COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Story Points Question

I went and read the original posts about story points, but I'm still missing some info that I hope someone can clarify if they have heard or not from the devs or others posts.

Obviously, as you're making more contributions to the story of CoE (ie being higher social ranking), you get a modifier to earn more points quicker, but you die equally times faster.

What It DID NOT clarify, is what happens to the points after your life? Here's what I am hoping someone can inform me on:

1: Do your points reset after the purchase of a spark or are they a universal account currency that you can build up over lifetimes?

2: Say if you're a king, you are making 32 times more story points, but you also die 32 times faster; does a spark of life into a royal family line cost more than a lower social standing, or is there just a singular standard "Spark" and it doesn't matter what standing your family is?

4/24/2017 8:55:52 PM #1

well the sparks of life are all 25 dollars at the moment per the online store. Other question I have no idea what happens to the story points. (also the king gets 21 sparks of life so they are set for a long time.)

4/24/2017 9:03:12 PM #2

My thought is that you just keep the story points & build them up over your lifetime(s), but I could be wrong. Though it would be really difficult to get enough for a spark if they clear upon death.

4/24/2017 9:37:25 PM #3
  1. We don't know. I would guess that they build up over time, but I don't think we've had a clear indication either way.

2. One of the primary things story points will be used for is choosing your heir. The title, age, reputation, skills, and wealth that NPC has will effect how many story points it will cost to play as that character.

Shieldwall Strong!

5/15/2017 2:28:05 PM #4

Posted By CommonlyQuixotic at 5:37 PM - Mon Apr 24 2017

1. We don't know. I would guess that they build up over time, but I don't think we've had a clear indication either way.

2. One of the primary things story points will be used for is choosing your heir. The title, age, reputation, skills, and wealth that NPC has will effect how many story points it will cost to play as that character.

why would anyone want to start from scratch? and lose all their progress from their first character. Story points shouldn't be used to erase what you have done... That just doesn't make sense.

5/15/2017 2:53:54 PM #5

Posted By Gunghoe at 09:28 AM - Mon May 15 2017

Posted By CommonlyQuixotic at 5:37 PM - Mon Apr 24 2017

why would anyone want to start from scratch? and lose all their progress from their first character. Story points shouldn't be used to erase what you have done... That just doesn't make sense.

I've been a vocal opponent of SPs being used to purchase the ability to play your heir since the idea was introduced.

Seems a dumb artificial barrier designed to make it far more difficult to hold onto a title than it should be. Ie a title holder already has to beat those who wish to usurp their title from the lower ranks, survive rebellions from their NPC citizens, survive external wars of their kingdom, and survive attacks from deviants. So now let's add some random multiplier to an abstract measuring stick on how SBS judges the nobles impact on the "story" to see if they can hold onto their title.

Is now and will likely always be a dumb mechanic to me. I have yet to hear a truely good explanation as to why a game built on choices and player based conflict an artificial "gate" has to be placed. Sure no one one of wants an absentee noble to hold onto their title from one generation to the next. But if they are truely such a poor leader the mechanics are already in place to depose them. And if the folks who want to remove them cannot get the job done obviously the noble is doing something right and should be allowed to hold onto the title.

5/15/2017 3:28:02 PM #6

Posted By Malais at 09:53 AM - Mon May 15 2017

Seems a dumb artificial barrier designed to make it far more difficult to hold onto a title than it should be. Ie a title holder already has to beat those who wish to usurp their title from the lower ranks, survive rebellions from their NPC citizens, survive external wars of their kingdom, and survive attacks from deviants. So now let's add some random multiplier to an abstract measuring stick on how SBS judges the nobles impact on the "story" to see if they can hold onto their title.

I have the same concerns as you do about SP and retaining titles. But as long as spending the average time recommended for each title tier a week doing activities that support your domain earns you enough SP to continue on with your title, then I am "fine" with the system.

5/15/2017 3:30:13 PM #7

Posted By Gunghoe at 5:28 PM - Mon May 15 2017

Story points do not erase anything, they just let you continue to play in another body when your previous one runs out of life - some bodies are more expensive than others, nobles will cost more points to inhabit than a common farmer.

Your soul lives on with some memory of the past life, skills you have used before are quicker to learn again.

Famous characters earn their points much quicker, so as long as they are taking part in the ongoing story they should have no problems to maintain their rank.

If they do not take part - the story has no use of them and someone else can get the chance to step up.

6/11/2017 2:27:11 AM #8

So, I was just out re-reading DJ 17 https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/4683/DJ-17-Bolstering-EarntoPlay where SP are mentioned. I don't think anything beyond the whole title inheriting thing has been mentioned (I could've missed something) for things to spend SP on, beyond sparks. I was wondering if anyone wanted to volunteer reasonable uses for SP besides these two things? I don't know if my creativity is failing me, or what, but I'm having a hard time thinking of much else we would spend these on. All I could come up with so far:

• Buying into the body of an NPC Mayor/Baron, Countess, etc. Similar to the spending SP to retain title on your heir. Obvious constraint on there being a titled NPC to take over. Something some people might do, but I'd sort of hate to abandon my created bloodline...

• Buffing starting base line of skills on the character you body jump into. This seems very meh, but maybe doable if the cost increases exponentially based on level raised or there was maybe a hard cap of "you can only bump this through SP as high as Apprentice level" or something.

Knight Chancellor of Ironholde - Servant of Serverus, Lord of Ironholde - Darkholm Dutchy - Kingdom of Blackheart

6/11/2017 3:17:10 AM #9

The first thing to establish is the purpose of Story Points and how they work. Story Points are a sort of 'currency' that you attain by being an active participant in the game's overarching story. This can mean anything from running an inn to participating in the Dance or helping progress technology. We haven't been told exactly how the distribution of Story Points will work–particularly on what basis they'll be awarded–but they will be calculated through a multiplier based on the sum of one's fame, reputation, and/or social class. These multipliers are as follows: Notable x1.5, Prominent x2, Famous x4, Renowned x8, Exalted x16, Legendary x32.

As was mentioned before, the multiplier applies to both your death toll and the number of Story Points a person will receive for any given action. While an unknown person will receive no multiplier for discovering something, for example, a King on the other hand would receive 32 times the story points. It has been stated that, generally speaking, a noble/aristocrat will achieve the number of story points needed to spark into their heir within three months of normal play, so I don't think it is something that needs to be worried about.

The main purpose of story points is to spark into your heir, meant to bar nobles who don't actually do their jobs from continuing in that position. We've also been told that, with story points, we'll be able to purchase a Spark of Life, but it is expected to take multiple lifetimes of playing before that much is achieved–at least for an unknown character. (From that alone, I suppose you can gather that they do not disappear after every spark.)

For your second question, there seems to be a misconception; a spark of life is the same price across the board, but to spark into a monarch (or any other legendary character) will cost significantly more Story Points than to spark into a notable or prominent character.

Beyond that, we don't necessarily know if Story Points will be used for anything else, let alone what they'll be used for.

6/11/2017 4:05:16 AM #10

I did the reading, and even linked the article. I know that we don't have any official indications of other uses for them. DJ 17 did say this, though:

But why would these Story Points encourage people to be online? Because the currency can be spent in-between lifetimes in order to improve their lot in life during their next lifetime. Also… they can lead to free game-play.

So I was polling to see if anyone had any interesting and reasonable ideas to throw out there, beyond what we already know. Maybe this will end up being it, but if there are other good options that would be cool.

Knight Chancellor of Ironholde - Servant of Serverus, Lord of Ironholde - Darkholm Dutchy - Kingdom of Blackheart