COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Talents and Unintentional Item Contracts

Hello everyone!

This topic interests me a lot because I love the idea of one day you are plowing the land and your character notices a shiny object unearthed. You go and investigate and find out you just discovered a ring that looks pretty amazing, so you try it on. In the process and unknowned to you, you just inherited a talent. This talent is necromancy! You discover this talent when your no good, evil doing mayor decides he wants you to pay more taxes "under the table" to him directly, but you refuse. He then decides to burn your home with your children and wife inside. You are so enraged with hatred and grief all of the sudden you notice your hands starting to glow, and out from the rubble of your destroyed home comes your wife and children. You are confused and start to wonder how in the world did they survive. Upon investigating you discover these things that were once your family are mindless zombies that bend to your will. Realizing what power you have you raise the dead from your towns cemetery to exact revenge on the person who did you wrong. You storm your mayor's villa with your new army and slaughter his entire family only to raise him from the dead to become your puppet. After this is over you notice not only did your army slaughter the mayor and his family but the entire village. You did not want this to happen and you start to feel your army slipping from your control, and suddenly you black out and awaken in some sort of spiritual plane. Standing in front of you is this evil entity who congratulates you on a job well done and informs you this is only the beginning. He then tells you the ring once belonged to him and now your souls are infused and if you don't bow to him, he will consume your soul and be stuck in this terrible spiritual plane forever. You are suddenly awoken in the town you once knew that is now over runned with zombies of people you once knew, and you can feel what your purposes is in this world. This purpose is have the whole world bow down to your new Lord and enslave everyone to him. Using your once home as a base of operations you start to gain a grip on more and more territory, and soon your infant is know throughout the land and kings now are preparing to deal with this new threat. What happens then! Well that is for another time. :)

This is just an example of what I believe and would like to see. Of course this is just an example and items can give different things not only talents but this is some story I just came up with and enjoyed writing just now. I would love to hear what your suggestions or stories are when you think of these topics!

4/24/2017 5:27:22 PM #1

An entertaining read. It's good to see some backstory, but the odds of such a talent are incredibly low.

We're talking 5% or players having a talent. Of those, there might be 100 talents or more from the trivial crafting or professional aptitudes to the rare magic skills.

Let's suppose there's a 1% chance of a talent being necromancy. That puts you at a 5% of 1% chance of having it ie 0.05% or 1 in 2,000.

The next catch is that to activate or discover you have a talent requires the right circumstances. For a rare talent like that, it might require an evil alignment, specific bardic skills to read rather than the usual deviancy, as well as a certain artifact which every other would be necro plans to steal from you. Your odds of discovering and activating the skill mught be 10%.

Your total odds now are 0.005% or 1 in 20,000 during each lifetime, so don't plan your game around it.

4/24/2017 6:54:31 PM #2

I understand how rare it would be, it was just a story; I was like "you know what that would be pretty cool if it did happen". I know the chances are slim but the fact that something like this could be a possiblity makes me very excited! I for one am not planning on something this crazy to happen to my character, nor am I going to be upset when I learn I'm just some nobody in this world just living my story out. Same goes with any other ability; not having one will not break this game for me. I'm just excited and want to hear what other crazy stories people have in their head when they think of things like this!

4/24/2017 8:31:55 PM #3

Talents will be rare across the board and you have to take the good with the bad (yes there can be a downside to a talent as well). So if I get a talent then great, but I am not going to hold my breath. There are also Relics to be found or possibly sold from shops that need to be examined and figured out as well. So by combining talents and relics, the pool gets larger and hopefully the rarity of special abilities increases to a point to where I just might try to hold my breath until I get one.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the