COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Server Population Unconfirmed

Hey all,

I've been under the impression for some time now that there will be a combined 100,000 player and nonplayer characters per server. But recently Ive unearthed separate threads from Caeltori with different answers.

100,000 Players Source:
https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/18520/stuck-at-10000-or-so-players#post194704

200,000 Players Source: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/6334/world-too-big?page=2

So does anybody have any other confirmation of server size elsewhere? I cant find anything but the aforementioned.

Thanks!

Spreadsheets and bees.

4/20/2017 5:29:44 AM #1

Given the threads are from different years, I'd recommend going with the 2017 thread (100,000 PCs and NPCs combined), as the most reliable as it's the most up to date.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

4/20/2017 5:57:13 AM #2

100 000 combined population can not be right .....

a server will have 6 kingdoms , with 12 duchies each of 24 counties so a total of 6 * 12 * 24 = 1728 counties

if we split evenly the population we get 57.87 per county which is too low for A town, A as one so that mean no noble will be a mayor as there is no settlement large enough but on top no aristocrate will be possible because hey their is not even one settlement so no chance for any extra one.

If we search for a population spread that allow towns we get, 100 000 / 75 = 1 333.33 so 400 of the counties must be empty in order for the other counties to be able to host their noble.

Ok so we fixed the noble problem but wait we still have no room for all the aristocrates !!! so let say we go for a population of 150 instead of 75, 100 000 / 150 = 666.67 , so in order to be able to host ONE , yes 1 and only 1, aristocrate per county on top of the noble mean only 667 counties and of course 667 aristocrates for more than 1 000 empty counties.

It might be possible for sure but that is going to be a lot of empty land and a lot of people are going to have to relocate their mayors and barons because there is not going to be room for those in their county.

4/20/2017 7:03:11 AM #3

I was hoping we could have a max of 100k PC and 200k NPC. Which I heard on a months old out of date post now. Sure areas don't need to be overflowing. But at this rate it either feels like most areas will be low. Or some areas will be completely dead while a few capital cities will be high.

I love that the map is going to be huge, but if areas are going to be very low on people. Reminds me of some games that promote how big their world is, while it being mostly empty. I could see whole parts of kingdoms being dead zones. Simply cause who wants to run a county with crap all people in it?

4/20/2017 7:15:55 AM #4

Posted By Gunnlang at 3:03 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

I was hoping we could have a max of 100k PC and 200k NPC. Which I heard on a months old out of date post now. Sure areas don't need to be overflowing. But at this rate it either feels like most areas will be low. Or some areas will be completely dead while a few capital cities will be high.

I love that the map is going to be huge, but if areas are going to be very low on people. Reminds me of some games that promote how big their world is, while it being mostly empty. I could see whole parts of kingdoms being dead zones. Simply cause who wants to run a county with crap all people in it?

Someone in witness protection. Or someone with something to hide

4/20/2017 7:21:35 AM #5

Posted By markof at 1:57 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

a server will have 6 kingdoms , with 12 duchies each of 24 counties so a total of 6 * 12 * 24 = 1728 counties

if we split evenly the population we get 57.87 per county which is too low for A town, A as one so that mean no noble will be a mayor as there is no settlement large enough but on top no aristocrate will be possible because hey their is not even one settlement so no chance for any extra one.

If we search for a population spread that allow towns we get, 100 000 / 75 = 1 333.33 so 400 of the counties must be empty in order for the other counties to be able to host their noble.

Ok so we fixed the noble problem but wait we still have no room for all the aristocrates !!! so let say we go for a population of 150 instead of 75, 100 000 / 150 = 666.67 , so in order to be able to host ONE , yes 1 and only 1, aristocrate per county on top of the noble mean only 667 counties and of course 667 aristocrates for more than 1 000 empty counties.

It might be possible for sure but that is going to be a lot of empty land and a lot of people are going to have to relocate their mayors and barons because there is not going to be room for those in their county.

I think 1728 counties worth of space. But not all of the world has been expanded to. Nature needs somewhere to exist. To me that sounds a bout right for nature to have a buffer from people for its survival.

4/20/2017 10:00:20 AM #6

Posted By Reikan at 09:21 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By markof at 1:57 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

I think 1728 counties worth of space. But not all of the world has been expanded to. Nature needs somewhere to exist. To me that sounds a bout right for nature to have a buffer from people for its survival.

We are not really talking about space here populated or not there will be lots and lots of empty space.

The prologue is going to be a county and they already take long to run from the town to the village, by long we mean the same amount of time that you spend in other games to cross the world.

here we talk about what 100 000 souls mean for political structure and organisation.

The 667 number of populated counties is the raw number if all population is scatered into towns. if we take into account the capitals and cities we shrink to only 600 populated counties on the server (and that mean all population is in a town or larger , no small settlements)

that mean is distributed equally, each kingdom will only have 100 populated counties of the 288 counties they have. 34.72 % neerly 1/3 if that is again well distributed among the duchies it means duchies will each only have 9 populated counties, one for the duke, so only 8 left for counts with a grand total of only 9 aristocrates.......

preaty sure those are far below what the largest communities need.

And remember that we are talking about weel spread things, generated is rarelly well spread, if we really go for 100 000 souls per server prepare for some chaos at domain selection!

4/20/2017 11:37:39 AM #7

Maybe some of the counties people will start with only have a hamlet in them and a dozen people. But if they also have a lot of rare resources...Then you may not be count of much right away but you have tons of potential.

4/20/2017 12:10:53 PM #8

Posted By Reikan at 5:15 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Someone in witness protection. Or someone with something to hide

Well at least there always be enough hiding spots for bandits. If anything maybe too much land to hide in.

4/20/2017 1:25:11 PM #9

Posted By markof at 12:57 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

I think the best way to interpret a 100,000 server population is that urbanization is guaranteed to happen. In order for any town to even exist, uneven player distribution is required.

As with everything SBS does, this runs parallel to real life. There will be one large capital in a kingdom along with a metro area of towns decreasing in size as distance from the capital increases. Proximity to power matters.

If we're looking for a silver lining, it can make for interesting storytelling. People raised in a village will differ greatly from those raised in an urban environment.

Spreadsheets and bees.

4/20/2017 1:36:43 PM #10

yeah but when they say the amount of counties, i dont think they are talking as if there is 1 count for each county. They are just dividing up the Entire amount of land that there is and then saying how many counties there would be if all the land was evenly split into counties. And evenly split into duchys and evenly split into kingdoms

But in the real game it wont be evenly split, and thats why being an adventurer can really matter. I live in western australia, there is definitely alot of unused empty space between here and a town in the middle of the state.

It makes sense to not visit large deserted areas but then at the same time they are the most unexplored and so more chance to stumble on something not seen before.

4/20/2017 1:43:43 PM #11

Posted By Reikan at 08:36 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

yeah but when they say the amount of counties, i dont think they are talking as if there is 1 count for each county. They are just dividing up the Entire amount of land that there is and then saying how many counties there would be if all the land was evenly split into counties.

Im pretty sure when they say there's 24 counties in a duchy they actually mean thats how many counties there will be. Even if few people live in a county, there will still be a count ruling it. To follow your australian outback analogy, it's not like those lands are unclaimed. They just have few inhabitants. Same goes here. The unexplored wilderness is just far away from cities and towns or any major civilization. Youll still stumble across the mishappen hamlet or hermit's shack.

Spreadsheets and bees.

4/20/2017 2:00:48 PM #12

I may be wrong, but i interpreted the numbers as the maximum that could be in the game, since some people may try to detatch themselves from their counts there will be aneed for more counties than the initial. In that sense a duchy may be divided into a maximum of 36 a kingdom in 12... But at the beginnig being leass counties, duchies per kingodm,

4/20/2017 2:23:51 PM #13

This might be a good question for the upcoming Q&A.

Shieldwall Strong!

4/20/2017 2:41:43 PM #14

It was already largely answered. There will just be counts in game with nothing but a lot of land. Those will probably be NPC counts to start if everyone wants some kind of larger settlement to put their county seat in but you may find that a few PC counts like choosing a big open county and starting from nearly scratch. Not every count will have even a city sized settlement to rule the county from. I'll bet the game will even have some counts who aren't mayors because their settlement isn't large enough yet (or they were usurped by a new mayor).

4/20/2017 3:14:23 PM #15

i would agree with the population clustering

consider this picture of the world at night and notice that some areas are VERY populated, whilst others are totally desolate population wise

my understanding of CoE is that it is a game that isn't balanced in the sense of 'OK - everybody gets a piece of equally sized land, with equal amount of population, resources, coast access' and anything else you can think of

it is being purposely set up to be UNEQUAL, so that groups living in less desirable areas look with envy at their neighbors and plot as to how to get their hands on the goodies, be that through conquest, intrigue, economic warfare, teaming up with other 'under-privileged' groups etc

for me this is one of the key underlying concepts and philosophies of the entire game

this core philosophy extends to why an incredibly small percentage of people will ever be a king, or legendary in their profession of choice, or have a talent

the game IS the story of the epic struggle of how we as players try to get it all to work in our favor (even on a local level), whilst competing with and against other groups who are trying to get it all to work in their favor also

think you're friends with the other mayor/baron in your county at the moment? - wait until game starts and they create a situation where they are attracting all the NPC's from miles and miles around - including YOURS - and you are left with nobody to bring in the crops, chop wood, defend your town etc - maybe you works things out amicably - maybe you don't - it's going to be awesome!

the inevitable subsequent 'squabbles' from all of this on a micro scale is an intended foundation for ongoing conflict on a macro level

add in the huge player populations and the potential for fun in this game is on an epic scale