this is the reality.

Actually, it isn't. Once we get the in-character portions of the forums set up, players will see a clear distinction between character and player conversations. Our goal is for the community forum to remain a place where players come together to help one another, share information and ideas, and discuss in-game events on behalf of their characters.

Put differently, if the players want to come on the forums and discuss the events happening in the Kingdom of Kairos, great! But players should be able to discuss events far more impartially than their characters might.

Posted By CheshireVee at 11:34 AM - Wed Mar 22 2017

What I don't care for is some of the drama of people feeling entitled to make demands of the devs or people bringing up personal drama that has nothing to do with the dance of dynasties.

What Cheshire said.

Posted By mystichaze at 10:52 PM - Wed Mar 22 2017

I find it a bit sad that we would need more moderators. There was a time when that wasn't the case. :(

We are significantly larger than we were when you joined the community - so we do need a few more. I also find it sad that people rarely show respect to the people who've been in the community longer than them or have a prettier border. This should mean something to people.

Posted By Gunnlang at 11:27 PM - Wed Mar 22 2017

When people can troll and do borderline personal insults for months on end. I be surprised if SBS really cares about what is going on now or will in the future.

Surprise! We care. A lot. But we can't be here all the time while also developing the game. It's just not sustainable. That said, we also try not to have a heavy hand with moderation because we're ultimately trying to groom a community that knows how to self-moderate.

But things appear to be getting a bit out of hand lately. We'll be a bit more proactive for a while so folks know what our expectations are.

Posted By Primus Dedumo at 12:14 PM - Thu Mar 23 2017

yeah, they have not met the eve community :p The truth is there are alot of people out there thinking that they will be able to live a nice quite life, yet have not realized that CoE has no safe zones.

I think a lot of people assume that CoE is ultimately lawless like most other MMOs when in fact it isn't. CoE is much more like our own world. You can commit crimes, but it's both socially and legally unacceptable. Those who plan to come into CoE and "rape, murder, and pillage" may find they create a good story for a while, but ultimately the game is slanted against them. It's fun and lucrative if you can be successful in that life - but most players can't.

Posted By Dazzle Sewbright at 6:32 PM - Thu Mar 23 2017

This OP is something else. Literally whining about controversy on the forums and thinks that the solution is to create a whine thread... Could have fooled me with your understanding of reality and the internet. Here is a thought grow some skin...

Actually, the OP isn't whining about controversy, she's pointing out that the forums lately appear to have degenerated into negativity and personal attacks... like, uh, insulting someone's understanding of reality or the internet... or uh, telling them to grow some skin when they make a valid observation that personal attacks are actually not beneficial to the community's overall health and morale.

So let me offer an alternative. Stop regurgitating what other people say on other community websites. Telling people to grow thicker skin isn't beneficial, and saying "OMG this OP" doesn't make you part of the in-crowd - or maybe it does, but often the in-crowd is wrong, and I'm more than happy to bring down the rod on folks who need it.

We as a community have a choice. We can continue to encourage the spirit of our Code of Conduct, so that we can all take collective comfort in our characters' conflicts (alliteration included), or we can devolve into haters and spew vitriol and contempt across the forums. The choice is yours (Actually it's ours).

3/24/2017 5:55:31 AM #55

Incredibly well said Caspian. I was hoping for a close to the thread to stop this but responding with this much thought on the situation is admirable and more than I expected.

I kind of wish I had said a piece on this earlier instead of hiding behind Caspian's words but there is a definite difference between disagreeing with someone's actions and simply attacking them.

People should be free to express their dissatisfaction with the actions of other players and work against those players. Being able to attack a player isn't something that should be needed.

3/24/2017 6:24:14 AM #56

@Caspian Aww Mystic is gonna be so happy. Thanks as always Caspian.

Merchants Beware of Ashy Sails..