COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
the need for deviants.

just curious about peoples opinion of the antagonist v. protagonist type meta that comes along with a good and evil type play style. do you think the exile of these kinds of players from a geographical region would negatively effect the story or quality of game play in that area? i know after expo their will be deviants everywhere, but what will the impact of this be? with there be npc bandits? will they be tough to remove? what is the chance that deviants will simply stop playing due to this persecution? (also shameless self promotion for anyone who wants to be a deviant who will also be a contributing member of a society Clicky Clicky on my town page.)

4/13/2017 9:44:58 AM #1

I don't think that exiling will have an impact on the story or the quality of the gameplay because no matter how many people you exile there will always be new people doing the same thing. Or old deviants might return.

I feel like being persecuted adds another element to being a deviant, because if you've been persecuted you know that you did something wrong therefore you'll have to change your ways.

4/13/2017 9:48:45 AM #2

I feel like deviants will add quite a bit to the game not just in giving knights and the like targets to arrest or kill but giving average players a reason to be bodyguards and I feel like it would be so much more rewarding helping take down a player made criminal ring than being told to take care of some bandits that you know are npc's as for the story I don't know how it will play out but I'm sure deviants won't ruin it because even if a deviant is chosen by the game to be the "hero" I'm sure they would take it up or if not the game will probably select the next best person for the role as for the geographical area I don't feel like it will good or bad just different if deviants rule certain cities or counties I'm sure the experience of being there will be good enough think illegal gambling or fight rings and even if there not it at least gives armies a target.

4/13/2017 11:09:13 AM #3

I think a lot of people underestimate the number of players who will go deviant/evil/pk or however you want to badge it. I'm guessing 30-50%. Who is going to exile them? The remaining 50-70% won't all be good-guy pvpers, the majority will be nice people who want to craft and trade and make baby farms. The bad guys are going to overwhelm the good guys imo because lets face it, being a good-aligned pvper is the boring option.

The thing that could swing it is npc behaviour. Example - If I drive you out and take over your town officially how will the npcs behave? Will they follow me and do all the bad things I ask them to, or will they attack me, ignore me, run away? If the npcs follow the new leader regardless of how evil they are the world is doomed to be full of warring military dictatorships unless the engine goes for the divine intervention option so loved by DM's whose players can't follow a script?

4/13/2017 11:22:03 AM #4

in some games i would agree that most players will go evil or PK but i feel as though the punishments embedded in the system would potentially prevent them from taking that path in the long run. the need for them to have survival skills may offset their viability in combat? being sent to jail deteriorating skills? to be honest i'm surprised that not many people have been reaching out to me as a deviant friendly mayor i assumed i would be a popular choice, maybe there simply aren't many low level backers at this point, but it still doesn't seem like deviant is as popular at this point.

4/13/2017 11:52:42 AM #5

I think just like in RL most people will be deviants even if just not as open as others. Upstanding citizen in public behind the scenes the best fence in the county.

4/13/2017 12:03:48 PM #6

Deviants are the basis to countering the EP store (which is also why others hate them even more in this game). You can buy $100 worth of goodies but that just gives deviants more stuff to steal. For that reason, I like em. I like knowing I'm not minecraft safe.

I don't know anymore.

4/21/2017 8:23:38 AM #7

Posted By Primavera at 9:09 PM - Thu Apr 13 2017

I think a lot of people underestimate the number of players who will go deviant/evil/pk or however you want to badge it.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I don't think having "deviant" players is necessarily a bad thing, it's more of the fact that playing a more evil-aligned character tends to be pretty popular option. It could also border pretty close to griefing and take a lot away from those to choose to play a contributing role to CoE society if there's too many.

ayy lmao

4/21/2017 8:37:13 AM #8

indeed. i think the trick is to provide them a reason to not see you as oppressive overlords. use them in mutually beneficial ways and if they don't agree to be fair. punish them harshly.

4/21/2017 9:36:33 AM #9

I think people should stop playing this game of good vs evil. You should be fighting for things you believe in, that is the whole reason for anger to defend what you care about.

You would assassinate someone not just to be a killer, but because you want the government to change, you want new ideas to come through the game and new factions and ideas to become dominant.

You could be killing a king not for another government but maybe even just for the lower social classes. Every King will have things they neglect so there really should always be a reason to want to change who is in charge. Perhaps you want something more grand, perhaps a different government structure, perhaps change the policies on what is considered crimes.

There is a definite need for assassins to keep the game from being stagnant. Even if you just threaten assasination unless certain changes are made would make sense.

4/21/2017 9:40:20 AM #10

its imposible to exile a deviant a true deviant finds a way he will do it no matter what .

" Death is only the beginning ! "

Friend Code: 488BBA

4/21/2017 9:48:49 AM #11

Posted By annfrank at

just curious about peoples opinion of the antagonist v. protagonist type meta that comes along with a good and evil type play style. do you think the exile of these kinds of players from a geographical region would negatively effect the story or quality of game play in that area? i know after expo their will be deviants everywhere, but what will the impact of this be? with there be npc bandits? will they be tough to remove? what is the chance that deviants will simply stop playing due to this persecution? (also shameless self promotion for anyone who wants to be a deviant who will also be a contributing member of a society Clicky Clicky on my town page.)

An area that decreases the number of deviants in said area may have the SB engine generate gossip of how safe it was. This could entice other NPCs to come join the area, for good or ill. With NPC AI being based on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and OCEAN, I don't see why a lull in PC deviants wouldn't or couldn't lead to NPC deviants.

Also, PC deviants kept at bay in one area will probably ply their trade in an easier area. Leading the SB engine to have local NPCs (of the new area) ask for aid or bemoaning their lot. Which could lead to NPC "heroes" stepping up due to lack of PC heroes.

As to how hard NPCs will be to beat I think it is going to have to do with their starting stats and how much they train combat abilities, much like it will be with the PCs.

Three aberrations that have plagued gamers from the beginning: The Lag Monster, the Mistell Maven and the Typo-Daemon. Their actions have to led to laughter, anger and tears since the beginning of the Internet.

4/21/2017 12:29:02 PM #12

I don't see a need for deviants.

People will find their antagonists easily enough without deviants.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

4/21/2017 1:48:32 PM #13

I think it's too early to determine the number of deviants there will be for sure. We don't know how harsh the survival or justice the mechanics will be...Everyone is just throwing out grand ideas without truly knowing how difficult anything will be..I feel like we thinking about deviant characters in regards of old games where they have no real penalty to being deviants. I feel CoE will be a bit different if it follows through. Deviants will have to be more organized and not just be random gankers.

5/9/2017 6:12:16 PM #14

As one tempted to play deviant I do not think there is going to be that many of them, at least not ones skilled enough to cause much trouble. The whole disguise thing seems rather difficult to sustain unless you change spot a lot and keep away from bigger settlements. The world is huge so stalking along the roads may not bring much weaklings passing by to prey upon and those who have things worth stealing can afford guards.

5/11/2017 4:16:18 AM #15

I'm looking forward to it

My ongoing biography, as written by the community:

Posted By annfrank at 04:15 AM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I'm woke AF

Posted By Apaukolypse at 05:31 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I like memes

¯_(ツ)_/¯