COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Player with Player Marriages

If you are of nobility and marry another player whom is beneath you then would you sacrifice nobility or would the inferior statue of player be brought up when attaining a more powerful surname?

Damn i'm hyped

3/24/2017 8:40:35 PM #1

If its like RL then the lesser would be brought up (think William and Kate) but that's a woman marring up, I'm not sure how it would work if it's the woman who is the noble, I would think it would be the same but back in the day things were not exactly equitable when is comes to women, plus I think it's the males that are first in line to the crown and a woman is only considered if there is no male air, shit I think I just raised more questions instead of answering yours.

3/24/2017 8:43:18 PM #2

Depends on the marriage contract if the spouse is elevated. I don't think that you would drop in status at all. It isn't like you will have to abdicate to marry the player character yours love or anything, but it could be possible that if the title is not specified, you could be Count Bob and the wife would be just Jane. Unless in the marriage contract, it bestows the title of Countess to the bride or groom, whatever the case may be. It could be Count Bob and his husband, Count Rob. Whatever floats your boat.

It all boils down to the contract.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

3/24/2017 8:44:43 PM #3

Male =/= Female from my understanding, they have said they do not want to create an unbalance between the sexes, so the only real difference, I believe is your appearance. When getting married, one takes on the others name, and thus I assume their nobility as well. Everything is in the contracts!

Kingdom: Alesia
Duchy: Rhyddid
County: Draken's Landing
Settlement: Drakenshire

3/24/2017 10:58:41 PM #4

Just as Rovert said, but I'd like to add something, if you take the name in the marriage or keep your is in the contract, now my question is are the titles linked to the character who holds them making it possible to make your wife a countess even if she keeps your name or to the surname meaning that unless she uses the surname she doesn't have the title, cause the reason IRL that a title was heriditary was cause it was linked to the surname.

3/24/2017 11:18:32 PM #5

Posted By Heatmiser at 1:40 PM - Fri Mar 24 2017

If its like RL then the lesser would be brought up (think William and Kate) but that's a woman marring up, I'm not sure how it would work if it's the woman who is the noble, I would think it would be the same but back in the day things were not exactly equitable when is comes to women, plus I think it's the males that are first in line to the crown and a woman is only considered if there is no male air, shit I think I just raised more questions instead of answering yours.

Gender roles don't mean as much in Elyria as they did/do on Earth in various time periods. I wish people would stop trying to equate Elyria to Earth, but I get that Earth's our only reference point. Things will be the way we make them, and they might change from kingdom to kingdom and server to server. So there's no real set answer for this question.

3/25/2017 3:11:18 AM #6

So theoretically I could buy a $250 pledge package and my girlfriend could buy the $40 one but then once we marry she will have the same nobility as me?

Damn i'm hyped

3/25/2017 3:15:45 AM #7

Still confused how there wont be an imbalance of population between the sexes

3/25/2017 3:24:44 AM #8

Yes, for that lifetime.

What happens to the title in the next lifetime will depend on whose heir you nominate in your Will (which would be likely yours - unless you are very generous and trusting). Whether or the other party will be titled-by-marriage in the next life is another matter.

Posted By Reikan at 1:15 PM - Sat Mar 25 2017

Still confused how there wont be an imbalance of population between the sexes

You've got to remember that just because players may predominately choose one gender over the other that doesn't have an impact on the gender of the children being born, and thus left as as unclaimed NPCs existing in the world.

Imgur Imgur

3/25/2017 4:03:50 AM #9

Just remember that if you plan on bestowing the title down to your heirs it gets tricky.

If you picked your son as an heir ( & gave him the title) & your gf picks the daughter of you two to be her heir...it could get a bit tricky/creepy maybe? Would she have to marry her "now" brother to get the title again?

Don't exactly want to have a Game of Thrones moment do we (or RL for the matter)?

4/6/2017 2:52:49 PM #10

Posted By Rovert at 4:44 PM - Fri Mar 24 2017

Male =/= Female from my understanding, they have said they do not want to create an unbalance between the sexes, so the only real difference, I believe is your appearance. When getting married, one takes on the others name, and thus I assume their nobility as well. Everything is in the contracts!

This! I'd be very upset and turned off by this game if it felt too much like the real world. I really like SBS's vision of gender equality. :)

Sha'harizi County - Capital City of Ah'wena - Countess Aria - Kitlandria!

4/6/2017 3:29:51 PM #11

This is my understanding of the system SBS intends to use. It is mostly abstracted from what they have said about titles, inheritance, and reputation.

In Elyria, titles have responsibilities and privileges attached to them. Each character will keep the responsibilities and privileges of the title they had before they married. They may be addressed by the equivalent title as their spouse, but they won't have the responsibilities and privileges attached to it. It would be more of an honorary title. Whoever has the title is also the one who chooses the heir, their spouse would only inherit the title if they were named the heir in the will.

To further complicate matters, however, those with titles can delegate some of their responsibilities and privileges, and I would imagine that a spouse would be the natural person to delegate to. So some might have greater authority granted to them by their spouse. This authority could be removed at any time unless their marriage contract specifies otherwise.

Someone married to a titled player will likely also have a boost to their reputation and greater social influence because they have such a close connection to someone prominent.

I don't know how taking each others names will work. I know I've seen in at least one fantasy series, whoever had lower status took the name of whoever had higher status. I think that would be a good system, but it will be up to the individual couples to decide.

Shieldwall Strong!

4/6/2017 4:01:05 PM #12

Another interesting option for naming conventions would be for sons to take their father's last name, and daughters to take their mother's.

Shieldwall Strong!

4/11/2017 2:06:49 AM #13

Im curious what the possibilities of children's bloodlines are.

Say I am just landed gentry with noble name ( Oak) and I have a child with a count/countess (Ash) does the bloodline name of our children depend on the contract we create?

So perhaps we name the first child "Heir Ash" and they receive the counts title and then the second child is named "Heir Oak" and receives my name and lands?

Or would both children be "Ash"? and say a third child is born who will just be an NPC/back up what are they called? Is that once again up to the contract? And would there be any way to change the bloodline at a different time?

4/14/2017 1:56:46 PM #14

Posted By CommonlyQuixotic at 4:29 PM - Thu Apr 06 2017

In Elyria, titles have responsibilities and privileges attached to them. Each character will keep the responsibilities and privileges of the title they had before they married. They may be addressed by the equivalent title as their spouse, but they won't have the responsibilities and privileges attached to it. It would be more of an honorary title. Whoever has the title is also the one who chooses the heir, their spouse would only inherit the title if they were named the heir in the will.

Ok so somebody marrying a Duke\Duchess, Count\Countess, King\Queen or Mayor\Mayoress, even if the title is stipulated in the contract they will not have access to any sort of town or kingdom management UI?

Could this be specified in contact or only the delegation previously mentioned; which could be granted to any other player in the same fashion.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

4/14/2017 2:17:34 PM #15

Posted By ZeroCool at 08:56 AM - Fri Apr 14 2017

Posted By CommonlyQuixotic at 4:29 PM - Thu Apr 06 2017

Ok so somebody marrying a Duke\Duchess, Count\Countess, King\Queen or Mayor\Mayoress, even if the title is stipulated in the contract they will not have access to any sort of town or kingdom management UI?

Could this be specified in contact or only the delegation previously mentioned; which could be granted to any other player in the same fashion.

Considering a noble can appoint someone to run things for them I'd imagine access to the LMT isn't restricted by title but more likely a security setting on the table itself. So basicly I could grant my spouse access or not irrespective of their actual title/contract.

To me putting it in the contract just complicates things needlessly.