COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Can you earn a talent?

So my story is, in most MMOrpg's I play, I always roll as some kind of Mage. I'm aware Talent's are in the agme and I heard magic could be a thing.

My question is, would it possible to devote my research/travels/quest line to eventually uncover the use of magic or something just as grand?(Not by luck of finding it but earning it)

3/30/2017 12:41:11 AM #1

To answer your question as simply as possible. No, you cannot just 'devote' yourself to research and then come up with a talent eventually. Your character either has the talent or it doesn't, they won't be something you can uncover just by effort/earning it in a lifetime.

3/30/2017 12:50:10 AM #2

Even if you don't have a natural talent, wouldn't there be a chance you could practice or train? Granted magic may not work that way but I would think that other talents might.

3/30/2017 1:00:29 AM #3

WTAN, no. Talents won't work like that. If you aren't born with it, you won't just poof into having it. Granted we don't know what the talents will entail really since SBS is pretty mum on the subject, but they have been pretty open with the reality of, if you dont have it at 'birth' you can't just work your way into having it.

This isn't to be confused with skills mind you. So its not something like smithing or the like. But things like breathing under water, or magic, or being able to talk to animals. YOu first need to have it from the start, and second need to do whatever the engine requires (secrets in the background that no one will know) to activate it on your character.

3/30/2017 1:30:36 AM #4

You can't earn a talent, but you can get your hands on an artifact that might give you the same effect as one.

3/30/2017 1:43:55 AM #5

Actually, something I feel need to be said in this discussion =>

Posted By Xearo at 8:41 PM - Wed Mar 29 2017

To answer your question as simply as possible. No, you cannot just 'devote' yourself to research and then come up with a talent eventually. Your character either has the talent or it doesn't, they won't be something you can uncover just by effort/earning it in a lifetime.

Posted By Xearo at 9:00 PM - Wed Mar 29 2017

WTAN, no. Talents won't work like that. If you aren't born with it, you won't just poof into having it. Granted we don't know what the talents will entail really since SBS is pretty mum on the subject, but they have been pretty open with the reality of, if you dont have it at 'birth' you can't just work your way into having it.

While both of those points are true, they apply specifically to talents. Something I feel need to be said is, magic isn't limited only to talents. As far as we know right now, there are at least two other potential ways to delve into the realm of magic; the Relics and the Lich. In theory, although extremely hard to acquire in both cases, those two methods wouldn't be entirely reliant on luck the same way acquiring a talent would be.

I'm not necessarily saying to go for it, anything magical is bound to be extremely rare in this game so even focusing entirely on it isn't likely to produce favorable results, but the answer to your question isn't necessarily a clean-cut "no" either.

Norhurst, County of Opportunity

3/30/2017 1:48:55 AM #6

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Maybe, however since this is HEAVILY dependent on the SBS story engine, character fame, and good ol fashioned luck; it is unreasonable to expect to be rewarded with a talent at any given time. Instead, it is more feasible for you to refine a simple skill until it becomes unto a form of magic itself.

an addendum.

Take anything you hear regarding magic/talents as speculation. The systems aren't in place and at best we only know developer intent.

3/30/2017 2:45:07 AM #7

Well, I'm not sure about talents, but you can greatly increase your chance of finding artefacts and interacting with your destiny if you're out exploring rather than baking bread in a city :)

3/30/2017 1:38:18 PM #8

Just to tack this on there...

There are actually two ways by which you can end up with a Talent.

1: Be born with it, and complete the invisible quest to unlock it. You will never know if you have the potential to unlock a Talent or not, and you will never know what the requirements are to unlock it if you do have it. About 0.25% of Characters (5% of 5%) will unlock an inborn talent.

2: Be handed the Talent by the Soulborn Engine. The Soulborn Engine is the intelligent quest and event manager that is intended to make sure that the plot of CoE happens the way the developers want it to. And in order to encourage things along and make stuff happen, the SBE has the ability to grant Unlocked Talents to players.

All we know at this point is that if it determines that there is a need for a character with a particular Talent, it will pick someone who is deeply involved in the ongoing plot of CoE, and plays in a way that is suitable to the Talent being granted.

So, while there is nothing you can do to improve your chances of Unlocking a Talent. And I say this because even if you get out there and do things...you might have the potential for a Talent for...say...crafting 'superior' weapons (borderline magic they are so good)...you're never going to unlock it if you aren't a weaponsmith. If you want to maximize your chances of getting a Talent, get out there and get involved with CoE's main plot.

But still...understand this: You will probably never get a Talent. And even if you do, you will almost certainly never get the exact Talent you were hoping for.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

3/30/2017 3:49:59 PM #9

My sources say; yes. Technically you can.

If you are in the right place, at the right time, along the right path of the story-line. And, to complete that story-line, someone has to have a specific talent. Then the soulborn engine will grant you that talent.

Also, it may be possible through story quests (lich is a good example).

Can you earn, as in gain through training or purchase a specific talent? No.

There are no sources for this, but I'd be willing to bet that if you follow the main quest-line for the world(since these only happen once, competition will be fierce!) then you will probably gain a talent at some point in your 10-year journey.

The odds? I'd guess less than 1%. You'd be more likely to be born with it than to gain it. Unless you're just that epic/lucky.

3/30/2017 5:26:17 PM #10

From what I've seen, the magic talent is also based on family choice, correct? So, while it is based on luck within the families that have the magic attribute, there are some families that will have 0% chance of any children having the magic talent, right?

So, if you never stray from a family/bloodline/partner that doesn't have the attribute, you won't ever have a character with magic, right?

3/30/2017 5:29:39 PM #11

Posted By Cave_N at 08:49 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

My sources say; yes. Technically you can.

If you are in the right place, at the right time, along the right path of the story-line. And, to complete that story-line, someone has to have a specific talent. Then the soulborn engine will grant you that talent.

Also, it may be possible through story quests (lich is a good example).

Can you earn, as in gain through training or purchase a specific talent? No.

There are no sources for this, but I'd be willing to bet that if you follow the main quest-line for the world(since these only happen once, competition will be fierce!) then you will probably gain a talent at some point in your 10-year journey.

The odds? I'd guess less than 1%. You'd be more likely to be born with it than to gain it. Unless you're just that epic/lucky.

What are your sources? And which storyline are you follow since the storylines will be player created/driven according to Caspian.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

3/30/2017 5:33:29 PM #12

Posted By Civil at 1:26 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

From what I've seen, the magic talent is also based on family choice, correct? So, while it is based on luck within the families that have the magic attribute, there are some families that will have 0% chance of any children having the magic talent, right?

So, if you never stray from a family/bloodline/partner that doesn't have the attribute, you won't ever have a character with magic, right?

I have never seen that in anything I've read or watched.

As far as I know, inborn Talents are completely 100% random.

Once upon a time, they were tied to a soul, and if you awoke a Talent on one character, every following character made with that soul would have the same Talent. SbS decided to remove that idea (so as to not create uber-powerful players who dominated the game on account of having a Talent that they couldn't lose, and to give more players a chance at having a character with a Talent), and now a Talent is only tied to your character for as long as they live.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

3/30/2017 5:51:13 PM #13

Posted By Joreel at 6:29 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

What are your sources? And which storyline are you follow since the storylines will be player created/driven according to Caspian.

Some story is player driven. However, there is also an over arching 10 year story for the game which is written by Soulbound Studios. Players can influence how the story plays out to an extent but we will see the same major plot points on all servers it just might vary how we get between them.

There is also the personal destiny you have as a player which is controlled by the Soulborn Engine so inderviduals will have unique stories they can follow too.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

3/30/2017 5:59:52 PM #14

Thank you VictoriaRachel. That summed it up nicely.

3/30/2017 6:22:34 PM #15

Posted By guildsbounty at 10:33 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Posted By Civil at 1:26 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

I have never seen that in anything I've read or watched.

As far as I know, inborn Talents are completely 100% random.

Once upon a time, they were tied to a soul, and if you awoke a Talent on one character, every following character made with that soul would have the same Talent. SbS decided to remove that idea (so as to not create uber-powerful players who dominated the game on account of having a Talent that they couldn't lose, and to give more players a chance at having a character with a Talent), and now a Talent is only tied to your character for as long as they live.

Ahh, thank you for clarifying. I was basing the assumption off of the information I read concerning families/bloodlines.