COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Renting out houses?

I got an idea when reading about housing the plot are so big that I would be able to have multiple houses. That made me wondering if i could buy up alot of land and then rent them out to different families and in that way getting an income?

3/28/2017 9:44:04 PM #1

Yes, they have talked about it a few times that people will be able to rent out land via contracts to players and NPC's. You can rent more than homes, you can rent blacksmith shops, or rent rooms in a tavern, or rent farmland for those who can't afford to own their own land. Really anything, the limits will be basically how indepth the contracts can be, which it sounds like they are going for a vast array of contract types that should enable us to do a lot.

3/28/2017 9:52:35 PM #2

Thanks, that is sounding really interesting. I want to be a landlord.

3/28/2017 10:06:51 PM #3

It will indeed be very cool, but not without its challenges.

Being a landlord is not that dissimilar from being a titled person who needs to collect taxes, except that you would be collecting rent. Much in the same way as taxes can be ignored (and consequences risked) people may ignore rent and then you have to go about the bloody business of evicting!

3/28/2017 10:21:26 PM #4

Won't rent be automatically paid and deducted from the renters account by the contract system? I think manual payments for each rent/lease will be annoying after some time and when You have several running contracts.

Life is too short to play bad games.

3/28/2017 10:22:10 PM #5

Evicting sounds fun. Is it only collecting rent that i need to do or is there also maintence?

3/28/2017 10:32:00 PM #6

Posted By Costanius at 6:21 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

Won't rent be automatically paid and deducted from the renters account by the contract system? I think manual payments for each rent/lease will be annoying after some time and when You have several running contracts.

What account would the payment be automatically deducted from? And who is automatically deducting it? Now I've no dev quote explaining how rent would be handled, but we do know that taxes are manually collected (though I believe they have mentioned that they are contemplating places people could deposit their taxes for the tax collector to gather from, but don't quote me on it), so why would rent be different? And more importantly how could it be? Everything else is manual, or you use NPCs or PCs with contracts to handle for you.

As for maintenance, there is maintenance needed for homes, but whether you make the renter cover it or you is up to you I would imagine. We've yet to see any rental contracts, so again it depends what the contract allows.

3/28/2017 10:57:58 PM #7

I have always assumed you needed to manually collect the taxes and rent and hoped it wasn't so. LOL. As a Count I am sure I wouldn't be doing it myself but now I have to hire someone and hope he dosn't go rogue with my money.

3/29/2017 6:36:46 AM #8

Posted By Bokimbol at 12:57 AM - Wed Mar 29 2017

I have always assumed you needed to manually collect the taxes and rent and hoped it wasn't so. LOL. As a Count I am sure I wouldn't be doing it myself but now I have to hire someone and hope he dosn't go rogue with my money.

We can do it toghether. I want to collect all that rent

3/29/2017 7:00:27 AM #9

Well if they don't build in some auto way of collecting rent\taxes.

there is always just a room or structure full of locked storage chests where the person paying you taxes or rent can drop their payment in. You have keys to all, but they only have the key to their specific box.

Once a week you come clear out the chests.

though you would need to have guards 24/7 on that room\building because it would be one hell of a tempting target for the deviants

3/29/2017 7:25:45 AM #10

Lol...alots of job for thiefs :)))

209920 WALLACHIA

3/29/2017 12:13:58 PM #11

Posted By Costanius at 09:21 AM - Wed Mar 29 2017

That be probably why most people wouldn't want to expand their "empire" to much. If I went the route of buying land/houses and renting them out. I wouldn't go much more than having land in a few different towns.

If it was so easy that it somehow it was all auto. What is stopping me from buying land in the best locations all over the kingdom? Of course you need to visit your land so much so you don't lose it. Which makes me wonder how that works if you are renting it to someone.

But seeing how no one has any accounts, nothing can be auto anyway. Unless the game magically takes money out of someones chest.. lol

3/29/2017 12:34:13 PM #12

I imagine we will eventually see some sort of automatic payment service provided by banks. But first players will need to set up banks and prove that they are trustworthy.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/29/2017 12:44:35 PM #13

Posted By CommonlyQuixotic at 08:34 AM - Wed Mar 29 2017

I imagine we will eventually see some sort of automatic payment service provided by banks. But first players will need to set up banks and prove that they are trustworthy.

Player run banks yes, i doubt the devs would implement a system that would do it for us. Then it's less automated and just someone else's manual process.

3/29/2017 12:56:03 PM #14

There is no "account" for money. If I have 10000 gold it's all stored either on my person or in a chest, on my table or somewhere else in my house.

There is no secure storage/bank/wallet like other mmos so automatic transactions by the engine would be difficult to pull off. Now if you have a deal with a player run bank to hand over rent each month that could be a thing. But don't expect the engine to ever automatically control money transfers.

Also taxes and such including rent will need to be manually collected either by a tax collector knocking on doors or (I've seen this mentioned a total of 1 time) having people who owe taxes come to a central point and pay their debt.

Either way someone has to be involved in the collecting and storage of taxes/rent. The reason for this is to give deviant players a story hook. Raiding the local tax collector ala Robin Hood. Any control taken from the players reduces the opportunities for unique stories to develop.

Now as a count I already strongly dislike this system. Storing tax money is one thing but having to spend game time either collecting or managing people who collect taxes across my county seems ... boring with a dash of annoying tossed in just for good measure. So while I understand the reason behind the design choice I think it will be something that gets changed before launch as it is more annoying than the fun the possible story hook adds.

3/29/2017 1:46:39 PM #15

Exactly. You'll spend 50% or more of Your play-time running around collecting taxes and rent or pay taxes and rent if its completely manual. Tedious boring repetitive gameplay for counts and mayors! (Tax collecting simulator 2018... :) ) And why have contracts at all? If its all manual You just make a deal with a player and You can only hope he'll pay and honour the deal. It would have no consequences at all. I just can't image it'll work in the long run and most probably will end in total chaos without any sort of automation. In my opinion the focus should be on MAKING deals, not running around collecting taxes and rent each and every week again and again... Beta tests will show how and if it'll work...

Life is too short to play bad games.