COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Recruitment and spies

I see this game gonna have a lot of spies joining guilds to get information about troop movements,plans etc.

I have been a recuiter on an other MMO game and they have a tool where a new recruit can create a key that recruiter can look a lot of information about the recruit,as transactions,assets,mails,skills etc,which can give a hint of it could be a spy. The key can be used as long he is in guild.

Is there any such tool for recruiter or any plans to make such in future?

4/27/2017 3:35:58 PM #31

Posted By Dleatherus at 07:47 AM - Thu Apr 27 2017

I second this thought...

Myrkul is always with us...

4/27/2017 4:03:10 PM #32

You can always recruit in ways that minimize the inclusion of spies. One thought off the top of my head is to avoid open calls for recruits. Meet people, then invite them without them showing direct interest. It's way easier to insert oneself as a spy when the organization is shouting from the rooftops that it is looking for people. You just have to show up and act interested.

At that point the problem becomes "how do I recruit the hundreds of people that will make us one of the biggest forces". You probably don't. But that's the trade-off. You want to quickly get to huge numbers, you are going to have to understand that your method isn't very secure and you will probably end up with some spies if you are something worth spying on.

As far as tracking people? The game shouldn't do any of that for you at all. There is no Elyrian NSA with worldwide digital tracking.

Join us on Discord!

4/27/2017 4:24:46 PM #33

I think alot of people are overlooking how hard it would be to catch a spy that reported all the information they found outside of the game, and how a metagame tool might be necessary to catch metagaming spies.

So much talk about "Follow them, get their mail, etc", but thats hard to do if they don't leave your lands or talk to/write to anyone in game.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

4/27/2017 6:05:52 PM #34

Posted By Falcon_ at

I see this game gonna have a lot of spies joining guilds to get information about troop movements,plans etc.

I have been a recuiter on an other MMO game and they have a tool where a new recruit can create a key that recruiter can look a lot of information about the recruit,as transactions,assets,mails,skills etc,which can give a hint of it could be a spy. The key can be used as long he is in guild.

Is there any such tool for recruiter or any plans to make such in future?

No real "key" like that here. The closest you would get to that would be hiring a third-party to investigate a person or group you're worried about.

My company, Elyrian Identity Center, could do such; however, how thoroughly screened they are depends on the amount of coin you're willing to pay.

Highest tier = we'll send someone to trail them for up to 7 days, more coin and we'll trail their associates too.

Most likely though, you'd probably contact us after the fact that you suspect you may have a spy (can be costly to screen every single person you admit).

4/27/2017 6:08:51 PM #35

Posted By Apaukolypse at 12:24 PM - Thu Apr 27 2017

I think alot of people are overlooking how hard it would be to catch a spy that reported all the information they found outside of the game, and how a metagame tool might be necessary to catch metagaming spies.

So much talk about "Follow them, get their mail, etc", but thats hard to do if they don't leave your lands or talk to/write to anyone in game.

And if they don't, that's suspicious in itself ;)

4/27/2017 6:19:10 PM #36

Well, assuming you have your own spies in enemy camps (and why wouldn't you?), if you suspect that one of your allies might be a spy, the classic movie way to 'discover' them is to just quietly feed them each different information and see what your own spies report back to you.

Of course, there are ways for an intelligent spy to get around that sort of trap.

The level of intrigue in CoE is going to set it miles apart from your standard 'go kill the same 25 rabbits you killed every day for the past six months' type MMO.

4/27/2017 6:29:32 PM #37

Thanks for all feedback,seems a key to check person history is bad idea,i didnt get any likes in posts,but now i stop continue this,so i can i get atleast one like? :)

Bedeude: Elyrian Identity Center,i think your business will go well.

4/27/2017 6:41:46 PM #38

The spy who joins the rank-and-file of your org is playing the long game with only marginal hope of gaining trusted access sufficient to accomplish anything significant. What you really need to worry about is the people who are already in your inner circle. They can be bought.

Make sure you're ready to pay more for their loyalty than your opponents are.

4/28/2017 3:36:01 PM #39

Posted By Bedeude at 2:08 PM - Thu Apr 27 2017

Posted By Apaukolypse at 12:24 PM - Thu Apr 27 2017

And if they don't, that's suspicious in itself ;)

Would it be though? There are plenty of introverts and other people who are uncomfortable with talking with a new group of people. I know whenever I join a new guild or such in some game I am playing, I usually only speak when spoken to until I feel more comfortable with them (which can take some time).

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

4/30/2017 12:52:03 AM #40

Posted By Apaukolypse at 08:36 AM - Fri Apr 28 2017

Would it be though? There are plenty of introverts and other people who are uncomfortable with talking with a new group of people. I know whenever I join a new guild or such in some game I am playing, I usually only speak when spoken to until I feel more comfortable with them (which can take some time).

Yeah, the real spies will be best buds with everyone. The lurker in the back country doesn't have access to information or influence.

5/15/2017 11:55:14 AM #41

With this high amount of misinformation besides bombastus, I would suspect the majority don't want to give out how spying in MMORPGs are done. Which is quite interesting.

No a key wouldn't work.

And it'd also be hard to recruit anyone that is questioned to death. Even then that wouldn't even come close to being straight shot successful.

The way spies exist in MMORPGs they can be inplants that are recruited naturally.

They can be pissed off at something and leak valuable information to neighboring rivals.

They can be within the kingdom to serve their own self interest of the city within the kingdom. or something just within this game's kingdom.

There is ways things you would have to go through to gain peoples trust. And in this game it will be harder than most, as there is very rarely any sort of common goal. Like get that trade pack to that island between two continents and the path you are taking to get there like in archeage.

You will also have a very hard time distinguishing friend and foe. Though I highly doubt we have implants now really we don't know who neighbors are or what have you. We will have potential alias' within each of the discords everyone created.

There is multitude of paths that would usher this in as a reality. And most people will use the economy of their city that they chose to be brought in. Not being payed by outsiders even in game,

Spies within video games is well. Hard to make out. The only confidential information should remain confidential. and make sure no one else knows about it other than those that you trust, when you give orders to troops or information that give some strategy for X Y and Z or when people gather and get information, that command only makes it out 10-15 minutes before the actual action, only give X time is meeting time.

Spies will set up during exposition. Spies may be joining groups now. Spies may be setting up networks with other spies to gather information to farther a specific affiliation's goals.

There is so much nuance to this whole thing. Spies will exist in some number, I know with almost certainty we have spies in vornair right now.