COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
weapons and armor

im not sure if this was discussed in the pass or not but are they going to go for realistic or not on weapons and armor ?

" Death is only the beginning ! "

Friend Code: 488BBA

4/26/2017 2:29:48 PM #1

Yes it's looking fairly realistic so far, won't be World of Warcraft-style swords the size of people and massive pauldrons etc.

4/26/2017 4:11:21 PM #2

so dose that mean arrow wont penetrate plate armor and only way to counter a plate armor are blunt weapons or am i wrong on this one

4/26/2017 5:20:16 PM #3

Heavier arrow heads, especially the bodkin points, can punch through armor at close range, especially the earlier plates. It wasn't until the Milanese style of armor from Italy with their "slack-quench" hardening techniques that arrows started bouncing and gliding around the plates. Arrows should still be able to punch through armor until certain technologies are researched. We can assume that the arrows will still do damage to armored fighters and an arms race of technology will keep things interesting. We're currently unsure if even plate armor will be available at the beginning.

4/26/2017 5:31:24 PM #4

well to be sure im gana carry a war hammer with me along with a short sword as a side weapon and a shield and spear as a mine weapon

4/26/2017 5:32:52 PM #5

Posted By Jouten at 12:20 PM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Heavier arrow heads, especially the bodkin points, can punch through armor at close range, especially the earlier plates. It wasn't until the Milanese style of armor from Italy with their "slack-quench" hardening techniques that arrows started bouncing and gliding around the plates. Arrows should still be able to punch through armor until certain technologies are researched. We can assume that the arrows will still do damage to armored fighters and an arms race of technology will keep things interesting. We're currently unsure if even plate armor will be available at the beginning.

I would assume no quality plate to start the game. And if they hold true to historic costs of items most players won't have any plate until a few years from the start let alone good plate. Production techniques will need to get efficient enough to make it cheap enough for the average player to afford in a realistic model.

4/26/2017 5:42:12 PM #6

@Kaynadin, I hope this is true. That or you'll see a whole lot of "old" armor en mass as new ones come in production.

4/26/2017 5:59:35 PM #7

Posted By skullscar at 09:11 AM - Wed Apr 26 2017

so dose that mean arrow wont penetrate plate armor and only way to counter a plate armor are blunt weapons or am i wrong on this one

That would make sense, as plate armor is meant to protect from most arrows. Though, keep in mind, armor of this type is typically heavy and will provide a burden unless the body is very strong. Also, nice signature! It's one of my favorite sayings...

Myrkul is always with us...

4/26/2017 6:01:32 PM #8

I can see something like steel plate being pierced by an arrowhead made of harder material, of course, so there's also that...

4/26/2017 6:02:31 PM #9

Posted By skullscar at 10:31 AM - Wed Apr 26 2017

well to be sure im gana carry a war hammer with me along with a short sword as a side weapon and a shield and spear as a mine weapon

Your character better be really strong. That's a lot of weight in just weapons for one person to carry around so often...

4/26/2017 7:06:51 PM #10

Posted By Grim at 1:02 PM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Posted By skullscar at 10:31 AM - Wed Apr 26 2017

Your character better be really strong. That's a lot of weight in just weapons for one person to carry around so often...

Right. This idea that people will be walking around with 3 or 4 primary weapons are just misguided. Assuming they have armor on as well along with a pack, you won't make it very far very quickly with a hundred pounds of gear on you.

4/26/2017 7:20:50 PM #11

@Kaynadin your avatar looks like nightmare fuel because of his expression and the popout of the eyes. Just a random thought I had hahaha Cheers!

4/26/2017 7:32:58 PM #12

Posted By skullscar at 05:31 AM - Thu Apr 27 2017

You most probably won't be able to carry these many weapons at once. WYSIWYG being in this game you will look pretty tasty to anyone who is evil enough to sack you of all your gear with that many anyway so you should probably decide on two weapons max for now.

4/26/2017 7:59:38 PM #13

well how much can you carry in this game in real life i did a research people in my country back in the days when we had tribes they use shield spears and a sword and knife as a side arm but we dont use metal armor cause we live in a tropical island and that shit would drag you down in a fight if the ground is unstable so they really on parrying instead of armor

4/26/2017 9:48:01 PM #14

Actually the Philippines did have armor.

Here's a modern day representation of it in pop culture.

Stannis Baratheon's armour in Game of Thrones

And the equipment you're talking about is for someone who's geared out to go to war. If you're traveling, chances are you'll have your shield and your spear (unless you're using it as a walking stick) stashed on a mount or at home.

I'm also half Filipino btw.

4/26/2017 9:52:21 PM #15

I've always liked novelty weapons like bladed playing cards, bladed fans, hidden blades, dangerous things in stuff that seem harmless..I'm going to try my best to product things like these if possible.