COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Quality community

Do guilds care more about the game being fun or their guild being successful in the game? I feel like are a few guilds that have the same goals regardless of MMO, personally i would think you wouldn't want to bring your baggage from some of the othee MMOs. This isnt really a complaint just a fyi some ideas are self destructive to your own enjoyment.
Community is half of what makes the game worth playing, im sure most people can think of examples where community ruined a game.

3/23/2017 3:55:24 AM #1

I feel like people are approaching guilds and governments too much like they're generic MMO guilds.

For example, I saw one county that said it's a requirement to be in Discord at all times in-game. Seriously? it's a government holding, not some competitive gamer clan.

I guess it works for guilds to have varying goals so that they might be more similar to clubs, but at least understand that a title is actually a job, and what you do with that job has a pretty major impact on the game.

3/23/2017 3:58:47 AM #2

Trust me there are some guilds out there like that. However, there are plenty of guilds, groups, organizations and kingdoms that are just people trying to work together. I am actually rebooting my group after a long break. The good groups are really the ones who can work together for a long period of time. I am even adding more admin to help keep the group active for all players. I used to even do lore contests. Maybe I should bring that back! Welcome to COE!

3/23/2017 4:03:42 AM #3

Posted By Scheneighnay at 9:55 PM - Wed Mar 22 2017

I feel like people are approaching guilds and governments too much like they're generic MMO guilds.

For example, I saw one county that said it's a requirement to be in Discord at all times in-game. Seriously? it's a government holding, not some competitive gamer clan.

I guess it works for guilds to have varying goals so that they might be more similar to clubs, but at least understand that a title is actually a job, and what you do with that job has a pretty major impact on the game.

You must be new here. The discord is where groups go to communicate. Government or not, without communication you'll end up nowhere. Judging by your confusion I would assume you didn't even know discord was a thing until very recently and even still have been too afraid to use it.

3/23/2017 4:09:15 AM #4

Posted By Yorick at 11:03 PM - Wed Mar 22 2017

Posted By Scheneighnay at 9:55 PM - Wed Mar 22 2017

You must be new here. The discord is where groups go to communicate. Government or not, without communication you'll end up nowhere. Judging by your confusion I would assume you didn't even know discord was a thing until very recently and even still have been too afraid to use it.

Discord is heavily overused, especially right now when there's no reason to use anything other than the forums to begin with.

Even if you wanted to plan something in private, nothing you would discuss would be of any meaning because you don't even know how things will actually work in-game yet.

Then there's the people who use it to replace the in-game chat when there's no real reason to.

I guess eventually it'll make sense if you want to cheat the in-game system.

3/23/2017 4:16:19 AM #5

Well some people just want to play with friends they dont want to involve themselves with the entirekingdoms affairs. People putting additional rules than the normal mechanics on new players is exactly the kind of thing that has negative impact on the game. I dont want to join someone because they say "join me or else" i want to join someone because they are doing something interesting or ive got to know them personally and want to stay in the loop. If you make the community into a club where new ways of playing arent accepted the games culture just becomes stagnant and stale. Yes discord is nice but wether i use it or not, forcing me to use it does not generate respect.

3/23/2017 4:29:11 AM #6

Posted By Reikan at 11:16 PM - Wed Mar 22 2017

Well some people just want to play with friends they dont want to involve themselves with the entirekingdoms affairs. People putting additional rules than the normal mechanics on new players is exactly the kind of thing that has negative impact on the game. I dont want to join someone because they say "join me or else" i want to join someone because they are doing something interesting or ive got to know them personally and want to stay in the loop. If you make the community into a club where new ways of playing arent accepted the games culture just becomes stagnant and stale. Yes discord is nice but wether i use it or not, forcing me to use it does not generate respect.

Exactly.

That's another good point you brought up: if you want CoE to be just another game that your group of friends migrates through, that's fine.

Make a guild. Don't treat the government like it's your guild. The government affects a lot more than just your group of friends.

If you do, at least for the love of god keep it at a town/barony level.

3/23/2017 7:10:05 AM #7

Posted By Yorick at 3:03 PM - Thu Mar 23 2017

Using discord now and saying you must be on discord while playing is something else all together. I may jump on it, before I jump on the game just in case there is anything important. Assuming my duchy even uses it still. But hell if I'm sitting on it the whole bloody time. Anyone that really wants players to do that, unless it's high nobles. They be dreaming.

3/31/2017 1:40:14 AM #8

my goal for anyone thats playing with me, or residing in my guild/county is to have fun and work with others to progress as a player. those are my key aims/goals in building a succesful group/community in any game i play. having people on discord certainly makes things fun, but only when they actually want to be there

3/31/2017 4:14:44 AM #9

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it will be the game first and VoIP as a last resort. I do have a small group that will be joining me during Exposition, but in fact, I am looking forward to working with the players that choose and are born into my community; creating the story of our County together -in-game-.

From what Caspian has said in the past there will be in-character community recruitment tools set up on the forums after domain selection, and I fully intend on using those tools as opposed to trying to build now. My laws will be laws of my County, not regulations of guild conduct. Therefore if you break the laws, you will be treated accordingly. But I have no interest in dictating how folks should experience the game.

I could be wrong, but from what I know about the game it might not be feasible after launch for large guilds from other games to gather in CoE because of the mechanics right at character creation. Therefore, players might be setting themselves up for disappointment when expecting CoE to be like every other MMO out there.

There is no starting City and depending on your choices during creation your groups could end up spread out all over the continent.

4/5/2017 8:37:44 AM #10

I guess it depends on the guild. Some guilds do it for fun others do it for success.

Live Life To The Mediocre.

4/5/2017 9:14:57 AM #11

Being on voice comms all the time sounds more like work than fun to me!

It's worth remembering that using voice comms is an external method of getting around one of the key aspects of the game. Early on, at least, Elyrians have no way to instantly communicate with non-family over vast distances.

While it's impossible to stop people doing it, they are bypassing a part of the game - not entering into the spirit of things, if you like. That's my view anyway ;)

4/5/2017 12:41:22 PM #12

I do worry that some of the competitive guilds will bring in a bunch of new players who wont understand or wont care that Elyria is optimized for storytelling, not for competition. I recognize that there is a place for competition in storytelling, but there will also be a certain amount of cooperation that will be necessary just to survive in the world for any amount of time. Players who plan to wreak havoc for a month or two, then move on may be a potential difficulty in game. As I said though, I think the survival mechanics in particular will nudge competitive players in the right direction, and they will see that some amount of cooperation will be necessary to reach their goals.

Shieldwall Strong!

4/5/2017 12:53:25 PM #13

I feel like Discord is just for complimenting IG comms and organizing out of game.

For me, In-Game communication far surpasses third party VoiP. Discord has its uses, and I'll be using it in-game, but I won't be relying on it for all the communication needs.

As for quality of community, I think everyone has their own ideas of how they want to play CoE, which is great because that is what a Sandbox is all about. Everyone will have their own plans on what quality is for their groups.

4/24/2017 1:21:28 PM #14

Posted By Scheneighnay at 11:55 PM - Wed Mar 22 2017

If I am truly going to RP my character then using discord to communicate during face to face encounters would work, but I want to be able to send messengers to contact the person I will talk to in discord, unless the npcs need to be included.then I would need to interact in game. But I will use discord to discuss "ooc" out of character discussions. I don't know how the ingame communication effects the event engine. If they have talked about this please share a link. Thanks

4/24/2017 1:48:37 PM #15

A successful guild can be fun for people..Wanting people to be in discord to me is due people are just being hype and the only things we can do is gossip and talk about COE or people realize how much trust is really needed for a guild to function and is wanting to build a community as soon as possible.