COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
is my guild actually an association?

ok so i want to have a "guild" or a band of brothers(in arms) that will stick together through anything. i said it was a merc guild. but someone told me that its actually more of an association. does anyone know what my group is actually? Can it just be called a brotherhood?

United we stand. Divided we fall. Friend Code: ABF605 Click my Banner to find out more

4/19/2017 7:05:58 PM #1

this is the Dev journal about guilds. https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/1109/DJ-13-Technology-Research

I would say that your band is not a guild either, and probably an association. Call yourselves whatever you want

4/19/2017 7:06:16 PM #2

I think if its not related to a productive skill like tailoring or blacksmithing, you're better off calling it an association. Guilds in CoE seem to be collectives where exp/production bonuses are applied to a guildhall area. Of course, there could be bonuses to exp fighting, but from what I've seen its more geared towards making a certain craft more efficient.

4/19/2017 7:38:12 PM #3

Right. Guilds are for crafters or merchants of a specific type. If you want a gathering of random professions or of soldiers you are a clan or an association or something not a guild.

4/19/2017 8:17:01 PM #4

Posted By Varrgrym at

ok so i want to have a "guild" or a band of brothers(in arms) that will stick together through anything. i said it was a merc guild. but someone told me that its actually more of an association. does anyone know what my group is actually? Can it just be called a brotherhood?

Do not limit yourself, your band of brother might be whatever you want/can make it .

It will be an organisation, CoE provides three types of organisations, associations which are closer in structure to what other games clans/guilds are. They are focussed on social aspects and so far have not been described as linked to paper work or political structural bounds.

So yes, your band of brothers in arms can totally be an association.

But it can also be a guild... a guild is a type of organisation that provides some perks related to crafts and trade and in exchange ask for some formal charter signed with a count. It is not because the main activity of the member of your organisation can not be summarized by one skill that it can not be a guild. Caspian has mentioned assassin's guild and except if assassination is a skill i can not see how an assassin's guild would be more legit than a mercenary one ????

The main thing is that a guild is an organisation that focus on production of wealth and comes with more formal structure and bounds with local powers, things that are not totally into your hands.

Your mercenary outfit can also be a school !! , yes once again if most school are going to be more typical places of learning, Caspian told us about schools that were actually local militias.

A school is an organisation that comes with more formal structures and bounds to local powers in exchange for some perks on skill improvement and learning. So even if not obvious choice, nothing prevent you from trying to make your mercenary thing a school if you can secure support from the powers that need to sign charter with you.

There is no technical limitation, only practical and imagination limits.

4/19/2017 9:17:43 PM #5

Your band of brothers can literally be considered members in 5 different types of organizations. You are all citizen/members of a kingdom. You should probably all be members of the same family since the family bolstering mechanic is designed for adventuring groups. You can all be members of the same [combat oriented] school. You can then be members in the same champion or explorer guild. Finally you are all members of an association in which all of its members are jointly members in the same other organization types.

A real world analog might be a family trust owning a non-profit which subsequently creates both a school and a workers union while being based in a single country.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

4/19/2017 9:45:33 PM #6

Posted By Varrgrym at

Maybe this post will help you out.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17036/clarification-of-guilds-schools-and-other-types-groups

Alt text - can be left blank