COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Recruitment and spies

I see this game gonna have a lot of spies joining guilds to get information about troop movements,plans etc.

I have been a recuiter on an other MMO game and they have a tool where a new recruit can create a key that recruiter can look a lot of information about the recruit,as transactions,assets,mails,skills etc,which can give a hint of it could be a spy. The key can be used as long he is in guild.

Is there any such tool for recruiter or any plans to make such in future?

4/26/2017 2:15:29 PM #1

I hope not, that doesn't sound fun at all. I understand keeping your information safe but spies should be able to have their own gameplay as well..If you don't trust someone you should shadow them and intercept their mail yourself or have someone else do it..Not have the game do the work for you...

4/26/2017 2:59:08 PM #2

Spies are a known and expected quantity.

Per Caspian ..

2:00 PM - Sun Dec 18 2016 #26 Regarding espionage and alts - that's a known quantity, and is by design.

That's why in-game chat always uses your character name, and chat channels always use your User Alias.

It's entirely possible to be talking in a chat channel and be standing next to someone also talking in the channel and have no idea.

It's also why, while we have user accounts here on the website now - we will be opening up, at some point, character-based forums and experiences. This is the main reason we haven't done more with recruitment UI, etc...

Because when you recruit for an in-game organization or domain we want it to be with your in-game persona. So while the Kings in particular have gone out and exposed who they are and which Kingdom will be theirs, that was never our intention.

It's entirely possible to be a Count, and have nobody know which count you are. It's also not possible to determine from the Influence table who's a Count and who just happens to have 5,000+ Influence.

Source

4/26/2017 3:30:31 PM #3

Posted By Deftly at 08:15 AM - Wed Apr 26 2017

I hope not, that doesn't fun at all. I understand keeping your information safe but spies should be able to have their own gameplay as well..If you don't trust someone you should shadow them and intercept their mail yourself or have someone else do it..Not have the game do the work for you...

This! Part of the gameplay is determining who can be trusted and who can't. To take away the risk would also take away from the Story. :)

4/26/2017 4:41:04 PM #4

You could have in game counter espionage agents of your own. People that you trust to protect you town, county, dutchy, or even kingdom. Just like our governments have counter espionage or terrorism units. That could be fun and provide a whole new profession to look into.

4/26/2017 4:53:27 PM #5

I know this maybe in poor form, but if you want to know/understand how spies may or may not operate, check out General Warfare- Tactics & Strategy. Spies will be very busy when exposition begins. Heck, I bet some kingdoms may have spies in their ranks now.

https://discord.gg/esT7wMN

4/26/2017 6:24:14 PM #6

Posted By Malais at 09:59 AM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Per Caspian ..

2:00 PM - Sun Dec 18 2016 #26 So while the Kings in particular have gone out and exposed who they are and which Kingdom will be theirs, that was never our intention.

If it was never their intention for players to reveal who they were, why on earth did they create a "Guild Recruitment" forum? Surely they knew this would be meta-breaking??

My prior critique of this recruitment forum was mainly from a "it's way too early" standpoint, but this is a more serious, game altering complaint. People will use OOC knowledge to affect IG actions. Unfortunately, that horse has now left the barn (although maybe the damage can be contained by locking it until the appropriate tools and time are upon us?). :/

Friend Code: 4AC3A3

4/26/2017 6:46:25 PM #7

Go here if you find you share the same questions pertaining to this subject as I do. As the questions get discussed and answered by members of the community, you will gain more knowledge on such curiosities...

Myrkul is always with us...

4/26/2017 6:58:09 PM #8

Posted By COECipher at 1:24 PM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Per Caspian ..

2:00 PM - Sun Dec 18 2016 #26 So while the Kings in particular have gone out and exposed who they are and which Kingdom will be theirs, that was never our intention.

If it was never their intention for players to reveal who they were, why on earth did they create a "Guild Recruitment" forum? Surely they knew this would be meta-breaking??

My prior critique of this recruitment forum was mainly from a "it's way too early" standpoint, but this is a more serious, game altering complaint. People will use OOC knowledge to affect IG actions. Unfortunately, that horse has now left the barn (although maybe the damage can be contained by locking it until the appropriate tools and time are upon us?). :/

Umm it's a mmo. People will always metagame when in a competitive MMO. Whether it's through vent or voice coms, multiboxing, multiple characters, or hints/online guides.

Not sure what your complaint is?

4/26/2017 7:06:52 PM #9

Agree that spies and counter spies is part of the game,but a tool would clear the less experienced spies,so we wont have them everywhere. A experienced spy will know how to avoid leave traces in their key,but some of them does finally make misstake (example get payment from enemy or send a mail to them).

When a kingdom or countie starts loosing/destroyed expensive assets/buildings (if that possible) and your people get killed a lot because of spies in every corner,then everybody will get PARANOID,but thats also part of the game :D

The idea is to make spies life a bit harder

4/26/2017 7:10:39 PM #10

Posted By Malais at 2:58 PM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Posted By COECipher at 1:24 PM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Per Caspian ..

Umm it's a mmo. People will always metagame when in a competitive MMO. Whether it's through vent or voice coms, multiboxing, multiple characters, or hints/online guides.

Agreed, this an mmo. Just because the Power Gamers haven't showed up yet (not enough info to attract them), doesn't mean they don't exist.

4/26/2017 7:11:41 PM #11

Posted By Malais at 1:58 PM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Not my complaint. To reiterate what I said:

It's merely a rhetorical device. I'm saying, if you don't want players exposing themselves (at least at this juncture), then don't give them the tools by which to do that.

Friend Code: 4AC3A3

4/26/2017 7:18:10 PM #12

Posted By Falcon_ at 8:06 PM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Agree that spies and counter spies is part of the game,but a tool would clear the less experienced spies,so we wont have them everywhere. A experienced spy will know how to avoid leave traces in their key,but some of them does finally make misstake (example get payment from enemy or send a mail to them).

So what you're saying is that in a game where there is no automatic mail system or any automatic payments system you some tool to digitally track that so you can spy on people. Do you want an IP trace so you can find out who they talk to on discord? How about access to their email and phone accounts? While we're at it let's just have them followed incase they meet with someone in person.

Do it ingame if it bothers you so much. Subvert the guy who delivers mail or watch who has more money to spend than someone who has the same job as them. There are plenty of tools existing ingame already to find out if someone is a spy demanding API tracking in a game where espionage is a valid PvP tactic is a poor solution to your inability to accurately judge people and their motivations.

Coming Soon(tm)

4/26/2017 7:47:06 PM #13

Posted By COECipher at 11:24 AM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Actually, it isn't meta-breaking. It's easy to remain anonymous in game and still rep your group in the forums.. It's as simple as naming your in game character something entirely different from a forum name. Think of your forum name as an Alias.. as for most people, it actually is. No one's gonna know who's who unless said person doesn't think to stick with their own meta and use a different name to go by.

TL;DR - It's not meta-breaking if people aren't dumb about it...

4/26/2017 7:57:01 PM #14

Posted By chipla at 12:18 PM - Wed Apr 26 2017

So what you're saying is that in a game where there is no automatic mail system or any automatic payments system you some tool to digitally track that so you can spy on people. Do you want an IP trace so you can find out who they talk to on discord? How about access to their email and phone accounts? While we're at it let's just have them followed incase they meet with someone in person.

Do it ingame if it bothers you so much. Subvert the guy who delivers mail or watch who has more money to spend than someone who has the same job as them. There are plenty of tools existing ingame already to find out if someone is a spy demanding API tracking in a game where espionage is a valid PvP tactic is a poor solution to your inability to accurately judge people and their motivations.

Let's not forget finding who they are irl and searching for their social security information as well so we can fully assume their identity... Yeah, no not gonna happen lol. I HIGHLY doubt that the devs will hate spies so much as to make a "one tool fix all" method of discovering them. CoE will be like the real world in this regard: be aware of your surroundings and don't get too comfortable when you feel at peace. If you have things to hide, make sure they're well-guarded and never.. NEVER go anywhere without a weapon of sorts. As far as detecting spies goes, there's actually going to be a tracking ability pertaining to survival skills that will help make this of less concern to you.

Just curious, though - are you planning to become a Sherlock Holmes of sorts on the server? Seeing as you are not of royalty, you will obviously not need to defend from spies directly... unless, of course, someone's going to aim for you from the get-go? Someone with a vendetta out to get you? Don't be so paranoid man hahaha. Maybe I'll gun for you in the beginning so you can experience this head-on... maybe not hehe

4/26/2017 7:57:44 PM #15

Posted By chipla at 8:18 PM - Wed Apr 26 2017

I am not sure how game works...because there is no game to download yet and mostly find information in forum. The tool is just to see history of the recruit,this tool is used in the "other" game i mentioned and almost every recruiter use it,if its a serious "guild",its 100% secure and reliable and doesnt leave any private information about email,IP or phonenr. Discord you need do the hard work and find them.I suggest NEVER leave private information to people you dont know in internet.

Bothers me? I dont know yet,need learn the game. If i build something for 1 months work and some spie tip enemy come destroy it,then i would propably cry.