COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
new front page makes people think coe is pay to win?!

so i told a friend to check out coe and when i later asked him if he did, he said that he did for a moment until he realized its expensive & pay to win. upon further investigation i found out he came to that conclusion because he clicked the "what role will you play in elyria's living story" banner on the front page and was taken to the store without any further explanation.

while i do think both the new banner and the store look great i totally understand his confusion (knowing nothing about the game jet) and wonder if there are other first time visitors who get put off by this.

4/27/2017 12:41:21 PM #1

And how does one "win" in CoE? :D

4/27/2017 1:27:34 PM #2

I can see understand this... some people may turn around and say no after taking a quick glance into the store without some prior knowledge of the system. However, I think trying to force the issue there that the store is not p2w can have negative effects too. What would you propose as an alternative to what SBS currently has setup as a home page? @Schafott

4/27/2017 1:28:04 PM #3

This is an interesting conversation and I think it might be beneficial if there were a SBS made video or community made video that was easily accessible to give to people like these that outline how it really ISN'T pay to win because it's going to be dangerous for everyone (and more dangerous for kings and dukes).

Sha'harizi County - Capital City of Ah'wena - Countess Aria - Kitlandria!

4/27/2017 1:34:24 PM #4

I'm not sure how your friend got pay to win from that. If anything it's just forward with "back us". Sounds more like a reason not to bother looking into anymore.

4/27/2017 1:56:05 PM #5

It might help it COE had something in the store stating it is not P2W(before you click on the packages or state how you can earn and lose everything you see here.)...I can see people clicking on packages, seeing "I can be a king" and thinking they won.. I think they should be upfront about the payment system for now because either people will think you are upfront about it or if you have to look then you are hiding it..Hopefully, people will take a bit of extra time to investigate the game instead of turning away.

4/27/2017 2:03:44 PM #6

Posted By Gunnlang at 3:34 PM - Thu Apr 27 2017

I'm not sure how your friend got pay to win from that. If anything it's just forward with "back us". Sounds more like a reason not to bother looking into anymore.

you go to a page of a game you don't know.

there is a header saying: "what role will you play in elyria's living story?"

you click it expecting some kind of information about the game. you get to a page selling you those roles and the decent seaming ones cost a lot of money.

i know that coe is not pay to win but someone just discovering the game and doing those steps (as my friend did) may not stay around long enough to find out about the awsomeness this game is shaping up to be.

4/27/2017 2:38:40 PM #7

Yeah it is a bit of a problem. When SBS says "what role will you play?" I dont think choosing between different levels of fame is what they are going for. I think the message they want to get across and that they should go across is that you can be a blacksmith, or a cartographer or a delivery man or a tax collector or a farmer.

This is the idea that should be more explained and sold first. After that can sell the idea of property and how it helps you in fulfilling roles with who has property and how you get some. Then introduce nobility and how you can raise through the ranks if you can accept the responsibility and obligations that come with the role And then you can sell the ability to purchase higher tier pledges.

This should happen out of shop first, people are going to want to pay after being sold on the game. Shoving a shop in a persons face first chance you get does exactly opposite of the intended goal.

4/27/2017 2:40:35 PM #8

Star Citizen got and gets a lot of flak for it's $15,000 Completionist Package. It's no different here.

NA-W "Angelica"

4/27/2017 2:46:30 PM #9

I agree that's a terrible page for the front page. Honestly, I'm surprised Caspian would have put something like that on the front page, it does nothing to talk about the story of COE...

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.

4/27/2017 2:47:43 PM #10

They definitely should explain more to people about the "Roles" in Elyria before throwing the Store page at them.

Posted By Kurko at 08:41 AM - Thu Apr 27 2017

Dangerous logic my friend. Very dangerous.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

4/27/2017 2:51:40 PM #11

Posted By Kurko at 05:41 AM - Thu Apr 27 2017

You "Win" by having fun playing the role you've chosen and interacting with the community around you while in-game imho 😍

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

4/27/2017 3:00:42 PM #12

Posted By Schafott at 12:03 AM - Fri Apr 28 2017

you go to a page of a game you don't know.

there is a header saying: "what role will you play in elyria's living story?"

you click it expecting some kind of information about the game.

I would take it that they want money and are pushing you more. I get where you are coming from, but I still don't see pay to win from that. More so since it's basically common knowledge or should be. That if you back a game early you will get bonuses for doing so. It's not the best thing and would be better to lead to information. I always found it odd you have to be signed in to even see the store in the first place.

4/27/2017 3:17:18 PM #13

I like the new image, though leading with Discover Elyria information would probably make the link to the pledge packages a little less on the nose.

4/27/2017 4:58:09 PM #14

Hail Elyrians,

Thanks for the feedback. I think the outreach team was looking to put something new and fresh on the banner rather than just "Store is finally here!". We didn't interpret the banner as "Pay to Win" because we clearly understand what P2W is, and why we're not. What was meant by roles was the different player experiences - adventurer, gentry, aristocracy, and nobility. As with our own world, politicians aren't winning at life more than scientists or store owners. So for us it was a compelling statement.

That said, getting this kind of feedback from the community is great. In the absence of knowing more about the game I can see where you're coming from. I'll forward the message on to the outreach team.

However, the banner is changing again soon anyways in celebration of our Kickstarter Anniversary stuff. :-) So it won't be there for long.

4/27/2017 5:02:24 PM #15

Starting to think "Pay 2 Win" are the magic words that summon Devs to a thread.

I will have to test this theory some more.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏