COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Combat

As a long time gamer and enthusiast, I have been around the block. From what I have seen of the combat in this game, I have to say, it seems very bland. The main attraction for, I would say 80%, of Action, MMO, MMORPG, even some strategic game players is the combat. For example if you have played any of the Dark Souls games you would know how sweetly that combat scratched the itch for hundreds of thousands of players. I have beaten all the Souls games and I still crave the blocking, dodging, parrying, and back stabs. The thing that I feel made those things so great was the wide variety of weapons and the different combinations of moves they had with each weapon type. In conclusion I sincerely prey the combat is great for this game, I prey the combat does not become this games undoing. When I found out about this game 2 years ago I've been routing for this game!

3/28/2017 9:26:11 PM #1

I don't judge the combat until the second beta, looking at it now is really unfair to the game that hasn't even made it into Alpha.

3/28/2017 9:29:33 PM #2

Posted By Iccubus at 11:26 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

I don't judge the combat until the second beta, looking at it now is really unfair to the game that hasn't even made it into Alpha.

Not to mention how Dark Souls is all about the combat while CoE has a far broader spectrum where each piece needs to feel solid and entertaining in some way. It's going to take time and funds to get the game we all wish it to be.

3/28/2017 9:30:38 PM #3

I understand and agree, it is to early. I Just wanted to make sure it was on the radar and doesn't get over looked. There are a number of you tube videos recently knocking the combat just based on that one clip release a little while back. I don't want the potential population to be cut in half. if not more because of that.

3/28/2017 9:35:00 PM #4

I get the fact that coe is going to more of a sandbox style and doesn't focus on mainly one thing (dark souls and its combat) but still that will be one of the simple fallback for a lot of ppl. for example Runescape vets, who i guarantee are watching this game like a hawk!

3/28/2017 9:35:00 PM #5

I feel they will address all of our concerns what I have heard the CoE team discuss on you tube feeds. will see a lot of changes from now to second beta.

3/28/2017 9:40:27 PM #6

That is reassuring. I do hope this game pulls through!

3/28/2017 9:44:00 PM #7

I would play the game as is at the moment wouldn't bother me how many bugs they have. I watched the mad dash through the mines like 100 times and the character moment was amazing.

3/28/2017 9:48:04 PM #8

SBS has made mention after the combat video that this was early Alpha. Too many people take what they see in these first glimpses and assume that is the release content. This is often why some game developers in the past has made a NDA (non disclosure agreement) as to not release information that the public will base their buy in on. Recently companies have been allowing their followers to take part in the building process but it does lead to issues like the OP makes. Give it time and offer feedback.. but be sure they will do their best to make a great product.

3/28/2017 11:42:27 PM #9

speaking of the mines footage. i would not mid at all if they would increase ladder climbing speeds and the running starts looked a little sluggish in my opinion. i think a very responsive movement would be very appreciated.

3/29/2017 2:39:57 PM #10

Posted By Fronious at 11:35 AM - Tue Mar 28 2017

I get the fact that coe is going to more of a sandbox style and doesn't focus on mainly one thing (dark souls and its combat) but still that will be one of the simple fallback for a lot of ppl. for example Runescape vets, who i guarantee are watching this game like a hawk!

In this game, you really won't have much of a use for combat beyond thievery and hunting on the lowest level.

Because of all of the legal interference in this game, you'd probably only get Rimworld levels of violence outside of military campaigns.

3/29/2017 3:03:02 PM #11

Posted By Wall of Light at 10:39 AM - Wed Mar 29 2017

Posted By Fronious at 11:35 AM - Tue Mar 28 2017

In this game, you really won't have much of a use for combat beyond thievery and hunting on the lowest level.

Because of all of the legal interference in this game, you'd probably only get Rimworld levels of violence outside of military campaigns.

I think combat skills will be valued for guards, bounty hunters, military units, explorers, hunters, assassins, etc. However, a far smaller percentage of players will have combat skills and a far smaller percentage of overall player time will be spent in combat than most MMOs. It sounds like it will be entirely possible to have an engaging play experience without ever being involved with combat, which is not the case in most MMOs. COE will attract a different audience because of this. I personally am backing this game in part because I prefer noncombat gaming experiences. I'm not saying a good combat system isn't important, but it isn't the primary feature to attract players. It's one of many. The contract system, soulborn engine, persistent world, survival mechanics, family system, ability to research, aging and death mechanics, etc. are all extremely appealing to people who have backed the game. If combat ends up being decent but bland, I don't think the game will fail so long as the other mechanics are reasonably well implemented.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/29/2017 3:06:19 PM #12

Search 'combat' in the forums man. You could have just about copy pasted your OP from like 5 topics in the last month.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.