COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Finally put my finger on it

So. I was just playing Mass Effect: Andromeda (I'll keep this spoiler free) and it dawned on me exactly why I'm excited for CoE. I'm enjoying Andromeda well enough for what it is. I don't want anybody to think I'm knocking the game, but it did provide me with an epiphany.

I was in the middle of a dialogue sequence in the lead up to a big mission. I was told that the instance I was going into had a number of security measures, had tons of enemy soldiers, and had a big boss at the end. Normally, that kind of set-up should keep a player on the edge of his or her seat, but I found it all rather tedious, because I knew the game had no intention of keeping its promise.

In a more involved game, "tons of enemies" would have meant that I needed to get a weapon that dealt area of effect damage, or that I should have been going out to get troops for a frontal invasion. Instead, I knew that the game was going to come up with a reason for me to be taking them on no more than about five at a time. Likewise, I knew that "security measures" just meant that I was going to spend most of the mission running around between control terminals.

Which brings me to my point. In Andromeda, the narrative is mostly separate from the gameplay. In CoE, the narrative is the gameplay. If you had to invade a fort in CoE, you need to get into the mindset of someone who is actually about to invade a fort. You don't get to skirt by on the virtue of being a protagonist. Even if you're just a soldier and somebody else has worked out the strategy and logistics, and even if the fight is going to be one-sided in your favour, you still need to consider each encounter based on its narrative.

I just figured I'd share that with you all. I'm not looking to invade any forts if I can avoid it in Elyria, since I'll be mostly trying to manage my two counties and my scribing/adventuring school. But, it's definitely what excites me most about CoE, and I'd love to hear what hypes everybody the most about the game.

4/19/2017 12:46:59 PM #1

Posted By Ebermensch at

Which brings me to my point. In Andromeda, the narrative is mostly separate from the gameplay. In CoE, the narrative is the gameplay.

This is a much deeper point than people will realise on face value.

When CoE narrates over a "king" it's not some motiveless empty NPC. It's a real person, who may or may not be on the PC that very moment, making his own plots and schemes, building his own army every second, building ways to prevent assassination...

4/19/2017 1:50:27 PM #2

The reason why I am so excited for this game!!

4/19/2017 2:43:32 PM #3

Options, lots of options.

Don't like what your King\Duchess\Count is doing with the realm?

• You could try and assassinate them, cost them some moola.
  • You could try and overthrow them, Cassus Belli
  • You could undermine one of their business ventures, steal the fur trade
  • You could destroy the statue of them in the city square.
  • Spread vicious rumours about them
  • Just up and leave for a new Kingdom

I'm sure others who have been here longer than I can be more creative.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

4/19/2017 4:53:09 PM #4

Posted By Ebermensch at

In CoE, the narrative is the gameplay. If you had to invade a fort in CoE, you need to get into the mindset of someone who is actually about to invade a fort. You don't get to skirt by on the virtue of being a protagonist. Even if you're just a soldier and somebody else has worked out the strategy and logistics, and even if the fight is going to be one-sided in your favour, you still need to consider each encounter based on its narrative.

Nailed it.

4/19/2017 4:57:42 PM #5

This is without a doubt the reason why I hope this game does well. Very few games out there like this.

Keep calm and worship the old gods.

4/19/2017 4:59:15 PM #6

The only problem with this post is that you're enjoying Andromeda :P.

Merchants Beware of Ashy Sails..

4/19/2017 5:32:55 PM #7

Posted By ZeroCool at 12:43 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

• Unleash rabid, starving pteroguins on their dinner party, ruining diplomatic relations with the rest of the continent.

• Feed their favourite mount to the poor, declaring it a gift of the king, leaving them angry and unable to retaliate without losing face in front of their people (if they know you did it at all)

• Follow their news distributers around town, beating and robbing them, stripping their notices off bulletin boards and generally being a nuisance by ensuring kingly decrees are never seen by the public

• Vandalise their estates with something offensive (and preferably amazing, because their own followers might then guilt them into leaving it up because they like it)

• Undermine their favourite restaurant, release starving pests into their larders on the night of a family outing (fun for the whole family!)

etc, etc...

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

4/19/2017 11:49:52 PM #8

I must say, since I've been involved with CoE all of the MMOs I've been playing just don't measure up to what I hope will be the most unique game and fun (time will tell) game I've ever played. I've basically lost interest in all of them which leaves me with the problem of finding something to play while I wait for the dam game (CoE) to be a reality. Sigh!!

Nicademus

4/19/2017 11:52:33 PM #9

Posted By Wolfguarde at 6:32 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

• Unleash rabid, starving pteroguins on their dinner party, ruining diplomatic relations with the rest of the continent.

• Feed their favourite mount to the poor, declaring it a gift of the king, leaving them angry and unable to retaliate without losing face in front of their people (if they know you did it at all)

• Follow their news distributers around town, beating and robbing them, stripping their notices off bulletin boards and generally being a nuisance by ensuring kingly decrees are never seen by the public

• Vandalise their estates with something offensive (and preferably amazing, because their own followers might then guilt them into leaving it up because they like it)

• Undermine their favourite restaurant, release starving pests into their larders on the night of a family outing (fun for the whole family!)

etc, etc...

• Ask them nicely to stop what they're doing...

No? Just me who didn't jump to aggressive action? Warmongers, the whole lot of you :P

4/20/2017 12:39:57 AM #10

I prefer rabid flower cup porcupines.

4/20/2017 5:01:52 AM #11

Posted By ThePsychopath at 09:52 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Wolfguarde at 6:32 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

etc, etc...

• Ask them nicely to stop what they're doing...

No? Just me who didn't jump to aggressive action? Warmongers, the whole lot of you :P

Naturally! That's where the fun is ;)

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

4/20/2017 5:31:40 AM #12

If I'm being honest, what hypes me the most about the game is that your fate is almost entirely in your own hands.

You want to go into that cave? Do it. There's no instance with a minimum level requirement, just grab your arms and armor and hope for the best.

You just want to breed horses? Do it. Open stables in every major city in your Duchy/Kingdom. Rake in that sweet horse money, and be renowned for the best steeds in the land.

Made enough money off your horses? Wanna switch things up? Hell, you're famous and rich now, overthrow that stupid count. You know the one I'm talking about.

And you can do all of that, within a few lifetimes in the same family. Hell, if you're committed enough you could do it all in one life time.

The only practical limitation on your story in this game is yourself, and that hypes me the most.

4/20/2017 11:14:17 AM #13

This will be the true test of my Harvest Moon skill.

4/20/2017 10:08:01 PM #14

Ooo I forgot one.

• Find their player created dungeon and rob them blind.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

4/21/2017 1:21:07 AM #15

Posted By Ritterbruder at 01:31 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

If I'm being honest, what hypes me the most about the game is that your fate is almost entirely in your own hands.

You want to go into that cave? Do it. There's no instance with a minimum level requirement, just grab your arms and armor and hope for the best.

You just want to breed horses? Do it. Open stables in every major city in your Duchy/Kingdom. Rake in that sweet horse money, and be renowned for the best steeds in the land.

Made enough money off your horses? Wanna switch things up? Hell, you're famous and rich now, overthrow that stupid count. You know the one I'm talking about.

And you can do all of that, within a few lifetimes in the same family. Hell, if you're committed enough you could do it all in one life time.

The only practical limitation on your story in this game is yourself, and that hypes me the most.

100% this for me.