COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Just a thought!

I had a thought, lets say the this game progresses like it should, and we make it through the pre alpha, then the alpha and beta testing. The end result is a game that's absolutely beautiful in design and function. We get to expo and kingdoms come together as planned, the justice systems that have been put in place work perfectly, although crime is not eliminated its kept in check enough for it not to be to much of a hindrance, kingdoms flourish, the world is alive with robust storylines and gameplay. The word is spreads as to how bad ass the game is. At launch droves of new players flock to the game, but unfortunately the majority of them are the wrong type of players. I think I have seen them referred to as "murder hobos." Players who only want to kill shit, and even though we have great systems of justice in place, the "murder hobos" vastly out number regular players, the shear magnitude of them overwhelm the justice system and it collapses. Without a justice system total chaos breaks loose. There is rampant death and destruction, echoes of clashing swords and blood curling screams permeate the country side day and night as the streets run red with blood. Now, PC's can respawn, but everything I have read says NPCs do not and once they are killed they are gone for good. My question is with all the death and mayhem, what happens when the last NPC is slain? I know two PCs can get together and make a baby but in this type of environment it would be highly unlikely that any offspring would survive long enough to be a viable candidate for soul transfer. So what would happen when someone permadies and there soul is returned to the soulwell? With no NPCs left would they just be trapped there? And what would happen if no NPCs are created before the last PC dies? Would we end up with an empty world? Now I know this is a nightmare worst case scenario but I haven't read anything about the mechanics of the game that says that it couldn't happen.

3/30/2017 5:33:59 AM #1

Don't wards just spawn out of no where? Maybe everyone will just become a ward. Or maybe, it will be a tragic ending and they shut down the server? Who knows.

3/30/2017 5:58:53 AM #2

You can't kill children in CoE. I believe it is any under the age of 15 can't be killed. I am not sure if that applies to wards as well but all children are safe.. . :)

3/30/2017 6:07:34 AM #3

Gotta remember people may want to kill everything in sight. But they still need to get the equipment. Then the food to stay alive. I doubt those type of people would last all that long really. I am also hoping a NPC can take on a fresh blood with crap gear, low skills, as in sword/armour etc. If NPCs can be killed that easily, that seems like a bigger problem to me.

Unless these type of people are running around in packs. I really can't see them doing much damage. Would be a good time for bandits though. Seeing these people thinking "I'm going to go cause some fun in the town over". To leave without any food, weapons are falling apart but taking everything they own on them.

3/30/2017 11:29:16 AM #4

Last I heard, wards cannot coup de grace, or be coup de graced until they are 15.

I've wondered myself what the population of NPCs will look like. On the one hand, if they are coup de graced, they permadie. On the other hand, if they are mostly left alone, their could end up being many NPCs for every PC in the game.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/30/2017 11:47:38 AM #5

Actually it would get really expensive for these murderers. They will not be left unchecked and when they are caught will risk eradicating their own life. So, eventually they would erase themselves on a financial level.

3/30/2017 2:40:08 PM #6

Posted By CommonlyQuixotic at 04:29 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

I've wondered myself what the population of NPCs will look like. On the one hand, if they are coup de graced, they permadie. On the other hand, if they are mostly left alone, their could end up being many NPCs for every PC in the game.

I to have wondered which is the purpose of the post, I just used the nightmare scenario as a way of getting there. I think in reality it would be something that would happen more gradually over time, to many wars for to long, famine or plague. All could lead to a greatly reduced NPC population. I know it will definitely affect the justice systems of the kingdoms since they will rely largely on NPCs to function properly cause face it, nobody is gonna want to play a guard. So a robust NPC population will be a must or you'll run the risk of running out of guards and other essential positons that are just grunt work that PCs will not do.

3/30/2017 2:44:52 PM #7

Also worth mentioning....

A brand new Player Character is worthless in a fight. You're a teenager who has probably never picked up a weapon in your life. Has never lived outside of their parent's home (or the orphanage). Has no survival skills, no trade skills, basically no money. Doesn't know how to navigate in the wilderness, doesn't own any weapons, and is generally pretty helpless in a dangerous world.

If you try to enter this game and get straight to murder-hoboing, you'll just die in the wilderness or get slaughtered by any competent warrior you pick a fight with.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

3/30/2017 4:13:29 PM #8

Posted By guildsbounty at 10:44 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Also worth mentioning....

A brand new Player Character is worthless in a fight. You're a teenager who has probably never picked up a weapon in your life. Has never lived outside of their parent's home (or the orphanage). Has no survival skills, no trade skills, basically no money. Doesn't know how to navigate in the wilderness, doesn't own any weapons, and is generally pretty helpless in a dangerous world.

If you try to enter this game and get straight to murder-hoboing, you'll just die in the wilderness or get slaughtered by any competent warrior you pick a fight with.

You will have some amount of training and equipment from your parents. The skill of the player will also be a factor.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/30/2017 4:23:18 PM #9

Reading the words "murdering hobos running around everywhere" just brought a smile on my face. :D

So many free targets for me to kill, would be beautiful. And so much cash from tokens.

3/30/2017 9:36:28 PM #10

Posted By LegionPete at 07:47 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Actually it would get really expensive for these murderers. They will not be left unchecked and when they are caught will risk eradicating their own life. So, eventually they would erase themselves on a financial level.

This, I think.

It seems like people who run around killing aimlessly will eventually collapse, as the play style doesn't lend itself to survival.

Tartarus

3/31/2017 10:03:53 PM #11

Posted By mystichaze at 01:58 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

You can't kill children in CoE. I believe it is any under the age of 15 can't be killed. I am not sure if that applies to wards as well but all children are safe.. . :)

Children are safe? Does this mean that they have infinite health, or a barrier or something

xd

3/31/2017 10:05:15 PM #12

Posted By Khruul at 6:03 PM - Fri Mar 31 2017

Children are safe? Does this mean that they have infinite health, or a barrier or something

guys children should not be safe. it takes from the roleplay factor. it would add so much more realism! its just a game! those who attack children could even get a large sentence! so many options! its a good idea!

3/31/2017 10:54:19 PM #13

Posted By Khruul at 3:03 PM - Fri Mar 31 2017

A child, I believe from the age 12 to 15 can incapacitated, but you can't kill them. This is due to the legalities involved in game development, more so than a personal choice of the developers. :) I will see if I can find the source for you and add it to this post.

// I can't seem to find the source, sorry. It was talked about some time ago.

3/31/2017 11:29:36 PM #14

Also, just a note. It is highly unlikely the world would ever run out of NPC's since you (a player) could just have more kids then you need and just turn them into NPC'.

4/1/2017 1:32:49 AM #15

It is just me who thinks that it is fair game? Like yeah it will suck and all but it still will one hell of story to tell.

"Hey John remember that time in that old game where the server was coming down because of a flood of annoying pricks? Hell... Listen son, that was a whole server and crime and murder was everyday ocurrence. Me and your uncle here were only in one small guild but we saw all big guilds uniting and trying to set thing on track but... Sigh"

"I remember... We lost in the end did we not? But that was glorious! Even the dark guilds joined us in the end but it was in vain... Now i tell you, these kids nowadays will never understand how we felt, today all they seem to care about are those weird VR games getting stuck in these weird boxes all day long. Hmph..."