COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Knights of the Realms

When not fighting wars, knights needed to hone their skills. One way to do this was through tournaments and jousting. These events were a great way to keep in shape during times of peace.

How will your Knights Order interact with the Kingdoms of Elyria? Will you travel to different realms and compete in Tournaments? What Kingdom will you back in these Tournaments? (Server, county, kingdom)

Will you follow the Code of Chivalry? or follow something else?

would like to hear from the Knights of the Realms of Elyria. What Kingdom do you follow? or are you a Knight without a Kingdom?

Saladin Darkmoon

Knights of the Internal Soul

4/16/2017 4:32:41 PM #1

Cute

4/16/2017 5:48:50 PM #2

I probs won't follow all the code of chivalry that just leaves you open to bring outmoved

4/16/2017 5:54:58 PM #3

I agree with Zultra, although knightly codes are a romantic idea I think most kingdoms and nobles will do what's expedient, rather than what's chivalrous. Realpolitik will be the dominant governing attitude I think.

But it would be good to see warriors trying to be 'the perfect knight' so good luck with this! :)

4/23/2017 1:56:41 AM #4

I can almost confirm this now...fair play won't happen. Especially not against criminals, thugs, bandits and dangerous individuals.

"Sometimes a swift Justice is unseen and unprepared for."

But everything else on the list seems like a prolific and encouraging vision.

Well done.

4/23/2017 2:18:35 AM #5

I will probably adhere to some of those even though I wouldn't consider myself a "Knight".

Fair Play:

-I for the most part wouldn't attack unarmed people because it just wouldn't be fun.

-I wouldn't cheat because I just feel that ruins perfectly good challenges

-I don't really think I can even Torture people in CoE, but if I could I wouldn't

Nobility

-TBH would ignore all of these (Even the Women part; People earn respect, it isn't given freely) except "Administer Justice" and maybe self discipline if I thought it truly necessary

Valor

-I would probably follow all of these

Honor

-All of these

Courtesy

-Nope

Loyalty

-To those worthy

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

4/23/2017 5:27:22 AM #6

I find it ironic that someone named Saladin is going to run a Knight Order.

Just for everyone's interest, this code that you've presented isn't necessarily THE Code of Chivalry. In fact, there isn't a true code. Chivalry isn't a list of behaviors that should be adhered to by a knight. It literally translates as horsemanship, or the ability of a knight to fight on horseback.

Overtime, the idea of Chivalry as a code of conduct developed, but this is fairly new. Historically, the behavior of a knight was largely determined by the lord they served.

Anyway, will I adhere to this Code? Probably, for the most part. As a Lord, it's in my best interest to be seen as honorable. Does that mean I'll never do anything shady? Of course not, some backstabbing is required.

Warriors of Æsir

4/23/2017 8:17:44 AM #7

I don't really remember where I heard this, but there's this saying:

"Honor is for the dead"

Try as you might, if someone can find a quicker more direct route to stab a dude and get away with it in game, chances are they'll do it and no amount of shaming can correct it. I'll just try to follow Wheaton's Law for as much as I can though.

4/24/2017 2:02:32 AM #8

Posted By Jouten at 04:17 AM - Sun Apr 23 2017

"Honor is for the dead"

Try as you might, if someone can find a quicker more direct route to stab a dude and get away with it in game, chances are they'll do it and no amount of shaming can correct it. I'll just try to follow Wheaton's Law for as much as I can though.

I see it as a challenge. Handicapping yourself in certain ways is like playing games on "Hard" mode.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

4/24/2017 3:51:13 AM #9

Posted By Serverus at 7:56 PM - Sat Apr 22 2017

I can almost confirm this now...fair play won't happen. Especially not against criminals, thugs, bandits and dangerous individuals.

"Sometimes a swift Justice is unseen and unprepared for."

But everything else on the list seems like a prolific and encouraging vision.

Well done.

You have to be a pirate for the pirate's code to actually apply.

Likewise, you have to be a civilized knight for the code of chivalry to actually apply. If you're a filthy stinking heathen/heretic barbarian, or belong to some gradient therein, a chivalrous knight wouldn't be obligated to fight you fairly.

4/24/2017 4:09:27 AM #10

Posted By Jouten at 02:17 AM - Sun Apr 23 2017

"Honor is for the dead"

It's also said, "Never trust a traitor. Not even one you create." No matter how much anyone thinks that taking every advantage and stabbing anyone in the back will be the path to glory this simply is not the case. We see backstabbing in films and, ahem, //tv shows// a lot, but that is just a device to build drama in the story they are telling. It isn't because betrayers were particularly successful, or for that matter common, in actual real world history.

A traitor, of any kind, is the most universally hated and despised being in human history and will be murdered quite candidly by pretty much anyone who happens across them.

Furthermore, ideals like chivalry and honor in war were applied to other people who were also following the same rules. If your opponent isn't playing by the same rules you are only a lunatic would handicap himself.

However, A LOT of people have played by certain rules while remaining enemies, but they were able to do so because they considered each other civilized, they understood each other's goals and culture, and ultimately the conditions of the war and it's outcome were significantly less brutal for it. Take, for an example, how officers were treated when taken prisoner during the American Revolution. It was standard practice of the time and common to warfare of that age that when an officer was taken prisoner he would swear to a written parole agreement. Usually the agreement was just that he would not give intel to his own people or start fighting again. He was then permitted to go home. They just let him go home to his house, not to prison. Eventually he would get a letter saying that he had been officially freed via prisoner exchange thereby voiding his parole and he then proceeded, no longer being bound by oath, to go back to the war. This is REAL LIFE... again, not a tv show. This is how they literally did things back in the day. Like I said, A LOT of people have fought full on bloody conflicts while still abiding by certain rules and standards of mutual respect. However, if you prove yourself to be a duplicitous filthy barbarian heathen I am not going to play by the same rules with you as I would with someone I can actually trust.

Politically speaking, if you are known to be someone who breaks his word and betrays his allies do you honestly think you're going to get very far? No. Everyone is going to hate and distrust you. This isn't a tv show. "A good reputation is like a sheet of glass. A bad reputation is like a boulder."

4/24/2017 4:18:32 AM #11

Posted By Barleyman at 12:09 AM - Mon Apr 24 2017

"Honor is for the dead"

It's also said, "Never trust a traitor. Not even one you create." No matter how much anyone thinks that taking every advantage and stabbing anyone in the back will be the path to glory this simply is not the case. We see backstabbing in films and, ahem, //tv shows// a lot, but that is just a device to build drama in the story they are telling. It isn't because betrayers were particularly successful, or for that matter common, in actual real world history.

A traitor, of any kind, is the most universally hated and despised being in human history and will be murdered quite candidly by pretty much anyone who happens across them.

Furthermore, ideals like chivalry and honor in war were applied to other people who were also following the same rules. If your opponent isn't playing by the same rules you are only a lunatic would handicap himself.

However, A LOT of people have played by certain rules while remaining enemies, but they were able to do so because they considered each other civilized, they understood each other's goals and culture, and ultimately the conditions of the war and it's outcome were significantly less brutal for it. Take, for an example, how officers were treated when taken prisoner during the American Revolution. It was standard practice of the time and common to warfare of that age that when an officer was taken prisoner he would swear to a written parole agreement. Usually the agreement was just that he would not give intel to his own people or start fighting again. He was then permitted to go home. They just let him go home to his house, not to prison. Eventually he would get a letter saying that he had been officially freed via prisoner exchange thereby voiding his parole and he then proceeded, no longer being bound by oath, to go back to the war. This is REAL LIFE... again, not a tv show. This is how they literally did things back in the day. Like I said, A LOT of people have fought full on bloody conflicts while still abiding by certain rules and standards of mutual respect. However, if you prove yourself to be a duplicitous filthy barbarian heathen I am not going to play by the same rules with you as I would with someone I can actually trust.

Politically speaking, if you are known to be someone who breaks his word and betrays his allies do you honestly think you're going to get very far? No. Everyone is going to hate and distrust you. This isn't a tv show. "A good reputation is like a sheet of glass. A bad reputation is like boulder."

So, if im reading between the lines right, the moral is don't get caught.

4/24/2017 4:25:09 AM #12

Posted By Kyxsune at 10:18 PM - Sun Apr 23 2017

Posted By Barleyman at 12:09 AM - Mon Apr 24 2017

"Honor is for the dead"

Politically speaking, if you are known to be someone who breaks his word and betrays his allies do you honestly think you're going to get very far? No. Everyone is going to hate and distrust you. This isn't a tv show. "A good reputation is like a sheet of glass. A bad reputation is like boulder."

So, if im reading between the lines right, the moral is don't get caught.

My response: Practical Philosophy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu3v87_97Hc

6/13/2017 5:13:06 PM #13

After reading all this I really hope that there will be jousting tournaments :D

NA-WEST