COMMUNITY - FORUMS - REPORT A BUG
Numbered List error

So, anytime you try to post a list of things, the numbers start getting weird. They'll auto restart at 1 whenever there is text double returned after the number. Examples include the following.

1. This is 1 as it should be.
    1. reads 1 when I typed 3.

assd

1. This is also 1 when it SHOULD be reading 2. 2 being what I actually typed.

assd

1. One again

2. I typed 3 and it reads 2 instead.

asad

1 random stuff

3 shows 3 when typed 3 without the "."

2 shows 2 when typed 2 without the "."

This error only seems to happen when numbered lists occur with a "#." and not just the number.

So to reproduce 1. type a "1." at the beginning of a line

1. type anything

2. hit return twice

3. then type any number followed by a period. It will force that to be the next number in number sequence even if you typed ANY other whole number.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

4/12/2017 10:16:24 PM #1

I ran in to this earlier this week.

it preceded the 2.7 update.

I forgot to come report it.

4/12/2017 10:21:57 PM #2

Is this happening when using the list Markdown, or when manually typing list numbers etc.?

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.

4/12/2017 10:43:39 PM #3

Posted By Wooga at 5:21 PM - Wed Apr 12 2017

Is this happening when using the list Markdown, or when manually typing list numbers etc.?

in my case manually typing the numbers,

in editor view you'll see

but once you post

it will become like the original poster showed, when if there is text\new lines between iterations that isn't made using Shift+Enter,

then it stats iteration back at 1

4/12/2017 11:10:31 PM #4

Posted By Wooga at 6:21 PM - Wed Apr 12 2017

what is a list Markdown? I just manually typed everything.

1. stuff standard 1
  2. even more

just tested it and you don't need to shift-enter at all. Just enter once can do it.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

4/13/2017 12:11:03 AM #5

This is not a bug. This is how markdown works. Markdown is the 'code' used for formatting the forums and is not developed by Soulbound.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

4/13/2017 12:35:59 AM #6

As VictoriaRachel said, this is WAI (working as intended.) In Markdown, the formatting syntax used by the CoE forum and many other sites, a series of lines beginning with any numbers and a period is converted to an HTML <ol> (ordered list) tag. Your browser sees the <ol> and inserts consecutive ascending numbers before each item, regardless of what numbers you actually typed in your original comment. You can write 500, 12, 19, 37, 8 and it will still show up 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, because the HTML being served to your browser doesn't actually contain the "item numbers," it's numbering them based on what position they actually are in the list. If you have something in between that isn't part of the list, and you resume the list afterwards, it's starting an entirely new <ol> tag, and the numbers start over from 1. Essentially, it's not a bug in the site, it's a design choice by the people who created Markdown, which the site uses. You can read the full spec for Markdown here.

4/19/2017 10:16:45 PM #7

Noted as not a bug. Closing thread.

ZRO