COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Master Magician providing magic trait

I believe the 5% player chance of having magic should have a chance to hone there craft to become a master magician. If a person reaches there maximum potential with magic, I think there should be a trait to pass magic on to another player, which will trigger a quest line for the other player to learn magic? Thoughts anyone?

4/9/2017 6:44:46 PM #1

I'd assume it would be something along the line of if the person has the latent ability to actually use magic, not just something people can go take a class or study for. Basically your born with it, or your not. Unless you mean teaching another magic user to boost their skill but even then, I recall it was said magic can have different branches as well?

4/9/2017 6:44:47 PM #2

5% of the people don't have a chance of having magic.

5% of the people have a chance of having a talent, which is a very diverse term.

And they've already said how talents will work, and it's designed that way to make sure that while talents are unbalanced, they don't become part of the meta, etc. They don't want everyone to be a mage, they want every once in awhile someone with a talent to be impactful to the game and thus a story is created around them.

4/9/2017 6:47:29 PM #3

Posted By Xatori at

I believe the 5% player chance of having magic should have a chance to hone there craft to become a master magician. If a person reaches there maximum potential with magic, I think there should be a trait to pass magic on to another player, which will trigger a quest line for the other player to learn magic? Thoughts anyone?

Just so you know it's a 5% chance to get a talent. Which one is magic, so it's way more rare. Which even then you may just have the magic skill to make some small flame. So not like you can learn another talent anyway. Not like you are learning magic, you just have a single talent. Seems kind of unfair if mates could share it around, even if you could only share it to one person. Basically means every second lifetime you would have that talent.

4/9/2017 6:54:46 PM #4

Posted By Gunnlang at 2:47 PM - Sun Apr 09 2017

Posted By Xatori at

Just so you know it's a 5% chance to get a talent. Which one is magic, so it's way more rare. Which even then you may just have the magic skill to make some small flame. So not like you can learn another talent anyway. Not like you are learning magic, you just have a single talent. Seems kind of unfair if mates could share it around, even if you could only share it to one person. Basically means every second lifetime you would have that talent.

I didn't know magic was more rare then the 5%, even more the reason to add lore to it. I think it would be cool to teach the magic trait to player if you become a master magician. Although I do think becoming a master of the craft of magic should be more rare then the actual chance of having magic. I dont think it would be easy to friend share the trait, especially with only 10-14 months to live. Assuming the recipient of a quest to receive magic from a master magician which could take a life time is 5 months in?

4/9/2017 7:21:51 PM #5

Pass.

Magic should be extremely rare. It should be so rare most people won't ever see a mage. Those who do should be so scared they run the they direction.

4/12/2017 3:40:54 AM #6

Bah BAM! ---> Agravaine Academy

Help us learn more about it.

- Shmuck

4/12/2017 4:21:31 AM #7

I really wish people would stop bringing up the topic of more people getting magic. While design during game development is fluid, Caspian has made it abundantly clear a very tiny portion of the population will be able to use magic. On an entire server, chances are there will be two mages at most during a generation. Hell they changed it from soul bound to character bound to make it even rarer.

Magic is better off being something most people will never see because then it can be something potentially immensely powerful and special. This can't be the case if a large number of people have it.

4/18/2017 11:09:39 PM #8

Not interested in this idea at all. I also think you could've put a little more thought into it, considering how drastically it could change the vision of the game.

4/19/2017 2:42:52 AM #9

Mastering of a talent will give you real experience that you can pass on to other existing talent users.

By real experience, I mean like writing a wiki. You'll have to figure out for yourself how your talent even works, and you can pass on knowledge such as "don't set yourself on fire, because it's possible."

4/19/2017 5:14:32 AM #10

A better idea is to remove magic from your thinking as odds are against you getting it.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

4/19/2017 5:37:10 AM #11

+1 up for honest question. though i feel it is now pretty much answered.

4/19/2017 6:34:31 AM #12

Magic is exceedingly rare. Any other such talent is just as rare and may be linked to your mind and body so as a rule cannot simply be passed on.

Look at it this way. The current belief is that the more creative among us physically see the world differently. One recent experiment subjected one eye to green and the other to red in test subjects.

Those tested and found to be more creative described the sight as a mesh of red and green. The less creative reported the image flickering between the two colors. I have no idea why none of them described it as a different color from each eye by switching the dominant, but that's immaterial. I didnt try it.

Talents in Elyria are expected to be much the same. A large degree of luck, but physically bound to us.

Personally I do like the idea of magic mastery and an academy but wouldn't want to impact the talent system and numbers.

What might meet part of your criteria would be if a master "<talent name>" could travel around and uncover X number of other talents, trigger them and accelerate their training.

This wouldnt change the rarity of talents but might fulfill a role akin to patrick stewart in X men...

Thus you would change the distribution very slightly. Most talents would be scarcely scattered but very rarely you might find an almost unheard of "home for peculiar children" lol

4/21/2017 2:56:15 AM #13

Interesting idea. I certainly like it within the context of two characters both having a magical talent. One is a master and the other becomes an apprentice. In this case, it should be possible for the apprentice to improve their skill (if magical talent will have trees like other skills) at a faster rate than if they try learning on their own.

I like that magic is intended to be rare, however I'm not keen on the idea that it's SO rare player characters may never encounter it. If that's the case, why even bother having it at all?

This may be a matter of opinion, but magic makes games and stories vastly more interesting. A 5% chance just to have a talent (let alone a magical talent) sounds impossibly rare to the point where magic is practically myth. Aim for something like 1% of the player population so it's quite rare without making it negligible. 1 out of every 100, so on a server of 10,000 players, ~100 would have magical talent of some kind.

Friend Code: 4AC3A3

5/24/2017 6:35:19 AM #14

I think that since its so rare when someone does happen to be able to use magic, kingdoms would all flock to get that person on there side. That alone could make some crazy story's/event in the game. i.e. wars over the one person.

I will need hard workers for my city.

Friend Code: B2E511

5/24/2017 7:22:13 AM #15

Posted By Moonlynx at 12:14 AM - Wed Apr 19 2017

A better idea is to remove magic from your thinking as odds are against you getting it.

It's at least a 50/50 chance he'll have a talent over the ten years of the game. Those are decent odds, the flip of a coin.