COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Eco Terrorism/Warfare

"A woman lurks across the forest floor, a trail of oil in her wake. In the canopy above, Kypiq sing and dance in celebration of another successful harvest. They see not the shadow creeping in the darkness below or the glistening ichor she leaves in her wake. The woman makes her way to the forest's edge, her task complete save for one small detail. A tiny spark, to set the forest ablaze."

With mechanics being in game that make it possible to harvest resources to the point they no longer exist, at least within an area, we should be mindful of how these mechanics could be twisted into a form of warfare or "griefing".

Being a RPPvPer myself, I see this as a perfectly viable though insidious tactic. Lighting a Kypiq forest on fire could cause incredible damage in theory and I'm not even referring to the Kypiq lives potentially being lost. The trees themselves would be lost along with most other vegetation. Any animals reliant on such plants as food sources would migrate elsewhere or starve. The Kypiq themselves may even migrate due to the biome shift. The damage to the county could be astronomical in the long run, just from a little spark set off in the right place at the right time.

Obviously, we do have means of defending against this. Going off the running example, a particularly wary Kypiq village may have sentries that spot the fire early and even a team of "firefighters" or at least a bucket brigade of sorts prepped for this exact scenario. In the cases of those who aren't so wary of ecological disaster, this could be a very deadly tactic with far reaching consequences.

How do you all feel about this? Do you think this is a fair means of warfare? What if a Kingdom, Duchy, County or otherwise has a sort of "state sponsored" group of eco terrorists under their wing? How would you respond if such an unusual act of aggression was used against you, provided you realized it was a human act and not an act of nature that caused the disaster?

4/26/2017 11:30:19 PM #16

As I should have said earlier, everything also needs to stay on a level that a single griefer can't ruin everything.

4/27/2017 11:10:24 AM #17

I think possibly more dangerous than people deliberately salting the earth is eco-terrorists in the more conventional sense (nut cases who blow up buildings or commit murder cause someone looked at a whale funny or tested a drug on an animal before killing a human with it).

Already there are groups in recruitment that have made it their mission to 'protect nature' and I expect as our need for resources grows (and easily tapped resources diminish) we will turn in game to resource extraction in areas formerly occupied by some animals. I can see these groups (and groups looking for an excuse to grief) acting violently against innocent miners and log cutters in order to 'protect the land'

Coming Soon(tm)