COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Seeking Information regarding Parcels and IP

My girlfriend and I both purchased Ursaphant on the kickstarter and haven't been on the website in a LONG time, nor have we really followed the updates all that in depth. I've found some journals talking about construction but when I used the search function I couldn't find much about parcels and the whole IP aspect of them. I think it'll be easier just explaining our situation.

We've just 4400 IP between the two of us and our vision is this...

• a house
  • a tavern
  • a stable
  • farmland
  • ranching land

Our vision is a small hamlet (maybe?) that acts as the go-to pitstop for any and all adventuring needs. We are talking food, drink, weapon repair, etc etc.

4/26/2017 9:30:43 AM #1

The EP store isn't open yet, so prices may change.

I should say in advance though that I don't know how many players plan for multiple businesses. Obviously, the more businesses you plan to own personally, the lower your chances become of finding workers for them all as they may have their own aspirations too. Most likely easier to achieve, regardless of EP cost, if you work with other players who aim to run one or more of those supporting trades.

Anyway, in terms of costs, I happen to have a little over that in EP and looked previously so have a pretty good idea. Note if you work with a count, you may not need to buy EP plots for all of this - they may just zone land and attact residents.. at that pooint you might just rent one of the 4 plots and build your businesses on it.

This is therefore an exaggerated cost, assuming you're planning to "buy" everything yourself rather than working with other people, and you're happy to take on board the risk of empty shops, trying to find workers etc.

ORIGINAL COSTS:

EP PLOT 400 x 4 = 1600 (For a hamlet, assuming you don't plan to work with anyone else, which would be a shame). Each comes with a small commercial building, which may include Store / Tailor / Library / Leatherworker / Glassworker / Carpenter / Map shop / Alchemy lab / Paper Mill / Mason / Smithy / Tavern etc. Perhaps a Stable. However, I'm pretty sure they said some of that list require larger buildings including Taverns.

Wooden house x 1 = 500 (Assuming you don't want a smaller cottage for 225)

Wooden Tavern x 1 = 400 (Assuming it's too big for small!)

Total 2500.

Your "land" for farming is potentially included above within the plots. Now there are some catches. Firstly, you'll get no workers with no homes. Either you need to look at adding houses for commercials, the cheapest being wooden 4 shacks coming in at 100 each. You'll likely want rooms in your tavern for adventurers too - I think it was ballpark about the same for those, bringing your total closer to 3,000.

You've got some breathing room for a breeding pair of animals to get your started then too.

Looks feasible on paper, but if you plan to buy everything and be fully independant you're in for an uphill struggle. A smithy will need a house to live in. He'll also need a source of iron to work. Don't assume any such hamlet will be entirely independant. A tinker might supply his mining tools, using metal and perhaps carved handles from a carpenter. The smaller the settlement as a rule, the more you'll be a jack of all trades, and the less able you'll be at any one profession - that's why it's well worth working with other players.

The reality is that as far as I'm aware, EVERY profession within elyria will have interdependancies on other trades. Thus, you will most likely want to make use of a merchants wagon if you plan to do most of the above, to ensure your hemlet remains well stocked with all that it needs, by trading your goods elsewhere.

Hopefully once the well overdue selection (none of us can wait - we're all too excited) process happens you'll be able to make more solid plans and organise things with other locals. You might find it simpler to look for a spot where there's a few NPCs already, perhaps half a dozen with little development, maybe a single farm, woodcutter etc. From there, you could add the tavern, and ranch etc, and you're up and running. Spend the rest on stock, more houses etc.

4/26/2017 9:40:40 AM #2

Just to clarify before you make too many plans: IP isn't a currency, it's EP that you'll use to purchase parcels, buildings etc in exposition.

During Kickstarter we had 'Influence' and 'Influence Points' (IP) where IP was the currency.

Now we have 'Influence' and 'Exposition Points' (EP) which is just a renamed IP to prevent confusion.

Ursaphant Rider tier gets you 400 EP each to spend, plus some store credit and whatever else you've spent on top of Ursaphant Rider.

4/26/2017 9:50:01 AM #3

Posted By Barghest at 10:40 AM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Just to clarify before you make too many plans: IP isn't a currency, it's EP that you'll use to purchase parcels, buildings etc in exposition.

During Kickstarter we had 'Influence' and 'Influence Points' (IP) where IP was the currency.

Now we have 'Influence' and 'Exposition Points' (EP) which is just a renamed IP to prevent confusion.

Ursaphant Rider tier gets you 400 EP each to spend, plus some store credit and whatever else you've spent on top of Ursaphant Rider.

I'm assuming at this stage he means EP not IP, but hopefully he'll advise if that's the case or not lol. I hadn't spotted that :)

If they have 400 EP each, the best course would presumably be to buy a large 1 story wooden tavern ie for 400 EP, and a cottage ie for 225. They could add some EP through "addons" in the store to buy breeding animals or simply look to aquire them in game and rent a pasture to begin.

4/26/2017 11:52:17 AM #4

Yeah if they have 4,400 EP they have a fairly decent base with which to buy everything they need. Even to the extent of upgrading the quality of their furniture and buildings

800 odd EP they can definitely get some basics but they'd have to rent (or buy ingame with ingame currency) the farmland and ranching land.

IRL it takes roughly an acre to feed single person for a full year (using hand tools and non-GM crops) which equates to one plot of land. This assumes a mix of grains and legumes with a small 'kitchen garden' to provide variety.

Ranching requires even more land. While individual species and breeds will vary it is a fairly good bet that per animal you'll get about 50% of that in meat (this does increase fairly substantially if you decide to eat the offal and use the bones for stock making) so for many smaller herds it becomes better to ranch for dairy and only kill one or two cows a year (at roughly 500kg a cow two dead cows give roughly 135g of meat a day which is fairly decent for a peasant family). For cattle, you require two acres per cow which ends up being fairly land intensive given that 10 cows is a fairly average sustainable number.

Coming Soon(tm)

4/27/2017 9:24:34 AM #5

Posted By chipla at 12:52 PM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Yeah if they have 4,400 EP they have a fairly decent base with which to buy everything they need. Even to the extent of upgrading the quality of their furniture and buildings

800 odd EP they can definitely get some basics but they'd have to rent (or buy ingame with ingame currency) the farmland and ranching land.

IRL it takes roughly an acre to feed single person for a full year (using hand tools and non-GM crops) which equates to one plot of land. This assumes a mix of grains and legumes with a small 'kitchen garden' to provide variety.

Ranching requires even more land. While individual species and breeds will vary it is a fairly good bet that per animal you'll get about 50% of that in meat (this does increase fairly substantially if you decide to eat the offal and use the bones for stock making) so for many smaller herds it becomes better to ranch for dairy and only kill one or two cows a year (at roughly 500kg a cow two dead cows give roughly 135g of meat a day which is fairly decent for a peasant family). For cattle, you require two acres per cow which ends up being fairly land intensive given that 10 cows is a fairly average sustainable number.

Good explanation ;) Sort of details I overlook lol

4/27/2017 10:29:37 AM #6

Posted By Oracle at 10:24 AM - Thu Apr 27 2017

>

Interestingly if you're keeping livestock - chicken is the best land to output (both eggs and meat) livestock to farm followed by pigs (though pigs are just for meat)

Coming Soon(tm)

4/27/2017 12:26:37 PM #7

Posted By chipla at 06:29 AM - Thu Apr 27 2017

Posted By Oracle at 10:24 AM - Thu Apr 27 2017

>

Interestingly if you're keeping livestock - chicken is the best land to output (both eggs and meat) livestock to farm followed by pigs (though pigs are just for meat)

Don't forget pig shit.

4/27/2017 1:50:53 PM #8

Kind of hard to say how much you would be able to get. If you really do have 4400 EP and not IP. Since the store was taken down and last I heard the numbers may all be changing.

Within saying all that, you should be able to set yourself up nicely. How much land will cost using EP no one knows. The house can cost you something crazy, but if you just aim for a modest house, it be fine.

You can see how much EP you have when you are in the store. Tells you in the upper right corner. Just below your name, kind of small.

4/27/2017 3:12:25 PM #9

I am a magistrate and only get 2000 exposition points and a villa. Waiting to see what my town starts with before I plan what buildings i need to purchase. Like you my wife wants a tavern /inn would like 2 story building with stable. Looking at the wiki CoE costs and hearing these will be updated. Would be nice to see a updated costs for building and all that are available in store. Give me a rough idea how many building I can afford.

hamlets

I wonder how many people will be settling up hamlets? And how will that effect settlements that build up to there borders?

off topic

How much will the tribes effect the structure appearance? Or will they all start off the same until we unlock further designs? Think I heard in Q&A that tribes would effect designs.